More VGA reviews?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

RoGuE

More VGA reviews?

Post by RoGuE » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:45 am

Hi writers,

I was wondering why there are so few vid card reviews. I mean, I know that video cards are changing faster than ever, but it would still be nice to see a few new models reviewed every now and then. I'm going to be in the market for a new one in November, and I feel like whatever card I pick will be a crapshoot as to whether it will idle quietly or not. (at load doesn't bother me, I game with headphones).

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:51 am

If anything I would say that the graphics card scene has been pretty static for the last few months, and the only really new card has been the AMD 4770, which has been reviewed by SPCR.

The reason is the imminent arrival of Windows 7, and DirectX 11 which should lead to the release of a new generation of video cards around October/November and possibly into the Spring of 2010. Like the 4770, the underlying technology will be 40nm based. The focus is likely to be on the top end, but it remains to be seen whether there will be any reasonably quiet cards among them.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:27 pm

SPCR reviews what they are sent by vendors. If they aren't reviewing vid cards, chances are they aren't being sent any. Pester the video card vendors to send SPCR samples, if you want reviews.