Scythe Gentle Typhoon First impressions (pics added 8.8.09)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Scythe Gentle Typhoon First impressions (pics added 8.8.09)

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:47 am

Hi!

There's been some speculations, questions and few impressions about Gentle Typhoon. I received today my 800 and 1150 rpm variants.

First things I noticed when I compeared by hand Gentle typhoon Against Nexus Real Silent Basic 120mm and Scythe Slipstream 800 rpm: Gentle Typhoons weighted more. Difference was enough to feel just by hands.

Where's Gentle Typhoon's cord was... well disapointment after getting used neat and strong coloured Slipstreams, having regular none glued 3 pin fan cable ( where these days slipstreams all cables are glued to gether ) and the fact fan cable colours were... almost like white washed with bleach...

The Gentle typhoons themself feel very sturdy. Infact you could think you feel piece of an armour rather than a case fan. The Center hub in Gentle Typhoons are HUGE!. I mean there twice ( or over ) the size of Slipstream hubs.

Regular feel the air flow test confirmed air flow ratings. Slipstreamed pushed more air volume. You could feel the difference but Gentle Typhoons pushed quite amount too.

The the noise. In motherboard connector the fan rpm'ed around 910-920 rpm's well with-in the 10% tolerance from 800 rpm's. The fan felt vibrating quite strongly compeared to Slipstream. And the noise...

The noise... Well... I actually did not heard the fan, more like I rather peculuarly sensed it... Even at full tilt the 800 rpm variant... Well its very diificult to say the noise. When you have 2 800 rpm slipstreamed undervolted to 600 rpm's and 2 nexus 92mm @ 5v and the Gentle Typhoon @ full tilt... Well. I honestly cannot say I heard it. When Gentle Typhoon was stoped yeah I noticed the difference but still... I rather just sensed it rather than heard it.

If 1150 rpm variant behaves like this... Man I am impressed. Noise character that is hard to hear... Scythe really feels to delivering their promise of Comfortable tone. Gentle typhoon's might be first fans that can be run 1200 rpm's + and feel comfortable. However that is speculation. I am yet to test the faster variant.

I'll be posting some comparision pictures between Scythe Gentle Typhoon, Slipstream and Nexus 120mm Basic.

If you have any questions, go a head. I will test and answer if that is possible.

First impressions from Gentle typhoon's is very positive. Sure they don't push as many CFM's as Slipstreams... but Dual Ballbearings which are not audiable. I barely heard anything from motor until I almost stuck my ear against the hub. Then the noise was smooth, very smooth. No clicking, hissing or variable tonalities...

Almost closed corners. Will be tough for soft mounting.

Back side is intresting in GT, lot of holes.

The center hub is huge. Scythe Slipstream 800 on left, Scythe gentle Typhoon in middle and Nexus Realsilent 120mm Basic on right
Last edited by thejamppa on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hammy

Post by Hammy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:25 am

Nice thoughts, thejamppa :) Looking forward to hearing (no pun intended) your results with the 1150rpm variant.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Re: Scythe Gentle Typhoon First impressions (pics later)

Post by new2spcr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:30 am

thejamppa wrote:Hi!

There's been some speculations, questions and few impressions about Gentle Typhoon. I received today my 800 and 1150 rpm variants.

First things I noticed when I compeared by hand Gentle typhoon Against Nexus Real Silent Basic 120mm and Scythe Slipstream 800 rpm: Gentle Typhoons weighted more. Difference was enough to feel just by hands.

Where's Gentle Typhoon's cord was... well disapointment after getting used neat and strong coloured Slipstreams, having regular none glued 3 pin fan cable ( where these days slipstreams all cables are glued to gether ) and the fact fan cable colours were... almost like white washed with bleach...

The Gentle typhoons themself feel very sturdy. Infact you could think you feel piece of an armour rather than a case fan. The Center hub in Gentle Typhoons are HUGE!. I mean there twice ( or over ) the size of Slipstream hubs.

Regular feel the air flow test confirmed air flow ratings. Slipstreamed pushed more air volume. You could feel the difference but Gentle Typhoons pushed quite amount too.

