Sealing Top Exhaust P183?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Lord09

Sealing Top Exhaust P183?

Post by Lord09 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:18 am

Hello all,

Seems most people are sealing the top exhaust vent in the P183. I was just wondering what the general 'best' method if there even is one to seal it.

If I just removed the fan and didn't seal the exhaust vent, how 'bad' would this be?

Thanks.

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Artificial leather. (The last time I said that, people were laughing, but what can you do.)

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:18 pm

I havent sealed one myself, but a piece of that still clear plastic that many electronics things come packaged in would work quite well. Then just use some heavy tape around the edges to hold it in place. My choice would be packaging tape.

as to leaving the hole open? Aside from stuff falling into your case -- dust, crumbs, etc -- I dont think it would have a huge impact.

notquitequiet

Post by notquitequiet » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:28 pm

I used a piece of sheetmetal and some sound deadening stuff. I'm still working on my P183. I like some thing and dislike others.

knirfie

Post by knirfie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 am

How about sealing the PCI brackets? I really don't get why Antec went through all the trouble of fitting the entire front of the P183 with dust filters, and then use open PCI brackets which allow all the dust to be sucked in.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:50 am

ducttape...

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:54 am

knirfie wrote:How about sealing the PCI brackets? I really don't get why Antec went through all the trouble of fitting the entire front of the P183 with dust filters, and then use open PCI brackets which allow all the dust to be sucked in.
Not even a fraction of the dust sucked in by an unfiltered fan will come in through the pci brackets. Ever consider a postive pressure case setup? Then suddently that top vent and those pci brackets are your friends ;)

knirfie

Post by knirfie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:20 am

RoGuE wrote:Not even a fraction of the dust sucked in by an unfiltered fan will come in through the pci brackets. Ever consider a postive pressure case setup? Then suddently that top vent and those pci brackets are your friends ;)
True, but out of the box the P183 is configured as a negative pressure setup, isn't it? I'm not saying it's a show stopper or anything, and as you say dus is easily avoidable by creating a possitive pressure, i just think it's "bad design" on Antec's part.

I'm still deciding between getting a P183 or a CM Cosmos.

yensteel

Post by yensteel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:14 am

RoGuE wrote:
knirfie wrote:How about sealing the PCI brackets? I really don't get why Antec went through all the trouble of fitting the entire front of the P183 with dust filters, and then use open PCI brackets which allow all the dust to be sucked in.
Not even a fraction of the dust sucked in by an unfiltered fan will come in through the pci brackets. Ever consider a postive pressure case setup? Then suddently that top vent and those pci brackets are your friends ;)
So you're saying that a FT01 style fan setup is a good idea for the P183? You know, with the top fan blowing inwards.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 am

not necisarily..there are several different ways you can acheive a postive case pressure. And they can be done without having that top fan..

for example (2 slow intake fans, and 1 slow exhaust fan. or 1 intake and no exhaust)

if you setup the case liek this, air will blow OUT of the top blowhole and pci slot vents, preventing dust from coming in through an unfiltered opening.

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:29 am

anytime you have a negative pressure case it's going to suck in dust from every crack and opening that the case has... i think that the ventilated pci covers allow air to come in around the video card and such, in an area that can have a lot of dead air with some case designs.

i have 5 fans blowing inwards on a p180b, but it's not as effective as the ft01, because that case has a giant fan that moves an incredible amount of air.

i went with positive case pressure because of dust control, and because the biggest heat generator i have is the gtx 260, not the cpu... with negative pressure, all of that 260 heat is getting sucked up over the cpu cooler on it's way out the vents.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:12 pm