Advice for mini ITX build, core components + remote

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Alfiegerner

Advice for mini ITX build, core components + remote

Post by Alfiegerner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi there,

I'm about to embark on my first quiet PC build and could do with some advice on components.

The machine will be used as a HTPC media centre / PVR, running mythtv / xbmc.

Components that I already have that I'll be using:

Zotac min-itx 9300 775
1.5 tb WD green 3.5 inch drive
PICO-psu 150
Hauppauge Dual Nova TD USB TV tuner

The only other item that I'm really keen on using is the Nexus Psile case - it might not be to everyone's taste but I think it's gorgeous.

That leaves me with decisions to make on CPU, CPU cooler and memory, any tips or advice much appreciated.

For the cooler I've read that a few people have used the nexus mini ninja with the Psile so that might be good route to go - not sure if it fits well though, I've heard people had to hack the top bits of the unit (eek!).

I'm also wondering what the best way is to integrate a remote with this - I was thinking bluetooth maybe? Either using existing Wii controller or another remote?

Cheers,
Alex

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Well thats a cute little case.

For a small case like that, with limited cooling (especialy quietly!) I would strongly recommend an e7400 to fit in that socket 775. Its got all the muscle you would ever need, and not come anywhere close to the max power rating on it during normal HTPC use. The e5200 has a little less muscle, but might be easier to cool in your tight space.

As for the memory, I swear by G.Skill. 2x1 Gb @ 800 Mhz should get the job done for your purposes.

EDIT: i now see you're in new zealand, so newegg can't supply you, but at least you can see the parts I recommend. Cheers!

Alfiegerner

Post by Alfiegerner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Nice one, thanks for the tips. The E7400 looks good: just got decide on the cpu cooler now.

Edit: Any comments on the noise and suitability of the scythe mini ninja would be appreciated, particularly to know if it will fit! Are there quieter coolers out there that will fit?

Alfiegerner

Post by Alfiegerner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Another question - sorry if it seems noobish: if the Scythe mini ninja fits (and it bloody well better as I've ordered it now :) ) will I need another fan in here or would that suffice?

If it makes a difference I'll also be running a passive video card in this for a while. It's a bit of shame but as I need to rig the box up to an old CRT television for a while and the Zotac 9300 doesn't have a TV out.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Nexus Psile is a thermal nightmare. I would not touch it. There are better, cheaper mini-ITX cases.

Alfiegerner

Post by Alfiegerner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:25 pm

MikeC wrote:Nexus Psile is a thermal nightmare. I would not touch it. There are better, cheaper mini-ITX cases.
Blimey, that bad eh. Any recommendations for me? I'm after one that I can use a 3.5" HD with.

Maccer

Post by Maccer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:07 am

the Silverstone Sugo SG05 is supposed to be an excellent case

funklizard

Post by funklizard » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:08 am

Alfiegerner wrote:Nice one, thanks for the tips. The E7400 looks good: just got decide on the cpu cooler now.

Edit: Any comments on the noise and suitability of the scythe mini ninja would be appreciated, particularly to know if it will fit! Are there quieter coolers out there that will fit?
This comment is coming a bit late; and you've probably already made some decisions; but in case you or someone else is interested...

Do a Google search for an HP 450666-001 heat sink. It's a passive heat sink that looks like it will fit in the Psile pretty comfortably; and it should work with the Psile's rail-mounted fans. I was eyeing this heat sink before I decided to opt for an Atom board.

lucas82

Post by lucas82 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:14 pm

this HP 450666-001 CPU Cooler is the same than Akasa AK-975

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:39 am

the fin spacing looks awful tight on that heatsink... i'd think the mini-inja would do a better job (if it fits)

let us know, i'm quite keen on a psile / mini ninja option

Ahaa!

Re: Advice for mini ITX build, core components + remote

Post by Ahaa! » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:26 am

Alfiegerner wrote:Hi there,

I'm about to embark on my first quiet PC build and could do with some advice on components.

[...]

Cheers,
Alex
Hi,

please share your experiences with Zotac 9300 and Nexus Psile case.

Thanks!