SpeedFan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexcheng1979

SpeedFan?

Post by alexcheng1979 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:02 pm

I have seem many people in this forum refers a fan controler called "SpeedFan".
How does SpeedFan works and where can I get it?
Thanks

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:32 pm

A 3 second trip to google produced the SpeedFan homepage:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
SpeedFan Homepage wrote:SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors fan speeds, temperatures and voltages in computers with hardware monitoring chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info for those hard disks that support this feature (almost all :-)) and show hard disk temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some motherboards. At the lowest level, SpeedFan is an hardware monitoring software, but its main feature is that it can control the speed of the fans (depending on your sensor chip) according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise and power consumption
Check the list of supported motherboards to see if your's is there

alexcheng1979

Post by alexcheng1979 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:59 pm

Thanks for the info
I checked the site and yes my mobo and chipset are supported (Asus P4S333, Sis 645).
There I understand how SpeedFan controls and monitor HDD and CPU fan. But how about other case fan? I have a Panaflow 80mm on the back run full 12v. How do I get SpeedFan to control that one?

And is SpeedFan considered the best Fan controler?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:47 pm

The fan has to be plugged into your motherboard for it to be controlled by speedfan. You can wire a 3 pin socket onto it instead of the molex it has now.

There's another program called FanSpeed that is similar, but SpeedFan supports more motherboards. The link for FanSpeed can be found on the Links page.

Speaking of which; Hey Mike, how come FanSpeed is there, but not SpeedFan? Speedfan is mentioned in the description of Fanspeed but isn't linked.

alexcheng1979

Post by alexcheng1979 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:11 pm

Thanks for the input!
I have a Antec True380 with the fan only connector.
If you were me, would you connect CPU fan and/or case fan to Antec's fan only or go with SpeedFan by plug into mobo?
Which will do a better job?

PS. I haven't try the fan only on the Antec but I will try both method later to see the result.

Renod

Post by Renod » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:52 pm

alexcheng1979 wrote:Thanks for the input!
I have a Antec True380 with the fan only connector.
If you were me, would you connect CPU fan and/or case fan to Antec's fan only or go with SpeedFan by plug into mobo?
Which will do a better job?

PS. I haven't try the fan only on the Antec but I will try both method later to see the result.
Go with the Antec fan only connectors. If you have several fans, it will do a better job of keeping everything quiet. Speedfan is good, but you really are limited to the fans you can connect to the mobo, usually the HSF plus one case fan. With the Antec, you can control more fans and more powerful fans than are supported by the mobo headers (limited to 360mA in most boards) and get the benefit of the PSU working in concert with all of your case fans.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:36 am

I'd also suggest going with the Antec Fan-omly connectors. They run just a little above 5V at their default cool setting, yet wiil give near 11V at their max setting. I'm running my 120mm L1A as the exhaust fan off of the fan-only connector and it is damn near silent. Case temps stay under 30C always.