The the noise. In motherboard connector the fan rpm'ed around 910-920 rpm's well with-in the 10% tolerance from 800 rpm's. The fan felt vibrating quite strongly compeared to Slipstream. And the noise...

The noise... Well... I actually did not heard the fan, more like I rather peculuarly sensed it... Even at full tilt the 800 rpm variant... Well its very diificult to say the noise. When you have 2 800 rpm slipstreamed undervolted to 600 rpm's and 2 nexus 92mm @ 5v and the Gentle Typhoon @ full tilt... Well. I honestly cannot say I heard it. When Gentle Typhoon was stoped yeah I noticed the difference but still... I rather just sensed it rather than heard it.

If 1150 rpm variant behaves like this... Man I am impressed. Noise character that is hard to hear... Scythe really feels to delivering their promise of Comfortable tone. Gentle typhoon's might be first fans that can be run 1200 rpm's + and feel comfortable. However that is speculation. I am yet to test the faster variant.

I'll be posting some comparision pictures between Scythe Gentle Typhoon, Slipstream and Nexus 120mm Basic.

If you have any questions, go a head. I will test and answer if that is possible.

First impressions from Gentle typhoon's is very positive. Sure they don't push as many CFM's as Slipstreams... but Dual Ballbearings which are not audiable. I barely heard anything from motor until I almost stuck my ear against the hub. Then the noise was smooth, very smooth. No clicking, hissing or variable tonalities...

Thanks for the initial impressions. I've considered the GT too, but the huge center hub turned me off, also the greyish dead-fish-color helped some as well.

When you say you sensed/felt it spinning, rather than hearing it; would you describe it as a negative experience? Something you would notice much all of the time or would you notice it only when you turned off the computer?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:28 am

@ new2spcr
Rather sensing I mean it in good way. Since I cannot really hear it but I know its there... Somekind of psycho-somatic sensing... or similar. But I wouldn't lie if I would say I wouldn't hear 800 RPM Gentle typhoon @ full tilt in around practical distances of 0,5 to 1,0 meters.

The 1150 rpm model:

At full tilt and listening from 10 cm range:

Motor clearly has some higher tonality but its.... hard to describe. You definately hear the fan in 10cm. But in arms reach ( 50 cm or so ) at full speed its very hard to hato distinguish. Its like the weird sound just... blends in.

There's less Vibration than in my 800 rpm model.

Running at 12v now from fan controller its around 1120 rpm's. Around 0,5meter range in open air Impossible to hear or distinguish. 1 meter range fan is effectively inaudiable.

then I put it on my motherboard fan header that gives slightly over 12v, making my fan spin around 1200 rpm's.

I made fan test:

Scythe Slipstream 800 rpm @ 820 rpm
Scythe gentle Typhoon 1150 rpm @ 1200 rpm.

Both fans next to each others spinning, no other noise source except Nexus Value 430W.

10 cm:
Dark woosh and slight motor hum from 800 rpm slipstream.
That weird, high(ish) feeling motor sound. Extremely light hissing, barely distuighuisable from Gentel typhoon.

50 cm.
Dark woosh and tubulence noise from Slipstream dominates
I have hard time to pinpoint noise source of Gentle typhoon. Very hard. Slipstreams airflow turbulence overshadows it.

100 cm. Dark woosh of Slipstream only noise source I can honestly say I hear. I cannot distinguish Gentletyphoon's noise which is intresting considering its rpm'ing around 400 rpm's more.

However this are impressions and ambedient is not quietest. Also mounting on heat sink or in case also change noise characters.

What it seems... Gentle Typhoon's are very strange fan. Up close they sound noisier than Slipstream or nexus, well the 1150 model does. But it effectively disapears siginifcantly faster than Nexus 120mm or Slipstream models.

in 0,5 -1,0 meter range, Nexus 120mm would be easiest to spot in open air test. Gentle typhoon hardest.

The motor sound and blade structure ( having Noctua like notches but near the hub ). Dual ball bearings and not affecting even rotating fan, putting in vertical and such.

Gentle Typhoon's... They could be described based on my samples as: The F-117 Nighthawk of the fans. You KNOW its out there... You just can't pin point it.

