Lian Li PC-Q07 ... Mini ITX

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cov

Post by Cov » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Jamie !!!!!

ok, so your motherboard has the dimensions: 194 mm x 244 mm.

That's 24 mm wider and 74 mm longer than Mini iTX.

The panel (where the mainboard has to be fixed on) has the exact dimensions of 208 mm x 280 mm, that would leave approx 13 to 14 mm width.

Here is a comparison between the left hand side panel and a piece of paper with the measurments of that Gigabyte motherboard:

Here is the motherboard sized paper lying on the panel.
As you can see, there is little space left ... approx 13 mm alltogether in width.

It looks tight, but my guess is that it could fit.

Here you can see the depth of the case in comparison to the width of the mainboard.

And here just to show that the hight of the case can accomodate the length of the board well:

Only problem is the cut out for the I/O pane.
Looking at where the socjets are located on the board (once it is fixed into the case) it won't match the position where the sockets supposed to be (Mini iTX).

Cov

Post by Cov » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 am

Your guess is correct. But wouldn't it be too much of an mess for you to cut out a chunk from the top left hand backside ?

And yes, the ODD bay would have to be removed too.

By the way, the ODD bay is not screwed but kind of fixed with little punsh pins.
Removing should not be an issue, but it might be hard to put it back if you ever decide to do so.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks Cov, very much appreciated!!!

The paper model is great. I've no problem with cutting out some extra space on the rear of the case to accommodate the I/O area, or drilling some new holes for motherboard standoffs.

The DVD drive isn't a big loss to me, so no worries there either. Looks like I might have a solution to my case issues if my latest idea for a DIY case doesn't prove to be feasible (or is too expensive).

Cheers again,

Jamie

boerner

Post by boerner » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 pm

The red variant of this case seems to be in stock at newegg now...

stupid forum won't let me post a link...

Truzzone

Post by Truzzone » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 am

Hi! I'm going to buy this awesome case, just a question to who already owns it... can i have both a 3.5" and a 2.5" drive installed?

Thanks

Cov

Post by Cov » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 am

Truzzone wrote:.. can i have both a 3.5" and a 2.5" drive installed?
There is an HDD cage on the bottom for an 3.5" drive and the frame for an 5.25" ODD at the top.

1. Are you going to use an 2.5" SSD or an 2.5" HDD ?
I personally have my SSD lying inside the case without that it's beeing fixed anywhere.
As it has no moving parts, there's no need for it to be fixed in any particular position.

2. Are you going to use a full size ATX PSU or a PicoPSU ?
Depending on what motherboard / CPU combination you are going to have, when using a conventional PSU, there's hardly any airflow at all inside this case and heat will built-up easily.
With a PicoPSU you could use a CPU cooler up to 160 mm heigth instead only 70 mm (where the top of the cooler almost touches the PSU and makes it almost ineffective).

Eddie666

Post by Eddie666 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 am

That is what I put inside my Lian Li Q07B:

cpu: intel q9400s
dissipatore cpu: thermalright 120 ultra + noctua 120mm nf-p12
motherboard: commell lv-678
ram: 2x2gb teamgroup xtreem
vga: club 3d 9600 green edition
hard disk: 1x160gb western digital scorpio black + 1x320gb western digital scorpio black
optic: lettore bluray/masterizzatore dvd sony optiarc bc-5600s
psu: pico psu 150w
case fan: noctua 92mm nf-b9

Image Image Image Image

aztec

Post by aztec » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:44 am

Hey Cov,

Any ideas on how to place a 120mm fan inside that its blowing out to the rear?

I was thinking of this case for a WHS build.

2x 3.5" HDs
passive m-ITX board (no cooler needed)
Pico PSU
No OD

So have soem room to work with obviously.

I just can't imagine where how to place a 120m fan. I don't want to zip tie it on the side either (vibrations).

Maybe a 92mm fan mounted in teh area where the PSU would have gone, would be the best option.

Thanks for any ideas.

Eddie666

Post by Eddie666 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:45 am

aztec wrote:Hey Cov,

2x 3.5" HDs
Pico PSU
No OD

I just can't imagine where how to place a 120m fan. I don't want to zip tie it on the side either (vibrations).

Maybe a 92mm fan mounted in teh area where the PSU would have gone, would be the best option.

Thanks for any ideas.
like this? ;)

the fan is a SCYTHE SLIP STREAM Slim 120mm

aztec

Post by aztec » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:00 am

Eddie666 wrote:
aztec wrote:Hey Cov,

2x 3.5" HDs
Pico PSU
No OD

Thanks for any ideas.
like this? ;)

the fan is a SCYTHE SLIP STREAM Slim 120mm
That's an idea Eddy!

any reason you used a slim Slipstream? Would there be any problems using a standard width 120mm fan?

