Motherboard for intel Core 2 Duo P8400

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rodrigosg

Motherboard for intel Core 2 Duo P8400

Post by rodrigosg » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:54 am

Hi,
I have a intel core 2 Duo Mobile P8400 and i want to use it for a HD HTPC built in a HFX Classic chassis but i'm having a problem to get a motheroard that support this processor. I have found 3 motherboards but they are all mini-itx.
  • Jetway NF93 Core 2 Duo Mobile Mini-ITX Mainboard
    AOpen i45GMt-HD Core 2 Duo Mobile Mini-ITX Mainboard
    MSI Industrial IM-GM45 Core 2 Duo Mobile Mini-ITX Mainboard
The problem is that i don't want to use any of those boards, they are very small and i can't get a graphic card and a sound card on it.
The motherboard as to have the chipset G45 because the support for HD in hardware.
Does anyone can help me? i will be apreciated

quest_for_silence

Re: Motherboard for intel Core 2 Duo P8400

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:18 am

rodrigosg wrote:Does anyone can help me? i will be apreciated
Socket P MoDT boards are rare, precious, and very often either outdated or underpowered. Another BIG issue is the medium voltage of the P-Penryns: usually MoDT/industrial boards support only std. voltage cpus (T-Penryns).

Anyway, you have to check industrial-PC makers (as Commell, BMC, but also the industrial arm of ASUS - Pegatron -, DFI, or MSI - maybe the MSI mobo you quoted is a µATX, http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodd ... od_no=1628) in order to find out one (if any).

IEI IMB3010M could be a further (and maybe the least) example, or even Global American 2807800: http://www.globalamericaninc.com/p28078 ... _info.html (even if I dunno if it supports Penryns).

Moreover, give a read to this thread: viewtopic.php?t=50954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.

Regards,
Luca

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:43 am

rodrigosg wrote:... The problem is that i don't want to use any of those boards, they are very small and i can't get a graphic card and a sound card on it.
The motherboard as to have the chipset G45 because the support for HD in hardware.
Does anyone can help me? i will be apreciated
If you plan on putting a graphics card in it then the chipset itself shouldn't matter as the graphics card will be able to handle the HD decoding. (assuming that graphics card supports HD decoding) Are you just going to use it for HTPC stuff or do you plan on gaming some on it too? If it's just for video and you do have a chipset that support HD decoding, then I would think the extra graphics card would be unnecessary. And do you have specific audio needs that the onboard audio can't handle? I'm not an audiophile myself and onboard sound is plenty for me. But I know others aren't happy with the quality or abilities of onboard sound. Just trying to get an idea of what you want out of this thing.

rodrigosg

Post by rodrigosg » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:07 am

quest_for_silence wrote: Socket P MoDT boards are rare, precious, and very often either outdated or underpowered. Another BIG issue is the medium voltage of the P-Penryns: usually MoDT/industrial boards support only std. voltage cpus (T-Penryns).
I have notice that, i'm having some issues about it

Anyway, you have to check industrial-PC makers (as Commell, BMC, but also the industrial arm of ASUS - Pegatron -, DFI, or MSI - maybe the MSI mobo you quoted is a µATX
I have to check these industrial-PC makers but the problem may be that the boards usually don't have DVI or HDMI outputs.I will check it.

BillyBuerger wrote: If you plan on putting a graphics card in it then the chipset itself shouldn't matter as the graphics card will be able to handle the HD decoding. (assuming that graphics card supports HD decoding)
You are correct about it and i'm aware of that if the graphic card fails i have to ensure that there's a alternative in the moment.
Are you just going to use it for HTPC stuff or do you plan on gaming some on it too? If it's just for video and you do have a chipset that support HD decoding, then I would think the extra graphics card would be unnecessary. And do you have specific audio needs that the onboard audio can't handle? I'm not an audiophile myself and onboard sound is plenty for me. But I know others aren't happy with the quality or abilities of onboard sound. Just trying to get an idea of what you want out of this thing.
Regarding this question the HTPC it's for all things, playing games and HD movies with a BD drive and a ATI 4670 . i will use this sound card - Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 or the Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD, already in study. I haven't say all the configuration because i don't think that was relevant but...

Thanks to for the replys

Rodrigo Gomes

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:47 am

rodrigosg wrote:I have to check these industrial-PC makers but the problem may be that the boards usually don't have DVI or HDMI outputs.I will check it.
I mean You have to cope too many requirements: P-Penryns, PCIE, HD IGP, etc. You seriously risk to run out of luck.

The general issue is that almost ever GM µATX boards don't sport HD acceleration at all (on the contrary, mITX boards sport HDMI but no PCIE for external graphics).

Regards,
Luca

allen2

Post by allen2 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 pm

I found an ATX GM45 socket P motherboard with a lot of interisting features.
Here is the ref: Protech PMB-732LF.
I'm planning to build a low power and a low noise PC with it. I requested a quote and will keep you updated but so far this is the best MB i found.
If you need, micro-atx format MB, there is MSI GM45 speedster (in workstation section on the global site) but i didn't found any reseller for this.

rodrigosg

Post by rodrigosg » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:02 am

allen2 wrote:I found an ATX GM45 socket P motherboard with a lot of interisting features.
Here is the ref: Protech PMB-732LF.
I'm planning to build a low power and a low noise PC with it. I requested a quote and will keep you updated but so far this is the best MB i found.
If you need, micro-atx format MB, there is MSI GM45 speedster (in workstation section on the global site) but i didn't found any reseller for this.
hi,
it really looks good the Protech PMB-732LF. thanks for the tip. I will wait for your results and i will read about the MB.
The problem in the MSI GM45 speedster is that it's a little big for the case i got, but it's a solution... the reseller problem it's another thing.
Well if i have any more news i will post.
thanks

Rodrigo Gomes