Up close you definately hear higher model. But noise disapears much faster or scatters than in basic model. It might be that motor is tuned such... frequency range that it feels from human ear to scatter faster than regular fan.

But... Yeah, I could run Gentle Typhoon at full speed, even the 1150 model... Now I wonder how would the 1450 rpm model fare...?

Anyway to sum this fan line:
Amazingly quiet for dual ball bearing fan. Basicly no side noise heard. in Practical distances fans were inaudiable or almost impossible to pinpoint when compearing Slipstreams. Their only weakness' are almost closed fan corners, somewhat more vibrating than Slipstream's.

Note this is just initial impression. I really wish SPCR can soon review these fans.

Oh, yes 800 rpm model has high starting voltage. Around 10v's or such. 1150 seems to be reliably start @ 5v everytime. Just couple of quick tests.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm

thejamppa wrote:@ new2spcr
Rather sensing I mean it in good way.[snip]
Thanks again for the detailed report and the tests you performed! It indeed sounds to me too the GT is a very weird fan.. A fan that's noisy close up but quickly becomes almost inaudible moving away from it... that sounds like a winner to me. None of the fans (well, very few actually) I've run in open environment have demonstrated this behavior.

But also the fan's "noise" that wasn't heard but was felt... I vaguely recall an article by Silentpcreview mentioning Noctua's 120mm fan being felt rather than heard. Maybe the GT is going for that route? I haven't experienced this particular sensation with any fan but to me it sounds little eery. Perhaps this presence isn't that obvious when the fan is mounted to a case.

Perhaps it's worth a try... the 1150 rpm version with a fanmate. I'm still looking for the ultimate quiet system fan. 8) Too bad the 800 version has a high starting voltage.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Yeah, compared to Noctua's P12 fan, Gentle Typhoon is superior. I own a sample of P12 fan. Its very different kind weird sound that with GT. Notches are also other end, near hub where P12's are near frame.

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 pm

The 1150rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoon has the most non-annoying noise signature that I know of. I use one for cooling upper chamber of my P180 case. The upper chamber contains an ASUS P5WDG2 WS PRO, Pentium Dual Core E2220, 2 GB RAM, Wireless N-type Lan card, Satellite TV card, Sapphire HD 3850 and 2 WD RE 500 GB drives.

This single Scythe Gentle Typhoon does double duty by both getting the heat away from the CPU and moving room air through the chassis. The CPU fan is mounted on the Scythe Ninja on the side adjacent to the rear chassis fan location and blowing towards the rear of the chassis. A 2.5 cm (1 inch) duct mounted on the rear chassis fan location is made out of a 120mm fan with the guts cut out. The CPU fan and the duct align well enough for most of the air to exit the chassis. The CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan connector and the ASUS fan control is set for DC fan type and Silent profile. When the room ambient temperatue is 20'C the system is in idle the CPU fan runs at 700 rpm and speeds up to 1200 rpm at full load. Idle temperature is 42'C and full load temperature is 62'C.

This cooling setup compared to normal configurations reduces noise in these ways:
=> There is only one fan making noise.
=> The Scythe Gentle Typhoon has the most non-annoying noise signature that I know of.
=> The fan makes less noise sucking air from the heatsink than blasting turbulent air at the heatsink.
=> The less turbulent air from the Gentle Typhoon has time to moderate before hitting that nasty cheap steel stammping rear grill.

This computer is almost silent during the day and when things quiet down in the late evening I can here a gentle, quiet whoosh.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks for the comments thejamppa.

Sounds like an SPCR review is definitely in order.

Since these fans have dual ball bearings, I guess they could be a good candidate for horizontal mounting as a top exhaust or on aftermarket GPU coolers.

