Modern Phrases That Confuse Me

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Modern Phrases That Confuse Me

Post by aristide1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:23 pm

I'm sure you've heard at least some of these, usually from the TV. For some reason redundancy makes something more impressive, does it?

1. A new discovery! - As opposed to an old discovery, or as opposed to a new same-old-thing? Why new and discovery? Perhaps it's "more complete" that way?

2. More complete! - Ah yes, of course. I used to think of "complete" like being pregnant. You either are or you are not. There is no "little bit pregnant." I could continue, but some might think my long windedness might be more complete, and we can't have that.

3. The more you spend the more you save! - The first time I heard this I couldn't believe someone even put these words together in this manner. The instant response was "Really? So I'll be rich when I'm broke?" I suppose using a credit card may make me "more broke?" Or should that be "more rich?" Sounds too much like more complete to me.

Add your own gems and we can make the list most complete. :shock:

Olle P

Re: Modern Phrases That Confuse Me

Post by Olle P » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Some of these can actually make sense...
aristide1 wrote:1. A new discovery! - As opposed to an old discovery, ...?
I suppose so. This discovery wasn't made decades ago, but recently!
aristide1 wrote:2. More complete! - Ah yes, of course. I used to think of "complete" like being pregnant. You either are or you are not.
Exactly! More complete is useful when laying a jigsaw puzzle. After finishing 20% of it it's a little complete. With 40% of the pieces in place it's more complete. Not until all pieces are in place it's just "complete".

Now to some of my pet peeves:

LCD display - The D in LCD stands for "display"!
... and in the same manner...
PC computer

Cheers
Olle

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Well I hate when people say "I could care less", if you could care less then it implies that you do care some. The saying is "I couldn't care less", as the care jar is completely empty and I don't give a F$%#.

yefi

Post by yefi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:39 pm

"Touching base" may not confuse me, but it sure does send a shiver up my back when it's suggested to me.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:33 pm

GamingGod wrote:...The saying is "I couldn't care less"....
The last person I corrected that mistake was an elementary grade english teacher. Go figure.

Oh you know when I need to communicate with someone I call or email or just talk. I don't "reach out".

Of course there are people who say "That's what I'm talking about....", even when they weren't talking to begin with.

And just for clarity, when one is smacked upside the head, that's the top right? And I'm curious, what's the middle part called these days?

"Sounds like a plan." Sorry no, just a passing thought. Going for ice cream doesn't require planning, unless you been hit upside the head too many times. That's what I'm talking about. 8)

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:22 pm

yefi wrote:"Touching base" may not confuse me, but it sure does send a shiver up my back when it's suggested to me.
omg... i hate that one. and all the other corporate doublespeak people throw around the office... here are some other office catch phrases that might sap away your faith in humanity...

going forward - i caught myself using this the other day... barf...
as per - apparently is also grammatically incorrect as well as annoying
knowledge transfer - the idiocy of this is beyond words...

i can't think of any more right now, but i KNOW i'll hear at least a dozen more at my departmental meeting tomorrow... hey, i'll make a point to take notes on corporate jargon that annoys me.. maybe it'll help me stay awake.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 pm

mr. poopyhead wrote: i can't think of any more right now, but i KNOW i'll hear at least a dozen more at my departmental meeting tomorrow... hey, i'll make a point to take notes on corporate jargon that annoys me.. maybe it'll help me stay awake.
May I suggest a game of Bullshit Bingo to make things a bit livelier?

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:15 pm

nick705 wrote:May I suggest a game of Bullshit Bingo to make things a bit livelier?
HAHAHA.. that is awesome!!! i wish i had seen this post before the productivity-sapping meeting i sat through for 6 hours today...

one word that i heard at LEAST 10x today just vaulted itself to the top on my list of most hated corporate weasel words...
actionable... what a silly bit of tripe...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:58 pm

actionable
ow Ow OW OW! That's awful.

