Trying to extend wireless network...

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
tehfire

Trying to extend wireless network...

Post by tehfire » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:35 am

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out how to extend my existing wireless network. I submit to you for guidance...

Currently, I have a Dlink DIR-655 wireless router. I also have a wired network throughout my house. Everything is secured via a WPA2/AES scheme. The wireless router works great, but there are a few dead spots in my home. What I want to do is connect some device to the DIR-655 via the wired network, and have that new device extend the wireless network. Does that make sense?

The DIR-655 is a DraftN router, and I want to preserve that capability with the new router. This limits my options, but I've looked into the Dlink DAP-1522 "Wireless Bridge/Access Point". Now the 1522 has an access point feature which allows it to broadcast a wireless network. If I made the wireless settings on the 1522 identical to the ones for the 655 (SSID, pre-shared key, etc.), will I have, in effect, extended my wireless network? Will this cause any problems when I try to connect with a computer to the network and there are two access points?

I hope this makes sense...

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes, you will have. The recommendation is usually to set the other Access Point to a channel that differs from the primary router as to not cause issues on the frequency. Just remember to disable DHCP on Access Point.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks, Azn. Will try it soon...

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Relocating the router and and exploring with a laptop running inSSIDer would be some cheap fun.

inSSIDer is a free Wi-Fi network scanner for Windows Vista and Windows XP.

www.metageek.net/products/inssider

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:49 pm

That would definitely be best, but I wired the house before the house was completed, and I have the hub only in one spot. Can't move it...

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:30 pm

A common CAT5e cable run can carry 2 100BaseTX circuits. First you would have to determine if any of your wired locations are suitable for the coverage you want and then you can use an inexpensive switch at the wiring hub.