Have you tried mounting the fans in a case? I'd be interested to know if being mounted in a closed case effects the 'sense' of the fan noise that you were talking about.

burebista

Post by burebista » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:42 pm

I've changed my GT 1150 (@9xx RPM) with my good ol' trusty S-Flex 800. I loose some airflow but I gained no motor noise.
I dunno what to say, my GT @9xx RPM make some click noise from rotor. It is not a tragedy but in complete silence I can hear it.
That's it, now I have an Noctua P12 and an GT 1150 sitting in my drawer.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:36 am

now as 2nd sampe of GT 1150. Extremely hard to detect when rpm are 1100-1200. When rpm's are 1010-1090 it gets intresting sound faint Nauuuuu that you can detect. Under 1000 rpm's the sound is gone. When you adjust fan you can briefly hear the motor adjust and sound is temporarily like the Nauuuu.

I think its something to do with vortex notches and such creating in very intresting sound in very narrow spectrum.

Now this is case mounting with screws. Fan vibration is almost none existing. You don't need to soft mount GT it seems based on my 2nd sample of 1150 GT which is pretty consistant with my earlier quick tests

Under 1000 rpm's there might be faint clicking. I need to confirm that when ambedient noise is lower.

Ok night test done:

In Certain rpm's there's howling but not on full tilt and such. Motor keeps intresting noise when it adjusts new rpm and bearings more, in some rpm's there's intresting noise that I cannot describe.

I have to say that running GT 1150 around 980 rpm, full tilt or pairing manual controller is best thing if you have extremely sensitive hearing. It seems this partical fan samples sweet spots for best balance in noise / air flow is around 875 rpm's (980 is almost inaudiable too). Above than that there might be light how and full tilt while everything else is quiet the airflow will hear well.

This is peculiar fan. When mounted in case for sole exhaust in case that has no fan grille there's straight and unobstructed airflow path, there is several "sweet spots" for the fan. In certain speed there is high pitch howl, when you adjust it motor gives fainting Nauu sound. But when sweet spot is found this is very good fan.

Its sound is not overall smooth like Slipstream's or Nexuses thruought the rpm spectrum. But this is very intresting and formidable fan. Only one that I honestly can say I could keep run it full tilt without problems.

This fan would be definately a champion if the motor would be smooth without extra sounds thruought rpm spectre. However in certain rpm's there's howling ( the Noctua like ) and when you adjust speed motor reacts a "Nauuu" sound that faints. Depending on rpm it faints entirely or keeps slightly in background.

And between 600 and 800 rpm's there hmmm intresting sound now and then to be heard which I suspect might be the bearing which are not consistent sound but are dependable on RPM's too.

But GT's are one quietest or the quietest double ball bearing fans. Whhen using with Manual control to get broad spectrum of rpm's or fixing it to sweetspot, its formidable. When using only in quiet and not silent machine, like putting it with Game rig with several 120mm fans GT is practically inaudiable at every range of rpm's.

The sounds I mention are easily covered by airflow woosh and other sounds from arms reach away.

Newk Yuler

GentleTyphoon 120mm 1150rpm

Post by Newk Yuler » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:58 am

I'm about to buy 5 of the 120mm 1150 rpm GT fans for case and CPU heatsink cooling in a scratch built machine.

Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16 GHz) and 2x Asus Radeon HD 4770 in Crossfire. The case is an Antec Nine Hundred Two getting all 120mm clear plastic, blue illuminated TriCool fans replaced with the GentleTyphoon 1150s. Using a SPCR recently reviewed Scythe Mugen-2 CPU heatsink with 2 more GentleTyphoon 1150s in a push-pull setup.

I planned to make the fan purchases based on info from places other than here at the SPCR forum and actually looked here last because I knew the fans have not been officially reviewed. After reading these SPCR forum threads on the GT fans I'm even more confident I've made a proper choice.

Thanks.

- Rand

stead

Post by stead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:51 am

I bought one 1850rpm 120mm fan, was so impressed i ended up buying another 2 1450 92mm fan's, can't get how quiet they are

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:58 am

thejamppa wrote: [snip]
Its sound is not overall smooth like Slipstream's or Nexuses thruought the rpm spectrum. But this is very intresting and formidable fan. Only one that I honestly can say I could keep run it full tilt without problems.

This fan would be definately a champion if the motor would be smooth without extra sounds thruought rpm spectre.

And between 600 and 800 rpm's there hmmm intresting sound now and then to be heard which I suspect might be the bearing which are not consistent sound but are dependable on RPM's too.

