SPCR's Fan Round-Up #2: 120mm Fans

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon May 12, 2008 10:24 am

jonlumb wrote:I have sent a request to Sharkoon to send you one of their "Golf Ball" fans. They claim stats of 19dB and 36.7CFM, and at just under £7 are a bit of a bargain in my book.

If you don't hear anything from them, I will more than happily send you one to review, as I use them in all my builds.
People have tried to get them to send us their fans before -- to no avail. I think they're scared of what we'll find. :lol:

Or maybe they figure since we're on this side of the Atlantic, somehow our review will not be useful o them. Whatever, I don't have much respect for them as a company -- so narrowminded and shortsighted!

If you would like to send samples, by all means -- send at least 2-3, and pack them really really well. We'll consider this a "patron level" donation from you! :)

jonlumb
Friend of SPCR

Post by jonlumb » Mon May 12, 2008 12:40 pm

MikeC wrote:If you would like to send samples, by all means -- send at least 2-3, and pack them really really well. We'll consider this a "patron level" donation from you! :)
Is that 2-3 copies of the same fan, or a couple from their range that you would like?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon May 12, 2008 1:22 pm

jonlumb wrote:Is that 2-3 copies of the same fan, or a couple from their range that you would like?
Same fan, of course.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Wed May 27, 2009 2:28 pm

MikeC wrote:
If you would like to send samples, by all means -- send at least 2-3, and pack them really really well. We'll consider this a "patron level" donation from you! :)
I have some Thermaltake A2329 cat fans that im replacing, would you like me to send those your way, or can you save me the trouble and just tell me that the 1200 rpm S-Flex are much better :wink:

KarlMarX

Post by KarlMarX » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:24 am

I want to replace the Antec fans of the Antec P183, because they are too noisy and the top fan is resonating a lot which make the top of the case resonating and humming.

I read in the reviews here that sleeve fans are not usable for horizontal mounting? Why? I saw that the Scythe Slipstreams are very quit, but these are sleeve fans.
How about the S-flex? These are fluid bearing. Is this usable for horizontal mounting?
Which fans are the fans to go for? S-flex of slipstreams? (or others?)
Also which rpm? I want them to be quieter then the stock Antec fans (at low).

Thank you very much.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:23 am

Hi & welcome to SPCR,

I am of the opinion that the whole thing about horizontal sleeve fans is blown way out of proportion; there may be a few (one?) fans that slowed down when mounted to blow downward -- but not when blowing upward. I'm thinking of the GlobalWin NCB fan in particular. It is a sleeve bearing, but an unusual one, with ceramic bearings.

And some sleeve bearing fans do wear out (maybe) more quickly when mounted in certain positions (than some ball bearing fans?, or other sleeve bearing fans?) -- but this by definition, is anecdotal and it is very hard to make any hard and fast rules!

If you get quiet fans, and they wear out, then you replace them. So, I would not get hung up on this "urban legend" -- choose the quietest fans that you can, and deal with the future issues IF they occur.

KarlMarX

Post by KarlMarX » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:48 am

Thank you!

The main problem is with the top fan. The stock fan is sleeve and when you hold it horizontal, you can feel that the fan is generating much more viberations than when you hold it vertical. So I need the fan what is generating the less viberation as possible.

Lt_Dan

Post by Lt_Dan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am

since the review, the NOCTUA NF-S12 got a new edition: NOCTUA NF-S12B.
will you cover this new edition? do other fans get new revisions?

minisaw

Post by minisaw » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:50 pm

to the article authors:

please explain what do you mean under:

"As mentioned, the noise character is very low and smooth. This is ideal, since the lower frequencies do not cover distance easily."

afaik, the longer the wave, the larger are the obstacles that the wave can bypass unimpeded.

digitalcoder

Post by digitalcoder » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:47 am

I like the Yate loon fans, there are good and cheap