router

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
fanrizio

router

Post by fanrizio » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 pm

Can you use a wireless router without hooking it up to a modem? Ok I have an old G router that is not being used because we upgraded to N. My room is on the opposite side of the house from the modem and the N router. Is there anyway I can take the G router and hook it up in my room if there is no modem in the room. My bars are low in my room and I need to boost my connection for Xbox LIVE and video streaming and stuff. Any Ideas?

azgarth

Post by azgarth » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:53 am

that would depend on the router, some routers have such capabilities, see if yours have such capabilities.
note that you'll be limited to G though, you can't use N with it.

if you don't know how to connect to your router, http://www.portforward.com/ has information about a lot of routers.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 am

Here's DD-WRT's wiki to setting their router s/w as a Wireless access point. Your router may be similar.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:13 am

I used DD-WRT in "repeater" configuration to do what you are looking for. It extended the wifi signal to the far end of my parents' house. Works great. google your router and "repeater" to see if it supports something similar, or look into putting 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt or tomato on it if it doesn't.