Point of View ION Atom 330 M/Board Review

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lordmetroid

Post by lordmetroid » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:24 pm

The GPU do not have any onboard memory and hence reserves a few hundread MB for its use, memory is also reserved for other uses besides the GPU so as far as I have understood it, all the memory comes to use.

-TDO-

Post by -TDO- » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:13 am

mczak wrote:
-TDO- wrote:I don't know the exactly resource, but there has been a long discussion about this topic.

The answer from a Intel technican was, the existing Atom Cpus can only adress 4 GB.

So there will be no board with memory remapping or more then 4 GB.

-TDO-
I'd really need a source to be able to believe this. Otherwise, not going to trust unknown source over the official intel atom datasheet (even though we know it has typos in that area).
Here an answer from Asrock supprt.

Atom PDF datasheet Page 5 : http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/320528.pdf

Atom CPU only has 32 address line.
If CPU support memory remapping function, it needs 35 address line.
And below datasheet shows he has change 35 line to 32.
So, it won't support memory remapping function, the memory size will less than 4G.
This is due to Atom CPU.

TDO

herrakx

Post by herrakx » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Well just to update... my mobo died this weekend. It won't boot ubuntu, clonezilla, win7 install dvd, winxp install cd, win7 installed on the hard drive... nothing.

In linux and win7 (both install disk and hd installation) just freezes on boot. Winxp install cd bluescreens after loading the drivers. That happens with a sata dvd drive and an usb dvd drive.

I've tried disabling lan, sata, and sound. Can't disable usb since I've got only an usb keyboard.

I've also tried other memory modules and psu to no avail.

Guess I'll have to call the dealer and see if they will exchange it or something...

cordis

just got one

Post by cordis » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Hey, I just got one of these, had some trouble with it. Installing Ubuntu on it, I couldn't get the nvidia drivers to install for the ION chip. I have a gtx 275 installed in the pci-e slot, so I've been getting good video through that, but nothing from the board so far. Hope the board doesn't die, I've been pushing it fairly hard. I'll let you know if it dies.

StartledPancake

Post by StartledPancake » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:30 am

I know its been a while but Ive just purchased another energy meter and have gotten, as suggested, quite different results on power usage:

Boot - 31w
Flash playback 30w
idle 27w
Off- 0.5w

I havent tested the sleep as it wont wake via bluetooth.

Using this as a HTPC has become an exercise in frustration due to the sluggish flash performance in a browser. I guess nobodys found any software overclocking utils for this board?

Also has anyone tried loading the IPX7A-ION330 BIOS as I believe the boards are identical?

StartledPancake

Re: Point of View ION Atom 330 M/Board Review

Post by StartledPancake » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:33 am

mczak wrote:
StartledPancake wrote: The Intel Atom CPU (&Chipset) supports 64-bit instructions but not 64-bit memory addressing... All Intel Atom based notebooks/pc's/mainboards have this issue... So it's really an issue of the CPU and not the support of the mainboard.
I didnt write this reply - youve misquoted me. Literally :D

StartledPancake

Post by StartledPancake » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:36 am

xs2reality wrote:
StartledPancake wrote: I've got two 2GB kingston so-dimm modules in it and it only sees 3.3GB of available memory, both with Windows 7 64 bit and with memtest86+.

There are no 64 bit drivers in the CD, and nvidia's webpage network drivers fail to initialize the network card. I have to use the ones that come with 7, but they only go up to 100mbps.

This should quote herrakx, not me. I have 2x1GB modules precisely because Im aware of this issue.

herrakx

Post by herrakx » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:56 pm

StartledPancake wrote:
xs2reality wrote:
StartledPancake wrote: I've got two 2GB kingston so-dimm modules in it and it only sees 3.3GB of available memory, both with Windows 7 64 bit and with memtest86+.

There are no 64 bit drivers in the CD, and nvidia's webpage network drivers fail to initialize the network card. I have to use the ones that come with 7, but they only go up to 100mbps.

This should quote herrakx, not me. I have 2x1GB modules precisely because Im aware of this issue.
I didn't know it at the time but anyway 3.3gb of ram is better than 2. I did contact support and ask about it and they didn't know either, tough.

And even if it doesn't use 4+ gig of ram, I still want the 64 bit os, and it can run it fine. They should have the drivers for download but you can get it from nvidia anyway.

