Silverstone Fortress FT01

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:57 pm

We need our own Mythbusters. Peoples who bust myth's related on silent computing, cooling and such. This aluminium vs. Steel was good example of the old, non-dying myth's that keep alive like a cockroach in a waste diposal area...

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:47 pm

I notice the FT01 has no external 3.5 bay; is it still possible to put a 3.5" drive in one of the 5.25" bays?

jterp7

Post by jterp7 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 am

I find it interesting that most previous reviews have stated great cpu cooling and adequate gpu cooling whereas spcr found the reverse.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:55 am

jterp7 wrote:I find it interesting that most previous reviews have stated great cpu cooling and adequate gpu cooling whereas spcr found the reverse.
I've noticed this paradoxical situation many times before and honestly don't know whom to turn to if SPCR haven't reviewed a specific product, especially if it's about noise.

jterp7

Post by jterp7 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 am

LodeHacker wrote:I've noticed this paradoxical situation many times before and honestly don't know whom to turn to if SPCR haven't reviewed a specific product, especially if it's about noise.
About noise, SPCR has no rival that's for sure, but getting different results for temperatures is strange, even with similar builds. Thanks to them, I'll be looking to replace my dual caviar black 1TBs with a single 2TB green. According to their tests, I would drop a huge amount of noise (21-25dB each to 14dB and a great deal less heat as well)

danimal

Post by danimal » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:42 pm

jterp7 wrote:
LodeHacker wrote: About noise, SPCR has no rival that's for sure, but getting different results for temperatures is strange, even with similar builds. Thanks to them, I'll be looking to replace my dual caviar black 1TBs with a single 2TB green. According to their tests, I would drop a huge amount of noise (21-25dB each to 14dB and a great deal less heat as well)
you are comparing a performance drive with a green drive, so you'd probably be taking a sizeable hit in thruput and seek times... those blacks do get rather unreasonably hot, i just installed one a couple of days ago... i always do a full format on new drives, just sitting on blocks on the bench, and this thing got uncomfortably warm.

thanks to spcr for this great case review, and everyone in this thread who contributed feedback.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Test results do vary depending on the CPU and GPU cooling solution used by the reviewers. But I think the biggest difference in SPCR's review is that they dialed the fans down to 6V. My guess is that this resulted in dramatically lower air pressure from the top 180mm fan, thus lower CPU cooling performance than as seen in other reviews.

GPU cooling in the FT01 was always quite good due to its positive air pressure scheme that assisted most modern GPU coolers in exhausting air out toward the back of the case. The only review that showed mediocre GPU cooling results was from bit-tech.net, but this is due to their use of a card that had an unconventional fanless heatsink located on the opposite side of where normal GPU cooler would be. If they used the same type of graphics card as SPCR, I am sure the result for GPU cooling would be much improved relative to other cases they tested.

jterp7

Post by jterp7 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:20 am

danimal wrote:you are comparing a performance drive with a green drive, so you'd probably be taking a sizeable hit in thruput and seek times... those blacks do get rather unreasonably hot, i just installed one a couple of days ago... i always do a full format on new drives, just sitting on blocks on the bench, and this thing got uncomfortably warm.

thanks to spcr for this great case review, and everyone in this thread who contributed feedback.
True, I'd probably get a hit for sure, but seeing as I already have AAM enabled, would I be looking at that huge of a drop in performance compared to the heat savings and 11dB improvement in noise?

My other option was to 2002C them both, but that would only improve noise and potentially increase temps a bit still.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 am

jterp7 wrote:True, I'd probably get a hit for sure, but seeing as I already have AAM enabled, would I be looking at that huge of a drop in performance compared to the heat savings and 11dB improvement in noise?
Relatively speaking, probably not -- and the noise improvement would be enormous.

roadie

Post by roadie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 am

With all the fans turned down to their lowest setting, would adding a Scythe Kama bay with a ~800rpm fan improve cooling to any noticeable degree without increasing the noise signature/character?

toNka

Post by toNka » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:35 am

morkelkey

Post by morkelkey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:42 am

Hi friends,

I would bolt the CPU & GPU heatpipes directly to the case, turning the aluminum case into one giant passive Ninja! If this topic interests you.

Thanks

hugocd

Post by hugocd » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi friends,
I am going to set up a very quiet rig with the following:
Case: silverstone FT 01
PSU: silverstone Nightjar TN45
CPU: i7 920
Mainboard: asus P6T deluxe V2
Video card: gigabyte 9800GT silent cell
Memory: OCZ 3*2G
Hard drive: WD 1T green

I will hardly have the 920 overclocked, and prefer to set the two 18 mm fans at low.
However, I am not sure about
1. will Nightjar TN45 be sufficient to this system,
2. will TN45 get overheated at fullload of the cpu and the video card,
3. will an alternative PSU, like Seasonic M12D, Antec cp850, allow an almost equivalently quiet rig even late at night

Would you please give me some advices?

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:17 pm

hugocd wrote:Hi friends,
I am going to set up a very quiet rig with the following:
Case: silverstone FT 01
PSU: silverstone Nightjar TN45
CPU: i7 920
Mainboard: asus P6T deluxe V2
Video card: gigabyte 9800GT silent cell
Memory: OCZ 3*2G
Hard drive: WD 1T green

I will hardly have the 920 overclocked, and prefer to set the two 18 mm fans at low.
However, I am not sure about
1. will Nightjar TN45 be sufficient to this system,
2. will TN45 get overheated at fullload of the cpu and the video card,
3. will an alternative PSU, like Seasonic M12D, Antec cp850, allow an almost equivalently quiet rig even late at night

Would you please give me some advices?
I have the FT01, Nightjar 400 W, Q9450, HD4870 and I'm only drawing 250 watts from the grid. I think the i7 draws some 30 watts(?) more power under load, but the 9800GT on the other hand is a bit less.

I'd say you'll be just fine. The PSU gets a bit warm to the touch, but not enough so to worry me.

hugocd

Post by hugocd » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:07 am

Jipa wrote:
I have the FT01, Nightjar 400 W, Q9450, HD4870 and I'm only drawing 250 watts from the grid. I think the i7 draws some 30 watts(?) more power under load, but the 9800GT on the other hand is a bit less.

I'd say you'll be just fine. The PSU gets a bit warm to the touch, but not enough so to worry me.
Thanks.
Is the 250 watts at idle or at load?
Further, is it Nightjar 400w or Nightjar 450w?

toNka

Post by toNka » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Well, I got sick of the top fan filter and mod it so it actually works now.
Check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwyLXixAGgo

Sunburn74

Post by Sunburn74 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:22 pm

I have an FT01. I dunno... first of all, to get it to really cool (especially the gpu), you have to remove both fan filters. In addition, the fans over time seemed to get louder and louder. At first I thought it was my psu (an enermax modu 625), but its not. Its the case fans! Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it for a quiet build. Maybe go p183 instead imo.

toNka

Post by toNka » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm not running a dual gpu setup, but it's pretty powerful and I have no cooling issues what so ever.
As far as the fans go, they are audible from the distance I am from the tower but they have a very smooth tone which easily falls in with my ambient white nice.
Has anyone found better full size replacement fans for this case?

DaRuSsIaMaN

Post by DaRuSsIaMaN » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey everyone, I am set on buying this case. Going to catch it before it goes off market. I can't make up my mind, though, whether to get the one with window or without.

But anyway, does this case have an HDD activity LED somewhere?? As far as I can tell it only has the power led and that's it.

Thanks