But now I am curious. If I place on a target on someone's head does he become actionable? You never did say what the action should be. 8)

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 pm

FAIL, or EPIC FAIL - What's so funny about it? Please tell me... I'm not living in a english speaking country, but to me it seems like the word fail is like a hundred times more common now than only a few years ago.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:05 am

Mats wrote:FAIL, or EPIC FAIL - What's so funny about it? Please tell me... I'm not living in a english speaking country, but to me it seems like the word fail is like a hundred times more common now than only a few years ago.
u dunno wut iz fail? lol EPIC FAIL

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 am

LodeHacker wrote:u dunno wut iz fail? lol EPIC FAIL
Yeah, funny. You don't even know yourself what's so funny about it, otherwise you'd tell me. :D

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:38 am

There's WIN and there's FAIL. Occasionally, one of those is EPIC.

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:58 am

Matija wrote:There's WIN and there's FAIL. Occasionally, one of those is EPIC.
You seem to know just as much as I do. :lol:

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 am

I'm guessing that fail came from the general laziness that created leet and epic is just gross hyperbole.

I think going forward isn't always bad, just when it is horribly used in the corporate world. There are legitimate times to use going forward.

With more complete, what if you had something that was complete at the time, but you found more things to add to it? The new version would also be complete, but it would have more stuff in it. Or... what if you had a collection of the Beetles #1 hits...

Complete: All of the songs that were #1 in the US
More complete: All of the songs that were #1 anywhere
Most complete: All of the songs that were #1 anywhere with live and foreign language versions.

I don't know, I am really digging on this one... 8)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 am

Ch0z3n WIN

neumein

Post by neumein » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:43 am

One we have on the wall at where I work (Hungry Jacks aka Aussie Burger King);

"We place a premium on speed and quality of service."
Sheesh.

With how much a meal costs these days, I would expect a gold-frickin-platter and a waiter.

EDIT: typos

L2GX

Post by L2GX » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 am

This one is Dutch; but it does annoy the living daylights out of me..

'Naar de bevolking toe"

Which means 'moving to the population'. Now, given the geographical spread of any population, it's a very odd phrase to use correctly. Belgium does not have an 'air force one' that can move towards the population.

Politicians use this however to render some sort of vague 'cloud' of responsibilities and dependances, which translates somewhat as "in response to the demands expressed by the poopulation."

'We have responsabilities moving to the population'
'..supposes no protective action moving to the population'
'it's not fair to remain silent about this moving to the population'
'it's a service moving to the population'

Aaaaargh!

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:25 am

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, it's... basically... you know... well, it's obvious innit.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:22 am

How about "went missing," a current pet peeve of mine. These days some rotten little brat does not simply "disappear," he "goes missing." UGH. I wish the reporters and news people that use this would simply disappear. Preferably in the most painful manner possible.

Being "Proactive." A business-school invented catch phrase (there are literally hundreds of these, they all irritate me) for simply anticipating something and acting accordingly.

"The next level," see business-school catch phrase rant, above. An exceptionally vague and asinine phrase. Usually only serves to identify the speaker or writer as an idiot and manipulator of colossal magnitude.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 am

How exactly do you propose we say we don't know where someone or something has gone since the last time we had seen them?

Disappeared doesn't work because they more than likely still exist and didn't vanish while you were watching them.

Lost doesn't work because you don't have to be lost to be missing; you could have simply decided to leave.

I guess the best you could really do is "...has been missing since..." instead of "...went missing..."

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:55 am

just like lcd display...

ATM Machine

So its an Automatic Teller Machine Machine?

Duck Tape

Its for freaking Ducts not Ducks!

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:07 am

I believe there is a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:10 am

Ch0z3n wrote:How exactly do you propose we say we don't know where someone or something has gone since the last time we had seen them?

Disappeared doesn't work because they more than likely still exist and didn't vanish while you were watching them.

Lost doesn't work because you don't have to be lost to be missing; you could have simply decided to leave.

I guess the best you could really do is "...has been missing since..." instead of "...went missing..."
Perhaps a more accurate description of what happened. Example: "The little, screaming brat was not where his mother left him when she returned for him at 3:00pm."

This whole "went (has gone, etc.) missing" nonsense is fairly new. I don't recall hearing it prior to, say, 2000. Certainly, for most of my 53 years, reporters were quite content to use the term "disappeared." Example: "When his mother returned at 3:00pm, the little brat had disappeared. The neighbors rejoyced."

