Suggestions? OS for pre-built HTPC.

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lauralu1212

Suggestions? OS for pre-built HTPC.

Post by lauralu1212 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:44 am

Hi,

First of all the problems I am running into searching for info on this topic are that #1- this is NOT a High Def, ultimate system sound quality system. I want to make it a DVR with the option to back up the programs on HDD or burn a DVD now and then- and I would like to have remote access to the media. So, low-end on the HT part of the HTPC.

If I can use it to run Itunes and lighten the load on my laptop, that's cool.

I have a brand new ebay special- Via EPIA-M 1.0GHz 256MB DVD-RW HTPC Mini-ITX Computer
the full rig I have is on ebay (I can not link being new) the seller is andovercg and if you type VIA into the search that's it.

I tried some linux ideas, mythbuntu, but being a wondows person so long it ended up kind of a nightmare...but now I relocated the HTPC so I am not in the middle of the living room bringing tv viewing to a hault while I fiddle. I also had issues wanting to remote into the pc...but I have discovered tight VNC and it's super. So I am at square one, what op system?? Any help....appreciated!!!

thanks

MGrier
Patron of SPCR

Budget?

Post by MGrier » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am

Do you have a budget in mind? Timeframe?

The ASUS EeeBox PC EB1012 looks pretty sweet. Doesn't seem to be available at retail yet. (search the ASUS site; I haven't posted enough to include URLs)

The ASRock Ion 330 system discussed in today's AnandTech review should do the trick too, even if it's not as pretty as the EeeBox.

It's available at newegg for immediate purchase.

I suspect you will want to use your SPCR skillz to upgrade the fans to something quieter.

lauralu1212

I stink at explaining myself on email/text...

Post by lauralu1212 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:44 am

Hi...sorry--I have that system already. It's prebuilt. The Via Epia M mobo and everything. It came with a Tele-vizion linux-ish op. system but I removed it.

The unit is actually (for now) quiet enough. It's in my bedroom now, if it had even more noise it may help me sleep. Haa.

Basically I need to put an OS and software on it. I have windows OS's and all that, already have some linux distros I have downloaded for unrelated playing with. Not sure whats good for a NON High Def, 19" "chick Box". I will use it for chick movies, Greys Anatomy....etc.

CPU : Via C3 1.0GHz (Motherboard is a Via EPIA-M)
Memory Total : 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
HD : 40GB IDE
Optical Drive : 8x DVD±RW Dual Layer DVD Burner (There is no floppy drive)
Network : Onboard integrated 10/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
Dimensions: Case size - 15 x 12 x 4 (inches)
Power Supply : 220W AC - This can switch between 120v-220v input
Video : Onboard integrated VIA UniChrome AGP graphics with MPEG-2 decoding acceleration and 32MB shared video memory
Ports : Four (4) USB, One (1) Firewire, One (1) Serial, One (1) Parallel, One (1) HD-15 VGA, One (1) RCA Video-Out, One (1) S-Video, One (1) IrDA and Two (2) PS/2
Form Factor : Mini-ITX Desktop
Audio : Onboard integrated VIA VT1616 6-Channel AC-97 codec
TV Tuner Card : TVision TVF-7531MF PCI with Coax(TV-In), S-Video, RCA Video-In, Audio-In/Out and Remote
Memory Config : 1x256MB
Keyboard : IR Keyboard with integrated Mouse
Model Number : VIA EPIA-M

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:52 pm

I think you've got to go Windows, if your goal is "it just works" with the minimum of hassles. Given the low end CPU + RAM combo you're working with, I'd think you'd want XP Media Center edition. I see this is listed as XP Media Center 2005 SP2B by some places (Newegg has it for $110 with free shipping).

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm a linux fan but not an expert on linux :).
Your system is quite slow and the amount of ram will not help I have a similar system a Toshiba laptop Pentium III at 700MHz probably 2x as fast as your Via C3 and I have the same amount of memory 256MB RAM.
I will probably use SLAX on your system it uses KDE 3.5 similar wit windows and you ca use VNC is already included and probably VLC for video playback.
But I guess the best solution for your box will be GeexBox Last time I use that was about 2 years ago but is the best you can find in this category.
Ubuntul will not work but if you like the idea then test Dreamlinux I tested 2.2 on the PIII (worked great) I do not know if the 3.5 will work but is much lighter than Ubuntu.

PS: please do not spend money on windows for that machine. :D

lauralu1212

Post by lauralu1212 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks all...I am totally into MaGiver-ing something if needed but I ended up taking the box apart for some other reason... oh yeah, to put another HDD in...I finally looked at the POS motherboard (CPU really) got pissed and fiddled recklessly with it.

RIP C3!!!

Im going to look for another mo-bo/cpu that will better suit my "needs". I don't even NEED a DVD drive in this thing. It's for strictly torrents (mostly TV shows for kiddie I X-fer to his little media player HDD) and as a server. I will look for one with a built in tuner or at least something other than VGA out so I don't need a monitor. if it fits in that case, bonus. If not, oh well!!

I do like the wireless keyboard and remote thing though. I should google that part....

Anyway thanks so much!!