Cheap, high resolution laptop

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

michaelt

Cheap, high resolution laptop

Post by michaelt » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:59 pm

From what I can tell, what I'm looking for isn't readily available, but I'll ask anyway.

I'll be visiting the US later this month and am looking to buy a laptop to use at uni next year. I'm looking to spend at most $USD600, although less would be preferable.

My criteria are reasonable (better than Atom) performance and battery life, and a good screen resolution resolution for the size. HDMI output is highly preferred, but not an absolute necessity. Noise doesn't matter too much as I'll be using this mostly in noisy environments.

Are there any laptops at that price point with a vertical resolution above 800?

If there aren't, then I'm probably just going to go for the smallest laptop with that resolution that I can find. The one I'm currently looking at is the Acer 1810TZ, or the Gateway equivalent. Cheapest I can find is at Tigerdirect at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4938 for $USD 550 minus Bing cashback. The (cheaper) Acer 1410 doesn't look bad either, but the dual core SU2300 version seems to be sold out almost everywhere, or at such a high price it doesn't seem like good value.