The first definition of "disappear," in the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition, is "To pass out of sight, vanish." Further, to quote from the "Synonyms" section for "disappear:" The central meaning of these words is "to pass out of sight or existance."" An example the editors give is "A skyscraper disappearing in the fog." A skyscraper vanishing in the fog certainly does not cease to exist, and there seems to be no requirement for an observer from which it disappears. There is an implication that IF an observer was present that observer would notice the skyscraper disappearing from view.

What I am saying is that "disappear" works very well, and it is a much cleaner way of stating it than the horribly awkward "gone (went, etc.) missing."

And, for what it is worth, the phrase "went missing" is grammatically correct. The verb "go," of which "went" is the past tense can be used to describe a change of state: "My hair went grey several years ago." Really, it did. Started to go grey when I was in my mid-twenties. See how well it works. And "missing" is a change of state, so it can be used with "go." But it is awkward and sounds stilted. The stilted sound or construction of "go missing," is emphasized by the, usually, very casual style of writing for news reporting in which the phrase is set. In that context, "disappeared" simply flows better, is not inaccurate, and sounds much better.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:22 am

No, the skyscraper isn't going out of existence, just sight; they are two different definitions.

It seems to me it would be more correct to use disappeared if the little brat is the one that left and went missing if you left and when you came back the little brat wasn't there anymore.

Just because you can't see them anymore doesn't mean they've gone anywhere. If they are still where they were they aren't missing; though you might have lost them.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 am

"Missing" means "can not be found".
That seems to me to be an acceptable word to use when a brat (otherwise known as someones child, that they probably love more than anything else in the world) cannot be found.
Disappeared means that something goes out of view - the opposite to appear.
Vanished means that something goes away, permanently - like washing out a stain on your shirt.
The English language is wonderful in that it has so many words that describe very similar things, but those words have subtly different meanings and are often misused. People generally understand what you mean, given the context, and it's really not worth making a fuss about it.

N7SC

Post by N7SC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:11 am

Exactly, Judge, exactly.

What gets me riled up is the way that "gone missing," issuing breathlessly and enthusiastically from the mouths of reporters, has become a way of their showing off how trendy and cool they are. Or some social strutting thing like that. At least over here, "gone missing" became a trend in the last five years or so. Kind of like "Look at me, I can use the latest, coolest phrases, and I'm so cool." thing from the usually hyperactive, overexcited (about themselves and their meaningless and annoying reporting) reporters.

Several years ago, the same sort of trend started with the phrase "A decision has been taken." Note that it is passive, and the, at the time, unusual (for the US) use of "taken" instead of "made." The spokesman for President Bush Sr. (1989-1993) used it, then everyone else had to get in on the Oh, SOooo Cool action. Before that, a simple "He has made a decision," or better yet, "He has made up his mind" would have done.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:22 am

Well if we're going to address improper words there are:

Base - The base from my subwoofer is awesome. Really? How's the rest of it's physical structure?

Quite - I want a pc that's quite. Uh, quite what?

I believe these mistakes have devloped from that english teacher I mentioned before; the one who could care less, and seems to work really hard at that very aspect. 8)

N7SC

Post by N7SC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 am

judge56988 wrote:a brat (otherwise known as someones child, that they probably love more than anything else in the world)
No, meaning an overindulged little piece of excrement that likely needs the living daylights slapped -- Oh, my, I seem to be in an unusually cranky mood today. Well, most kids, at least here in the US, certainly DO fit my description and opinion, as expressed above.

But, the gripe with the phrase "gone [went, etc.] missing" remains whether applied to brats, adults (physically big brats, usually), or objects.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:26 am

N7SC wrote:No, meaning an overindulged little piece of excrement that likely needs the living daylights slapped -- Oh, my, I seem to be in an unusually cranky mood today. Well, most kids, at least here in the US, certainly DO fit my description and opinion, as expressed above.
Agreed, your mood doesn't alter the accuracy of your statement.

And one of these brats will one day be president. :shock: