Mac temperture monitors & fan control

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

Mac temperture monitors & fan control

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Hello,

Well, my son found that there is a program that can control the minimum speed of the fan(s) in a Mac, called smcFanControl, and it does a decent job. If you speed them up, and then turn them down, they take a while to slow back down again. AFAICT, if the temps rise, then the speed ramps up -- this program lets you set the minimums.

For an amazing amount of temperature info, you can use Temperature Monitor -- it reads a total of 13 different temps in my iMac; including things like the memory controller and wireless module, but also the stuff that is more important: heatsink and CPU core temps, GPU, external HD and SMART sensor. You name it, it is there.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 am

cool beans. bookmarked for my next mac debug.

fri2219

Re: Mac temperture monitors & fan control

Post by fri2219 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:14 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

Well, my son found that there is a program that can control the minimum speed of the fan(s) in a Mac, called smcFanControl, and it does a decent job. If you speed them up, and then turn them down, they take a while to slow back down again. AFAICT, if the temps rise, then the speed ramps up -- this program lets you set the minimums.
Alternatively, there is also "Fan Control". I prefer its interface and control options over smcFanControl.