I'm about to replace my system fan, the S-flex 800 rpm version because I noticed some annoying clicking and buzzing noise from the motor.

Right now I'm considering either the Nexus 120mm or the GT (high speed -> lower starting voltage). Which one would you recommend?
I know Nexus is more or less is the standard equipment for true silencers, but I'm not that conservative and I'm open to new and fresh ideas. I was pretty disappointed by the Slipstream, so I won't try one of those again, the sample variance seems to be too big.
I don't need to run a fan at its full speed, I'm pretty happy with ~550 rpm.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:59 am

At 550 rpm's I hear no real sound from GT but I've never managed to get my Nexuses run so low. at 550-560 rpm's 1150 rpm GT is effectively silent without howls, motor noise or audiable bearing noise.

Currently my GT in silent system is running arounf 1010-1016 rpm's while barely audiable at 3am at night and generally inaudiable in normal day and night conditions it blows nice amount cfm's.

I am suspecting each GT has their own sweet spot for CFM / Noise ratio. Sub 600 rom's for 1150 GT makes it effectively quiet ( my two samples ) and still blows some air.

Nexus is safer choice since its smooth motor and bearing sounds are consistent on lower RPM's unlike GT that's noise is unconsistant but has several sweet spots thruought 560-1160 rpm ranges.

RoGuE

Re: Scythe Gentle Typhoon First impressions (pics added 8.8.

Post by RoGuE » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:04 am

thejamppa wrote: In motherboard connector the fan rpm'ed around 910-920 rpm's well with-in the 10% tolerance from 800 rpm's.
Is this just a typo? or did you fail math class? 10% of 800 is 80 RPM. That means that for the fan to meet spec, it should be no higher than 880 RPM. If this is not a typo, your fan does not meet spec.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:22 am

thejamppa wrote:At 550 rpm's I hear no real sound from GT but I've never managed to get my Nexuses run so low. at 550-560 rpm's 1150 rpm GT is effectively silent without howls, motor noise or audiable bearing noise.

Currently my GT in silent system is running arounf 1010-1016 rpm's while barely audiable at 3am at night and generally inaudiable in normal day and night conditions it blows nice amount cfm's.

I am suspecting each GT has their own sweet spot for CFM / Noise ratio. Sub 600 rom's for 1150 GT makes it effectively quiet ( my two samples ) and still blows some air.

Nexus is safer choice since its smooth motor and bearing sounds are consistent on lower RPM's unlike GT that's noise is unconsistant but has several sweet spots thruought 560-1160 rpm ranges.

Ok, thanks. I'm more inclined towards the Nexus. You mentioned you never managed to get your Nexus so low, any particular reason?

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:25 am

RoGuE wrote: Is this just a typo? or did you fail math class?
No need to be rude. It's easy to get the numbers jumbled up.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 am

new2spcr wrote:
RoGuE wrote: Is this just a typo? or did you fail math class?
No need to be rude. It's easy to get the numbers jumbled up.
It is kind of a saying where I am from. "did u fail math class?" its a joke more or less.

Also, it was kind of an important detail that people looked over, because if the fan is in fact spining above 880RPM it IS out of spec, and could have something wrong with it. That's all I was saying

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:14 am

I've failed some math class and some I've cleared... I am not gifted in ways of numbers... but neither was Mozart. Humor has danger's if its not recognizable as humor and humor itself has also cultural connection... but I own sense of humor that would make block of granite look like Jim Carrey...

However 10% is 80 rpm's but you also have to count that sometimes there are things that affect rpm's beyond the voltage control. In open air rpm's are 801-820 rpm's that makes about what with-in1,75-2%?? (I am too lazy to verify it with calculator) of the designated specs so well with-in the 10% changes.

When you add case and filterings, adding more impedance rpm's rise, especially in low RPM fans like Slipstream itseems.

It was my failure of stating open air test with the fan separately from case test and see how increasing impredences would increase fan speed beyong the specs...

