First question: mufflers?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

doughatesnoise

First question: mufflers?

Post by doughatesnoise » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Hello!

First post here. I saw that mufflers are not much discussed, but for me it is probably the cheapest (?) solution to my problem.

I have a Shuttle XPC whose power supply is horribly loud: high, whiny sound that drove me to disassemble the computer and put it away until I can devise a solution. All other components are fine, so I don't want to buy a new case, then motherboard, then PSU...

Point being, has anyone muffled the Shuttle (or like system) with foam cladding or anything which can significantly dampen noise without creating a hothouse inside the case?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR,

The fan in the PSU can be replaced with a quieter one, and the grill on the exhaust can be cut away, or otherwise modified to improve air flow. What is in the system -- maybe you can swap out the PSU for a Pico PSU?

doughatesnoise

Post by doughatesnoise » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks; I'm not familiar with a Pico PSU, but I will research that. The fan could probably be replaced, but I'm not certain. It is a Shuttle SG31G2, with PSU model 8P-B5501B0 (stock), 250W, that is the culprit.

doughatesnoise

PicoPSU-90?

Post by doughatesnoise » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:07 pm

I have Core 2 Duo processor, plus SATA hard drive and DVD drive. I'm guessing that the PicoPSU-90 is too underpowered for these? (I have a 20-pin ATX connector with additional 4-pin connector, and the 120 "does not offer the 4-pin P4 power connector required by some Pentium and Core Duo mainboards.")