just got the smart drive 2002

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SungHyun7

just got the smart drive 2002

Post by SungHyun7 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:40 pm

and very dissapointed.

i got western digital 120gb 8mb special edition drive. granted, the drive does have lot of whine without the smart dirve 2002, but come onnn... $95 spent on a simple enclosure should take MOST of the noist out... anyways, i must admit, smart drive 2002 did take some of the whine out, but not completely (in fact most of the noise is still audible). anyway, here's the bottomline: i can still hear it DISTINCTIVELY, and $100+ spent on this unit (even though now you can get it for $68+s/h) was frankly waste of money with my wd1200jb.

this is even with a zalman psu that suddenly got louder...

damn it, i guess i'll keep the enclosure... i have nightmares returning an item i purchased online... shipping fee back, restocking fee, correct alignment of stars.... and that's when everything else goes right. but will definitely look forward to replacing the wd drive with a fdb one. people seem to like the fdb + smart drive combo alot.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:35 pm

Try sitting in on foam on the bottom front of case.

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:51 pm

the smart drive has been decoupled already... well i'm just going to wait until i can afford to buy a fdb drive... as i understand it, fdb is not only quieter than its ball bearing counterpart but also superior in reliability as well... it seems like win-win situation... so i'll end up opting for that solution anyway.... well in the meanwhile... i would like to 'lower' your expectation what smart drive 2002 can do for your system... perhaps my expectation was too high... :wink:

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:36 am

I really like the SmartDrive 2002, but one thing I noticed is that with rounded cables it can be a pain in the ass to seal the lid "tight", especially for a slave drive.

What I did was cut away the boot for the slave drive, which allowed me to clamp down the lid extra tight with almost no leakage out the back.

So far I'm extremely impressed with this device, just wish it was cheaper.

ct991

Post by ct991 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:09 pm

I was actually about to buy one of those Smart Drive 2002 enclosures until I saw the price. $85 US + shipping + duty etc... That's bullshit! It's an aluminum box, it's not like it comes with a hard drive!