Why isn't there a section of reviews? How to locate reviews?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

DaRuSsIaMaN

Why isn't there a section of reviews? How to locate reviews?

Post by DaRuSsIaMaN » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:23 pm

I think the organization of content is a bit messed up. Shouldn't there be a section containing all the reviews? Yet, on the top left, where it says "Sections", there is no such section. ??
There's a link called "Article Index" but either that's something different or it's not working correctly. Because when I go to article index and do a search, I can't come up with (all) the review articles. For example, I just tried typing in the term "corsair". Only 1 article result came up, this one. But you have obviously done reviews of more corsair PSU's than that... like this one. The only way I can find to access the second link is from your list of recommended PSU's...

How come when I type in "seasonic", I only get 2 results from the Power section, and articles like this one are not in the results (again accessible from the list of recommended PSUs)?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:21 am

Before you do a search in the article index, increase the "Number of articles to list per section:" from the default 20. You could try 200 and you'll probably find what you need.
And in the menu to the left, where it says "Articles", the reviews are also accessible through whatever category they belong to.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:06 am

agree that the organization could be better.

you might have some luck trying searches the"article discussion" forums only? because (nearly?) every article is listed there with a link to the article in the first post. Unfortunately there is no way to search thread titles only...but once a page of results is up you can use ctrl-f to highlight the word seasonic in the results.
-cumbersome, but it works.-

"seasonic" in SPCR article discussion forum...
search.php?mode=results

DaRuSsIaMaN

Post by DaRuSsIaMaN » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:00 am

Tephras wrote:Before you do a search in the article index, increase the "Number of articles to list per section:" from the default 20. You could try 200 and you'll probably find what you need.
Well, that does seem to work. That doesn't make any sense, though... When I search for seasonic using the default setting, I get 2 results in the Do-It-Yourself-Systems and 2 results in Power.

But when I increase to 200, as you say, I get
which is much more results in the Power section, as I wanted, and more results from other sections, too. But what the hell, in the first search, those results were nowhere near "20 per section", which is supposed to be the limit. They don't even come close to 20 added up. And why were results from those other sections omitted, yet they do come up when it's increased to 200?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Think of the "Number of articles to list per section" as "Number of articles to search, in reverse chronological order, in each section". In other words, the default of 20 will search the twenty most recently posted articles/reviews in every section (or in the one you have chosen). Increase the number to 200* and every article/review posted since the start of SPCR will be searched (or listed if you don't do a search).

* Not that any section has that many articles, it's just easy to add a zero after "20". I believe something like 130 is the greatest number of articles posted in any section at the moment (the cooling section).

DaRuSsIaMaN

Post by DaRuSsIaMaN » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Oh. Well thank you for clearing that up. :)

Those things should definitely be re-worded or re-organized so that it all makes sense.