do i need a floppy connector?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

expxe

do i need a floppy connector?

Post by expxe » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:12 pm

my PS has a floppy drive connector but i don't use floppy drives anymore. should i remove the wire+plug from the PS or is there something else the floppy drive connector can be used for?

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:34 pm

I've seen them used on a few things, such as a CF-to-IDE adapter I have, but generally they are useless today. Do you really need to remove it though? It's not as if it takes up a lot of space.

cb95014

Post by cb95014 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:49 pm

The ASUS Xonar DX sound card requires an external floppy-style power connector. Otherwise I haven't used one in years.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:30 am

I just usually zip-tie it backwards along the adjacent molex connector so it stays out of the way if I need to actually use that set of cables.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:54 am

Yes, you still need the floppy drive power connector. I would not remove it if I were you. The FDD is an essential part of any system. Why do you think motherboards still retain FDD support in the days of SATA6, eSATA, USB3? It's not just there to look good. There will be a time when that flash drive, CD/DVD won't be recognised as a bootdisk whatever the forces of nature tell you and nothing else will work other than a floppy. Rare as it is, it still happens. Some may laugh, some may mock; all may shake their head. But the FDD will long outlive many a PC component. So, just tie up and and tuck away the connectors you don't need. Don't hack them. Else you'll be sorry.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:08 am

I was going to ask how to install additional floppy power connectors. ;)

I don't like cutting off connectors because if a single strand of copper wire protrudes even a tiny amount beyond the insulation, it can cause a short. So at the very least I stretch the insulation to cover the strands.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:59 am

Take my last post a little on the sarcastic side. While not "essential", I still find it useful in certain situations. It's incredibly noisy and slow though, which is why I am going to try moving all my bootdisks and diagnostic utilities to USB flash drives and optical media.