Not just "silent" - zero moving parts rig [pics]

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

glyphin

Re: Not just "silent" - zero moving parts rig [pic

Post by glyphin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:16 pm

You can see the wire tie in both pics - it's the white thing at the top. I simply strung it around one of the heatpipes, then twisted it around the fan grate above to provide some tension. Before the wire tie, the Orochi had about a half centimeter of vertical give. After tensioning it upwards, the slack is gone. Hopefully that means the pressure is more even on the CPU.
glyphin wrote:
Look how large the Orochi is! I had to use a wire tie to tie it to the top of the case to support some of its weight.
How exactly did you tie it? After all, those heatpipes and aluminum plates don't seem to be built to be pulled at.[/quote]

shutupfan

Post by shutupfan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:15 am

shutupfan wrote:
glyphin wrote:Look how large the Orochi is! I had to use a wire tie to tie it to the top of the case to support some of its weight.
How exactly did you tie it?
You can see the wire tie in both pics - it's the white thing at the top. I simply strung it around one of the heatpipes, then twisted it around the fan grate above to provide some tension. Before the wire tie, the Orochi had about a half centimeter of vertical give. After tensioning it upwards, the slack is gone. Hopefully that means the pressure is more even on the CPU.[/quote]

Nice. Yes, I see it clearly now.

My own Orochi only has about 2mm of vertical give, about the same as the horizontal give.

shutupfan wrote:After all, those heatpipes and aluminum plates don't seem to be built to be pulled at.
I have to take back that statement about the heatpipes and aluminum plates not being resilient after seeing these pictures where a Scythe cooler still works fine after a lot of intentional damage: http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/off-topi ... times.html

shutupfan

Post by shutupfan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:41 am

We can't see that picture: "Content protected by owner".

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:49 am

glyphin wrote: [...]
Pic blocked...

enska001

About the GFX

Post by enska001 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:07 am

Hi. Adding any budget graphics card and sticking an accelero S1 on it would surely stay cool enough even without fans. Worth a try, I think.
Otherwise, very nice!

glyphin

Post by glyphin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Sorry, the photo host tries to protect original sized images by default. Fixed now. I'll repost here:

shutupfan wrote:
We can't see that picture: "Content protected by owner".
[/img]

glyphin

Post by glyphin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:01 pm

One more benefit to a zero moving parts PC is there's no guilt about firing up the PC to dash off an email that you forgot about right before bed. No concerns about mechanical wear and tear on startup/shutdown.

Maybe there could be heat cycling issues, and maybe the SSD flash may wear out eventually, but at least there's no audible complaint from the system. :)

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:53 am

glyphin wrote:Sorry, the photo host tries to protect original sized images by default. Fixed now.
Good temps judging by the screenshot... I wonder though if the 49 degrees C shown reflects the northbridge temperature or some other chip. I'd be more comfortable to have a slow running fan cooling the NB, mosfets etc. 780G has integrated graphics and those tend to run warmer than chips without IG, AFAIK.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Nice .
Some questions.
Power at Idel and load? Are you undervolting the CPU? This can reduce the power and heat significantly.
Is good to see people interested in silent systems.
I still have one problem to solve on mine is the northbridge.
Can you put the finger on your northbridge for some seconds :D I know is not a scientific method but it seems anything more than 60C is to hot for humans 60C is about the temp of the hot tap water.

JoeTheZombie

Post by JoeTheZombie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:33 am

Well, I hope you "broke-in" that Orochi before installing the motherboard, like this. :shock:

OT... very nice build! Myself, I have found a few low RPM fans + AcoustiPack is sufficient for a, shall we call it, less than audible experience? :D

The funny thing is, I never noticed my LCD whine until after reading this post. It has a very quiet, very high frequency line. DAMN YOU SPCR!!! :lol: I also remember never seeing MPEG2 artifacts until someone pointed them out to me... now they can not be unseen. :cry: But I'm getting off topic here... Great build!

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:58 pm

I tip my hat to you, sir. You have attained the Nirvana that we here at SilentPCReview aim towards :) Having added a SSD (Intel G2 160GB) I now only have 2 moving parts.

Chip and PS fan. Luckily, both are what I would call acceptably quiet, and coming from me, that is quite a good rating :)

I am wondering if there is a Seasonic PS out there that could make a difference noticeable by me.

Shot my wad on the SSD so it will be awhile before I find out.