Need silencing of CPU HSF for Socket A

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

testingthis

Post by testingthis » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I just bought a 1ghz Socket A computer and the stock Heatsink fan is the ONLY thing really making noise, since when I unplugged the fan for a moment, there was virtually no noise level from any other components. The power supply is almost silent in a cool temperature environment and the VGA is onboard. If anyone with a Socket A cpu running at 1ghz or greater has had success with a quiet or even silent solution, please let me know what heatsink fan you used and where I can get it. I am using a midtower case.<!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A><!-- BBCode End -->
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

For a start, you could get a Zalman fanmate 1 and reduce the CPU HS fan speed. Also try a Vcore reduction of 0.2V. That might be quiet & stable enough and still keep the CPU cool enough. If not, Alpha 8045 or Swiftech MC462 or Thermalright AX7 with a Panaflo 80L fan at 5-7V should do fine. Ditto the Millenium II ULN (w/ blt-in fan).
[addsig]

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

For low noise/silent HSF's you can't go wrong with Zalman <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.sharkacorp.com/cgi-bin/TLSstore.cgi" target="_blank">http://www.sharkacorp.com/cgi-bin/TLSstore.cgi</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->
<br>You don't say whether the CPU is an Athlon, PIII, or a Celeron, but if its a PIII or a Cele you could probably run one of their Flower heatsinks with no fan at all. Assuming your case's airflow is adequate.
<br>
<br>I've got a dual PIII 1Ghz box that is using a pair of Zalman CNPS6000ALCU heatsinks with no fans, with no problem at all.
<br>
<br>The AMD proc's are typically much hotter, but even with the fan at full speed the Zalman's are fairly quiet. ( about 36dbl, according the them)
[addsig]

justinm

Post by justinm » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I use a Volcano 7 with a 80mm Panaflo to cool my 1.4 TBird, it's virtually silent and shoul work well for you. Heck with a 1GHz, you could probably put the fan at 7 volts and really get it quiet.
[addsig]

terramir

Post by terramir » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

hey justin M what kind of temps do you get with the panflo and what model do you have?
<br>the l one with 24 cfm 21 dba or the faster ones?
<br>let me know I have one of those myself laying around and I would like to knw how good that works can you give me the following data. yoiur cpu temp/ #2 your motherboard temp and #3 your room temp thanks
<br>terramir
[addsig]

da98
Friend of SPCR

Post by da98 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:51 pm

I use a Silverado 50 MkII to my 900MHz. That heatsink is very silent. Im runing it at 6V right now, but it can be runed at 8V, 10V and 12V, if you need more cooling effect....
You can taka a look at it here:
http://www.noisecontrol.de/internationa ... o_page.htm

The only drawback as i see it, is that it's very high, it's 114mm...

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:43 am

I used to have a silverado and can honestly say I was not impressed. First, its expensive. Second, its ugly (subjective). Third, its ~450grams yet only uses a single lug clip, and is very tall to boot. Fourth, at 6v it is fairly quiet but not as quiet as a panaflo at 7v, which combined with a AX7 or PAL 8045 can outperform the silverado with LESS NOISE, LESS COST, MORE SECURE MOUNTING, AND BETTER LOOKS (subjective). That is why I DO NOT recommend the noisecontrol silverado.

-Ken

rally

Post by rally » Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:41 am

Rusty075 wrote:I've got a dual PIII 1Ghz box that is using a pair of Zalman CNPS6000ALCU heatsinks with no fans, with no problem at all.
What motherboard are you running for the PIII 1Ghz duallies?

quokked

Post by quokked » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:24 am

u could maybe stick on a pair of nidec blowers on top like this guy did http://www.overclockers.com/tips902/ it'll cost u less to get your hands on a pair of blowers :D