The dealer asked me to send the board and if they find it defective will send a replacement one, which I plan to sell as soon as I get it. I've started to hate it with passion.

StartledPancake

Post by StartledPancake » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:02 am

herrakx wrote:
StartledPancake wrote:
xs2reality wrote:
I didn't know it at the time but anyway 3.3gb of ram is better than 2. I did contact support and ask about it and they didn't know either, tough.

And even if it doesn't use 4+ gig of ram, I still want the 64 bit os, and it can run it fine. They should have the drivers for download but you can get it from nvidia anyway.

The dealer asked me to send the board and if they find it defective will send a replacement one, which I plan to sell as soon as I get it. I've started to hate it with passion.
I totally understand where your coming from, as soon as Zotac or someone else make an Atom 330 board with a decent BIOS (ie overclocking as its essential) and a PCIe x16 slot Ill be replacing mine as well.

-TDO-

Post by -TDO- » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:51 pm

StartledPancake wrote: Using this as a HTPC has become an exercise in frustration due to the sluggish flash performance in a browser. I guess nobodys found any software overclocking utils for this board?
It is possible, but it will bring not much performance enhancement.
If the Cpu is to slow for your needs you have chosen the wrong board.
Why don't you use one with 775 socket? (zotec, aopen) The slowest 775 cpu is much faster then the atom.
Or wait for the new flash player with Gpu support.

StartledPancake wrote: I havent tested the sleep as it wont wake via bluetooth.
Works like a charme here. (bluetooth keyboard)
There must be something wrong with your configuration.

StartledPancake wrote: Also has anyone tried loading the IPX7A-ION330 BIOS as I believe the boards are identical?
The "new" Pegatron BIOS corresponds to the POV V1.04 BIOS.

-TDO-

rossewij

Post by rossewij » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:37 am

For a camera application, we were looking for a compact , low power PCI express x4 platform. At the time of selection, the POV MB330 ION-ATOM seemed the only platform available (atom pineview and arrandale were not released yet) providing these features. We did the following power measurements:

MB : Point Of View, POV ION-MB330 (miniITX, atom 330 + ION chipset and PCI express x16)
http://www.pointofview-online.com/showr ... duct_id=97
SSD: Intel, X25M-160 G
MEM: 1x 2GB SODIMM PC2-5300 (667MHz)
PS1: Deer/Allied DR-8250SFX (POV ION-CS330 system came with SPIRE/APEX case with PS1 installed)
PS2: FSP90 (90W, Pico-like PS)
measurement device: Voltcraft Energy check 3000 @ 230V

Power with XP running idle:
PS1: 28W
PS2: 20W !!!!
PS2: 22.6W (2 x 2GB SODIMM PC2-6400 (800MHz) )

Now with frame grabber installed (also idle): Dalsa X64 Xcelera-CL PX4, PCI express x4
PS1: 37W
PS2: 30W

I exprerimented also with other supplies. The results can be found at:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~rossewij/PCpower.doc
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~rossewij/IONatom330PICO.jpg

Conclusion:
* (FSP) Pico PS significant more efficient, especially at lower powers.
* 2G additional memory draws 2.5...3W more
* POV MB330 ION-ATOM with 2 Gbye memory combined with a pico PS consumes < 20 Watt idle !!!!!.
The POV MB330 ION-ATOM (cost around 120 euro) makes it possible to build a small/compact, low priced, low power ( < 20W !!! idle with pico PSU ) system with PCI express x16 functionality.
Last edited by rossewij on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

mczak

Post by mczak » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:01 am

-TDO- wrote:Here an answer from Asrock supprt.

Atom PDF datasheet Page 5 : http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/320528.pdf

Atom CPU only has 32 address line.
If CPU support memory remapping function, it needs 35 address line.
And below datasheet shows he has change 35 line to 32.
So, it won't support memory remapping function, the memory size will less than 4G.
This is due to Atom CPU.