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:57 am

I have an 1,150 RPM Gentle Typhoon in my power supply, and I love it! :D Even at full speed, it's completely inaudible over the rest of my system (except for a high-pitched bearing whine that disappears beyond 2 1/2ft.). There's also little to no vibration in mine. There are a couple speeds where it has kind of a high-pitched tone, but it runs at a constant speed in my computer, so that never happens. Sure beats a stock PSU Globe fan! :D

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:49 am

Darth Santa Fe wrote:I have an 1,150 RPM Gentle Typhoon in my power supply, and I love it! :D Even at full speed, it's completely inaudible over the rest of my system (except for a high-pitched bearing whine that disappears beyond 2 1/2ft.). There's also little to no vibration in mine. There are a couple speeds where it has kind of a high-pitched tone, but it runs at a constant speed in my computer, so that never happens. Sure beats a stock PSU Globe fan! :D
Good for you. I'm beginning to wonder if either my ears are oversensitive or all fans I'm buying are lemons or perhaps I'm asking too much from a fan.
I went to a computer shop yesterday and noticed the Nexi 120 mm were on sale (or the staff simply had put wrong stickers on them!) so I got one very cheap, went home while grinning and installed it as a case exhaust.
550 rpm is the lowest I can get with Z. Fanmate...
the turbulence noise is worse than my old S-flex 800...
Very weird. I'm not experiencing any vibrations or obvious motor noise though.

I noticed my S-flex doesn't wobble at all if I give it a slight shake in a horizontal position, while the Nexus' motor/hub with blades wobble about 1 mm. What about the GT?

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:01 am

I see some slight wobble in GT blades. in lesser degree than in some Nexus fan's I've had...

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:53 am

thejamppa wrote:I see some slight wobble in GT blades. in lesser degree than in some Nexus fan's I've had...
Thanks for info.
OT: I might use the new Nexus 120 mm as a replacement for the cpu's 92 mm fan, but I have to figure out how to mount it properly... ^^

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:49 am

new2spcr wrote:
thejamppa wrote:I see some slight wobble in GT blades. in lesser degree than in some Nexus fan's I've had...
Thanks for info.
OT: I might use the new Nexus 120 mm as a replacement for the cpu's 92 mm fan, but I have to figure out how to mount it properly... ^^
Yw the info... And using creatively zipties getting 120mm instead 92mm is doable. Zipties and some stretchy cord ^^

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 pm

thejamppa wrote: Yw the info... And using creatively zipties getting 120mm instead 92mm is doable. Zipties and some stretchy cord ^^
Sorry for OT post (final one, promise ;) ): 120 mm is way too big ... its corners touches the mobo's cables etc. I don't think I even can close the side panel.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Could these GT 1150 be used at full speed and not be considered annoying by chance, if 3 of them were used in a p182?

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:16 am

Hellspawn wrote:Could these GT 1150 be used at full speed and not be considered annoying by chance, if 3 of them were used in a p182?
That's subjective to the person but I can use them around 1010 rpm's and not hear them while my sleeper rig is on during night. So with paired Zalman FanMate they can be fixed on sweet spot without howl that is produced in certain speeds.

Slipstreams might be perhaps safer choice in noise wise but I suggest you buy one 1150 GT and test if the noise is annoying to you or not. As noise is subjective, what is annoying to another is not to other but during day time running GT 1150 at full speed is viable as during normal day time or very hard to percieve. During night things are slightly different.

trial

Post by trial » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:38 am

how is the GT fan when put against a heatsink?

i currently have an s-flex 1600 on my tru (not extreme ver) being controlled
by my motherboard and i can start to hear it as it spins up during load.

i've found that it no longer spins as freely as it used to when mounted in the
vertical position that i have it.

in your opinion, do you think this would be a good replacement for it? i have
the 1600rpm s-flex as a "just incase" but i don't think it has ever gone higher
than 1000-1200rpm.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:50 am

GT is bit risky since when it gets rpm's added, motor has quite distinguished sound briefly and certain rpm's have minor howl. But those are such sound that rest fan's woosh probably cover them pretty much. What kind of configuration do you have trial ( case fans and such )

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 am

I got to ask, what's with the sig jamppa?

Back on topic, the fan sounds like it's a fan without a knack, though I would be interested in how it would fare against an S-Flex for significantly restrictive environments.