Newcomer: Quiet Professional 3D and casual gamer rig

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stealthClamps

Newcomer: Quiet Professional 3D and casual gamer rig

Post by stealthClamps » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 am

Hi,

This is my first post on SPCR. I've decided I need a new PC, and this seems to be the best place to get advice; I know what kind of 'core' hardware I need, but silencing is another matter.

I work as a 3D artist and compositor at an animation studio at the moment, which means I have Dell and HP workstations whirring away around me all day, every day.

When I get home I want something that's as silent as possible - but I can't get away from the fact that I need as much CPU and GPU as I can afford, since my setup will be used for both 3D work and gaming. And liquid cooling sounds (no pun intended) too complicated and expensive... So I guess I will have to put up with some noise, my goal is therefore to build as quiet as I can.

Here's what i've planned so far:
CASE: Antec P193 (lots of space for stuff i might need later, lots of air, good reviews)
PSU: Antec CP-850 (excellent reviews on SPCR, lots of juice)
CPU: Intel i7 p920 or 950 (the more, the merrier)
RAM: 8-12 GB (not decided on the brand)
GPU: 1x GeForce GTX 275 (for now)
STORAGE: Might start out with a cheap drive, might upgrade to some kind of RAID setup later
MAINBOARD: Not really decided

So, my question is: how can I silence this thing as much as possible?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:44 am

Hi,
Welcome to SPCR

Get a large CPU cooler (ninja or something along those lines), a bunch of fans from the recommended list and that will be a good start.

As for the GPU, why not go for a new ATI one (58xx) ? They seem to have low power comsumption at idle (i.e. easy to cool) and are quite powerfull.
Also, check out aftermarket GPU coolers. The Accelero is popular around here (check compatibility with your card).

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:02 am

SSD drives, Seasonic X series PSU

jeekub

Post by jeekub » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:10 am

Definitely go for a SSD as a system/utility drive - its quiet and incredibly fast.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:25 pm

frenchie wrote:Get a large CPU cooler (ninja or something along those lines), a bunch of fans from the recommended list and that will be a good start.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I thought I read somewhere that the P193 case had some compatibility problems with full-size tower heatsinks, due to the size of the size panel fan possibly interfering with full height (approx 160mm) tower heatsinks.

Given this, a P183 case might be more appropriate, which also avoids the possibly loud side fan in the P193.

Other than this and replacing the stock fans with fans from SPCR's Recommended Fans list and considering stretching your budget to an SSD as mentioned by other posters, you could also try using RivaTuner to control the fan speeds on your GTX275 so that it ramps up past a certain temperature (a few degrees above what your temp would be when you starting gaming or doing intensive 3D work that needs GPU power).

Thermalright also make some good aftermarket coolers for Nvidia cards - their HR-03 or Trad ranges should have something that is compatible with a GTX275.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Good catch JamieG !!! Thanks.

Just outof curiosity, what OS are you going to use ?