It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: earthwatts 380w wire diagram
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:56 pm 

The psu has two 12v rails. I need to determine which rail has what wiring. I want to rule out the psu for my catastrophic failure recently in regards to a vrm getting hot enough to melt the paint off the mobo and pulverize the end of a reistor nearby..all with no overheat.

my new vid card did not use pcie, it has a crazy floppy connect. I am wondering a way to make a connector from pcie as a floppy or from a molex to floppy. the 380 only has one floppy connector, sharing with the hard drives. I had a bad feeling about it upon plugging it in. I want it spread across two rails and need to know where what wires do on what rail.

anybody know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:29 pm 

Most PSUs with 2 rails have the ATX12V connector (the one near the CPU socket) on 1 rail and everything else on the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:55 pm 

hey thanks.

risking warranty, I took the cover off to get a plastic piece that was never attached from day one to an inductor, and strapped it in with a thin tie. I wish i could claim this as the error, but going through what I have gone through...it was simpler to just get the chore out of the way. I'd end up with another just like it.

this piece I refer to looks to be important to keep away from some large mosfets on a large heatsink on one side, and a resistor 10ohm(?) sized large, and a circuit board with points facing the very "wiggly" inductor as well, not far off. I am willing to bet a good zap killed the mobo mosfet..
the plastic insulates and keeps the inductor still. one sway , less than .25 (5mm) and it would not be friendly.

It is a nice supply otherwise. I never noticed the mosfet for one rail..the x650 review recently has these in the 3.3 and 5...the 380 has it in a larger realm. I do have a hdd that made it to 23900 hours and no sign of an end of life.. I could guess why now after looking inside at the psu.