TDO
Would you really need 35 address lines? I thought that anything above 32 should be enough (though obviously 33 would limit address space to 8GB). Note that the datasheet still lists 33 since [32:3] are 33 address lines not 32 (with the lowest 3 always zero). In any case, I am now convinced the datasheet is just too bogus to draw any conclusions, with the pinout still different from the pin summary and again different to the pin description. So maybe it's true and the chips really don't support it. Those motherboard companies might get more accurate information from intel than what's in the datasheet... Anyway, next gen atom chips are just around the corner, maybe more luck with them (though they'll have graphics on-die so no luck with ION).

NT

Post by NT » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Has anyone been able to find an ION board with 2x PCI-e (1 4x & 1 16x)* or is ITX just too small?
If that's definitely true how come there aren't any Micro-ATX ION boards? Or are there?

I mean the ION platform is certainly capable of a lot more expandability!
Google "nvidia ION" for the wikipedia article & look at the specs section.
I'm not allowed to post URL's yet...

Cheers
*ideally 1 16x PCI-e and 1 PCI, but I doubt that's gunna happen.
Can always get PCI-e to PCI converter....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:05 am

NT wrote:Has anyone been able to find an ION board with 2x PCI-e (1 4x & 1 16x)* or is ITX just too small?
If that's definitely true how come there aren't any Micro-ATX ION boards? Or are there?
mITX can have only one slot -- by form factor definition/spec. ION is only mTX or smaller, afaik.

The mini-DTX form factor introduced by AMD 2 years ago is exactly one slot wider than mini-ITX and might be a few of these boards around, mostly for industrial apps, it seems. DTX mostly never got off the ground. Many brands announced and even produced one or two but afaik, they've since disappeared.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/DTX_form_factor

NT

Post by NT » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:32 am

post 2

NT

Post by NT » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:32 am

Post 3

NT

Post by NT » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:33 am

MikeC wrote:mITX can have only one slot -- by form factor definition/spec.
Are you sure of this? Do you know where it's doco'd?
ION is only mTX or smaller, afaik.
I can't believe there's no ION boards for the mATX form-factor. I mean...
Looking at the specs of the ION there's certainly a lot more room for expandability than what mITX can realistically accommodate!

Anyway doesn't matter as I'm going this route now:
Motherboard choice dilemma...
The mini-DTX form factor introduced by AMD 2 years ago is exactly one slot wider than mini-ITX and might be a few of these boards around, mostly for industrial apps, it seems. DTX mostly never got off the ground. Many brands announced and even produced one or two but afaik, they've since disappeared.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/DTX_form_factor
Intriguing thanks, I would prefer Core2 over PhenomII though I think.
And definitely nV IGP &OR discrete as this will be for a Linux-based Media FE

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:13 am

Look elsewhere on the main site and in the forums. There's tons of info on energy efficiency mATX system options. No question that mATX is the most bang for the buck in every way. I think one of the most energy efficient boards ever is an MSI785G mATX -- see mobo reviews. Combine it with an A64 x2 240e, you'll have plenty of proc. speed and umpteen features for ridiculously cheap.

savocanberra

Post by savocanberra » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi All,

Here is a CPU overclocking HACK for the ION330 M/B boards using the Nvidia MCP7A-ION. e.g. POV ION330, etc....

I have attached the files required.

http://rapidshare.com/files/317763065/C ... y-Savo.zip

ENJOY!!!!

Savo

NT

Post by NT » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks,

Unfortunately AMD IGP is no good for video acceleration &or post processing in *nix systems compared to nV.
But there is a case to be made for their CPU's...

I'm not sure when you look at performance/watt it's as clear cut.
But definitely generally less draw....
MikeC wrote:Look elsewhere on the main site and in the forums. There's tons of info on energy efficiency mATX system options. No question that mATX is the most bang for the buck in every way. I think one of the most energy efficient boards ever is an MSI785G mATX -- see mobo reviews. Combine it with an A64 x2 240e, you'll have plenty of proc. speed and umpteen features for ridiculously cheap.

savocanberra

Post by savocanberra » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Anyone interested in Overclocking there GPU you can use http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

Keep an eye on the temp's.

ENJOY!

notaduck

Post by notaduck » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 am

hey i just got a used pov ion atom 330. but when is tart the machine i am only able to get picture on my screen for like 1-30 sec. and after that it just stays black?
it dosnt matter if i am in bios or are trying to lad windows ? the picture is somtimes distored and is jumping from the rigt side to the left side ? does anybody of you know what i could do to repair it ?