Unlucky owner of Seasonic SS300-FS...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rmarango

Unlucky owner of Seasonic SS300-FS...

Post by rmarango » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:02 pm

I've just bought a brand new Seasonic SS300-FS with active PFC.
Very satisfied with noise level I try to test it at major load running some heavy benchmarks (3dmark, etc. ).
After a while, my temp. monitor reported a case temperature unusually high.
So I open the case and check everything (with power still on) , first anomaly is that power supply case is mildly hot :x .
Then I check the fan visually ... and to my horror it is deadly stopped :!: :!: :!:
I turn off everything and try to turn on again the p.c. but the fan isn't running anymore...so turn off and wait for the cooling down.
Turn on after 10 mins or so, and the fan is still alive and kicking :?
Try again the benchmark and after few minutes again same behaviour :evil:
I wonder if they installed my thermistor with a negative control law :( , since if the temp. raises the fan is stopped instead of being speeded up :x .
Anyone sharing the same experience with Seasonic ?

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:54 pm

I recently read that certain fans, including some Pabsts, don't start reliably with low voltage, and they need full voltage to start spining. One person suggested soldering a 10-50uF capacitor across the thermistor to provide this during the first few seconds.

I've also had some sleeve bearing fans that were inadequately lubricated, including some Deltas on retail boxed AMD CPUs that even squealed.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:03 am

rmarango, that's the oddest psu fan behavior I've heard of. Contact your dealer.

rmarango

Post by rmarango » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:08 am

larrymoencurly wrote:I recently read that certain fans, including some Pabsts, don't start reliably with low voltage, and they need full voltage to start spining. One person suggested soldering a 10-50uF capacitor across the thermistor to provide this during the first few seconds.

I've also had some sleeve bearing fans that were inadequately lubricated, including some Deltas on retail boxed AMD CPUs that even squealed.
The fan started correctly also with the low voltage supplied initially.
The problem was present only with higher loads and consequently higher temperatures.
I agree with Mike that is quite odd but the fan actually stopped to work after few mins in heavy load condition :shock: .
It should be exactly the opposite, so I will have a replacement of the power supply tonight by my dealer 8) .
I will keep you informed.

Thanks for your reply :D .

rmarango

Post by rmarango » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:19 pm

Tried the new one and after a torture test of 2 hours everything run smooth :D .
I'm finally very satisfied with noise level and voltage stabilities of this brand new power supply 8) .