Antec Sonata Elite ATX Mid-Tower Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Shamgar

Re: Antec Sonata Elite

Post by Shamgar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:04 pm

mdrumt wrote:my 2 cents (please read this ANTEC! :))
I am sure the CEO has read your pleads already and the newly designed Solo, as per your recommendations, will be arriving at your doorstep very shortly.
mdrumt wrote:The external drive looks like its used to launch out at unexpecting passers by! The front bezel looks like someone rammed their knee into the front of a normal case a coupla times and went "check it! new case!" rofl
mdrumt wrote:(hiding the ugly with more ugly?) and the 3.5 inch bay has been replaced with the hotswap (drive launcher) on the 200.
I like the way you conceive your constructive criticism in such a carefree juvenile manner. Pull no punches, tell it like it is. :wink:

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Shamgar wrote: I like the way you conceive your constructive criticism in such a carefree juvenile manner. Pull no punches, tell it like it is. :wink:
I guess I got a little carried away! too much caffeine? Perhaps...I dunno, I just don't understand why it so hard to come up with a great case design?! It seems pretty hard of late if your Antec...but that's my opinion, I hope they can turn things around with the Solo.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 pm

mdrumt, No need to apologise for getting "carried away". It's actually quite funny to read all the different posts here and people's reactions. Good way to pass the time and not take all this computing stuff SO seriously. :)

Although some of these "new" Antec cases really do hit a raw nerve with me.

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Shamgar wrote:Pull no punches:
Just like the guy who designed the 200! ;)

colm

Post by colm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 am

Mescalero wrote:Would it make sense to use the slot blower as an intake to blow cool air directly on a passive graphics card?
I've always thought, that placing exhaust fans at the top of the case made more sene, it aiding natural convection and all.

As always, nice review!
great review, the honesty of side vents, SPCR knows ventilation. :D

top fans are excatly the opposite of convection, it is a convection killer. convection is a defiance of nature in a real case, this aids in longevity, weather changes happen, the case doesn't have to, in real convection, it utilizes heatsinks. the top fan makes it a wild undisciplined heathen...like gods nature. that is NOT good for micronics. Not to mention what falls down through them.

I am just getting to this article, I am looking for the simple genius of original aTX standard to return for an antec case...and cannot find one. I have the 2600amb builders case contently hacked. As realistic as I have ever acheived...and can't fond a newer version. Would love to see Eatx in a 2600 type case, simply so, I would even build ducts again.

getthedrift86

Post by getthedrift86 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:21 pm

mdrumt wrote:now if only they would update it (not screw it up tho) and use 120mm all round, offer an all black version with a faceplate like the NSK6580B,
There does appear to be to be an all black version of the SOLO. Google Antec "Solo black". Is this only available in Japan for some reason?

adikt

Post by adikt » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:06 pm

I've tried looking for it and can't find it anywhere that has an english website. Shame!

Looks like I'll have to paint mine...

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:43 pm

getthedrift86 wrote:
mdrumt wrote:now if only they would update it (not screw it up tho) and use 120mm all round, offer an all black version with a faceplate like the NSK6580B,
There does appear to be to be an all black version of the SOLO. Google Antec "Solo black". Is this only available in Japan for some reason?
cool find...

http://www.links.co.jp/items/antec-case/solo-black.html

but yeah, looks like Japan only :(

Wonder whats going to happen at CES in Jan with cases. Just when you think they could make anything more opposite for us silencers check out the new Antec Lanboy....I had a chuckle

mtakala

Re: Antec Sonata Elite ATX Mid-Tower Case

Post by mtakala » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Local wholesale distributer had this product as end-of-life product in their listing, according to a local retailer I just order it from.

Is this true? Does Antec have a replacement or is one coming up? The P183 and P193 are considerable more (~40%) more expensive.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't know if it will replace the Sonata Elite or not, but Antec released the Sonata IV earlier this year.

mtakala

Post by mtakala » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:42 am

ok, that Sonata IV looks a lot like the Elite with an added PSU.