DarkUltra

AOpen i965GMt-LA noisy gpu, cold boot and smartfan problems

Post by DarkUltra » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:59 am

Hi!
A small report on this mini ITX MoTD motherboard

Pros:
ITX standard, DVI, superfast PCIe Gigabit LAN, Penryn support

Cons:
No overclock options in bios, need bios upgrade to support Penryn, no FireWire, small CPU cooler, noisy GPU

When off for 2 hours or more, the system does not POST. Must hold inn power button 4< seconds to shut off, then on and it works. Smartfan runs the fan at 1000rpm no matter how hot CPU gets. Noise when GPU is used, like moving around or minimizing/maximizing a window in Vista Aero, and running a 3d app.

I'm going to test some more then ask for a RMA. I might have gotten a lemon or done something bad

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:09 am

I am considering the i965GMt-LA for a small HTPC as the specs look very promising IMO. (Also it is part of an HFX Micro bundle I am considering).

Is the GPU noise a short low "whiny" noise that occurs when you scroll in windows etc? I think that is a fairly common issue. I have encountered it using several different gfx cards and mobos.

I am less worried about the CPU cooler and fan control as the HFX case is a heatsink case so I should be able to run fanless.

Do you have any experience running media with it?

Hope you get the POST issue sorted.

Quite a vintage cellphone you have there btw. :)

DarkUltra

Post by DarkUltra » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:44 am

that HFX Micro case sure looks pretty, and even noiseless! My travla is sweet too though :) I've replaced the bundled fan with a noctua 80mm and its completely silent. Mounted soft. The bundled Aopen fan is noisy, even at lowest speed when the CPU idles.

I've returned the Board and gotten a new one - same cold boot problem. :(

Is there anyone here that have it working and what CPU + Type of memory do you use?

Intel C2D t7700
2x2GB kingston 6400 KVR800D2S5/2G
2x1GB hynix 5300 555-12 HYMP512S64CP8-Y5 AB-T

DarkUltra

Post by DarkUltra » Fri May 16, 2008 7:15 am

OK, I've tried another type of RAM and it works too, but I figured out something else. No matter what ram I have, the board boots when connected to monitor through CRT (DVI to CRT adapter). If I connect directly with DVI it hangs during post.

Another finding; If I press off button within 1/2 second I can turn off the board. If I wait longer, it hangs as usual. I'll wait for a board with Intel X4500 I guess, Vista and PicLens is a bit slow with this board at res 1920x1200 (big! cheap but good 24" benq g2400w)

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Fri May 16, 2008 7:34 am

I've sometimes had similar kinds of problems when switching from d-sub to DVI. What has fixed it is going into Safe Mode (while on d-sub), uninstalling the driver, switching to DVI and re-installing the driver. Your problem sounds somewhat different, but you might try it.

rodrigosg

Help With AOpen I965GMt-LA

Post by rodrigosg » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:07 am

I have a MotherBoard AOpen I965GMt-LA and a processor Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile P8400 1066MHz FSB but with the Bios Update R1.06 doesn't work. Can anyone help me???

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Help With AOpen I965GMt-LA

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:37 pm

rodrigosg wrote: the Bios Update R1.06 doesn't work. Can anyone help me???
I suspect a bit more detail might help solve your problem.

rodrigosg

Post by rodrigosg » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
rodrigosg wrote: the Bios Update R1.06 doesn't work. Can anyone help me???
I suspect a bit more detail might help solve your problem.

More detail... i have monted the motherboard AOpen I965GMt-LA with a processor that seems not to be indicated to the motherboard. Looking at this page http://global.aopen.com/RCL.aspx the only problem is the FSB speed but from AOpen Bios update version R1.06 it seems that the motherboard can support de penryn processors (all?). Do i have to buy other processors in order to the board start working? I ask if anyone knows of a solution to solve the problem because i really don't want to spend more money. Thanks.

ex.treme

Post by ex.treme » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:23 pm

rodrigosg wrote:I have a MotherBoard AOpen I965GMt-LA and a processor Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile P8400 1066MHz FSB but with the Bios Update R1.06 doesn't work. Can anyone help me???

Maybe because that mb is just for 800 fsb cpu.

http://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?Auno=2616

DarkUltra

Post by DarkUltra » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:28 am

Now the cold boot problem seems gone, but I get "no signal" message on the monitor BenQ G2400W when connected DVI and can't even see the POST or BIOS, or anything after Vista has booted. An older monitor works, but the BenQ also works at an older PC with DVI. Does this board even support 1920x1200?

rodrigosg

Problem with Realtek Gigabit LAN

Post by rodrigosg » Thu May 07, 2009 6:14 am

Hi,
does anyone have problems with the Realtek Gigabit LAN for Vista?
I've notice that if the board it's working for several hours and then i reboot for some reason, Vista get me a message that the Realtek Gigabit LAN is not instaled.
If i let it off by +- 15 min then it's working well again. I thing it's strange. I allready have the latest drivers from AOpen site "realtek_lan_6.196_vista".

Thanks for any help

DarkUltra

Post by DarkUltra » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:41 am

rodrigosg,

I had that problem in the beginning, but it seems to have vanished. Maybe it was a bios update. What bios do you have? I have the latest 1.11.

rodrigosg

Post by rodrigosg » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 am

DarkUltra wrote:rodrigosg,

I had that problem in the beginning, but it seems to have vanished. Maybe it was a bios update. What bios do you have? I have the latest 1.11.
Hello, thanks for the reply.
Yes, i have the latest Bios update, and i have tried with several Bios and the problem still the same. I have made tests with Bios R1.06, 1.07 and 1.11.
To solve the problem i have put a USB RJ45 device but it's not the best solution...i also have tried to talk to AOPen but they said that can't reproduce the same problem...
I will wait for a bios update or drivers...

DarkUltra

Re:

Post by DarkUltra » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 am

rodrigosg wrote:Hello, thanks for the reply.
Yes, i have the latest Bios update, and i have tried with several Bios and the problem still the same. I have made tests with Bios R1.06, 1.07 and 1.11.
To solve the problem i have put a USB RJ45 device but it's not the best solution...i also have tried to talk to AOPen but they said that can't reproduce the same problem...
I will wait for a bios update or drivers...
Direct them to this thread. I can confirm I have exactly the same problem. Sometimes we have to use a USB WLAN device. If we do not touch the mouse or the keyboard until the logon process is complete and the network icon has appeared, it usually works. Recently i have installed windows 7 64bit ultimate and the problem is still there. Give them your full system specs, including harddrive, mouse and keyboard.

DarkUltra

Re:

Post by DarkUltra » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:51 am

DarkUltra wrote:Now the cold boot problem seems gone, but I get "no signal" message on the monitor BenQ G2400W when connected DVI and can't even see the POST or BIOS, or anything after Vista has booted. An older monitor works, but the BenQ also works at an older PC with DVI. Does this board even support 1920x1200?
I tried with a dual-link DVI cable, and now it works fine.