Also, any vibrations on the case with the fan mounted liek that?

Thanks!

Eddie666

Post by Eddie666 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:35 am

aztec wrote: That's an idea Eddy!

any reason you used a slim Slipstream? Would there be any problems using a standard width 120mm fan?

Also, any vibrations on the case with the fan mounted liek that?

Thanks!
I used a slim slipstream cause, as you can see in this foto

the thermalright doesn't leave me enough space: if you mount a small cooler there are no problem to install a regular 120mm fan.
I downvolt the fan, so it runs around @ 1000rpm, and it doesn't produce any vibrations.
Last edited by Eddie666 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linnaeus Tripe

Post by Linnaeus Tripe » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:10 am

Fantastic build - I have a similar one using a Ninja 2 on e8500. When I just used the SlipStream blowing through Ninja front-to-back temps where poor, so I drilled some holes in the PSU bracket to mount a 120mm Nexus fan and it works great. I had a Sunbeam fan controller in the expansion slot hole and generally keep the fans at their slowest (and for my purposes silent.) I have wondered about just using the exhaust fan by itself, but it is such a nuisance getting back into this case I have left it as-is for now.

aztec

Post by aztec » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks Eddie!

Actually, I won't need a CPU cooler....nto wit this board. :wink:

http://www.mini-box.com/D510MO-mini-ITX-Intel

andries82

Fitting a radeon 5770 in the PC-Q07

Post by andries82 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi all,

i am about to buy a PC-Q07 with a zotac ITX9300.

Now the new radeon HD 5770 is just 1 mm longer than the total width of the case.

h t t p : / / w w w . b i t - t e c h . n e t / hardware/graphics/2009/10/13/amd-ati-radeon-hd-5770-review/2

And it has a "dual slot" end with lots of connectors. Do you think this could be fitted when taking off the end plate, fitting a custom plate and bending / removing the upper DVI port?

andries

imboox2

Post by imboox2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 am

I'm new here, I have enjoyed the discussion about this case.

I was thinking of building a new system using the enclosure. I'd not install an OD. I could set one up to run off of eSATA if I needed it. I thought for now I'd use 2.5" HD/s, go SSD later. Put in a full height video card. For CPU cooling I was looking at some sealed cooling systems from Coolitsystems.

Without the OD in there, the bracket removed, and a smaller PSU, I think I could fit one in the case. I'll have to get dimensions of everything I'm considering and throw some stuff in to a CAD program to see if I can make it work. I'd have to calculate power requirements too.

Now I'm using about a 24"/60cm tall old Inwin full tower case. My smaller form factor MB swims in it. If I modded the case I could put two mini's in it. :-) Who needs dual boot, just get dual monitors each on their own video card and a switch for the keyboard and mouse....HMMMMMmmmmmm... :wink:

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:40 am

imboox2 wrote:I'm new here, I have enjoyed the discussion about this case.

I was thinking of building a new system using the enclosure. I'd not install an OD. I could set one up to run off of eSATA if I needed it. I thought for now I'd use 2.5" HD/s, go SSD later. Put in a full height video card. For CPU cooling I was looking at some sealed cooling systems from Coolitsystems.

Without the OD in there, the bracket removed, and a smaller PSU, I think I could fit one in the case. I'll have to get dimensions of everything I'm considering and throw some stuff in to a CAD program to see if I can make it work. I'd have to calculate power requirements too.
I reckon if you modded an additional roof exhaust vent in, you could conceivably fit something like the Corsair H50 as a CPU cooler mounted on the newly cut top exhaust hole. You might have to mount the fan or the radiator part outside the case on the top, however.

This would leave enough room for a standard ATX power supply.

Fitting a discrete graphics card would be the problem.

@andries82, it would be a very tight fit for a 5770 physically, as the aluminium is a few millimetres thick. The real problem is the PCIe connector being mounted on the end of the card. This adds at least another 2cm for the PCIe cable to connect to the card. An aftermarket 5770 (or maybe a 5750) with a different cooler and top-mounted PCIe connectors might work, however.

designergeek

Post by designergeek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 am

Hi all,

A quick one to let you know I have cured the case overheating without installing a case fan when using the following components;

Zotac 9300mini itx
Intel 9450 Quad core
Zalman ZM600-HP PSU
Asus GeForce GTS240 512Mb DDR5
Akasa AK-961 Heatsink
1.5TB samsung 3.5 drive [Data]
170GB samsung 2.5 drive [system]

Its a fairly hi-end configuration as I will take this on work trips to do "workstation 3D tasks" as well as HTPC/occasional gaming use. So this case suited me in terms of portability and its ability to house a Quad core system with half decent graphics [nvidia 240].

I struggled initially with the case cooling and the previously mentioned difficultly in installing the PCIE card. With the card you need slot it in by positioning it to the side of the slot almost in position then pushing it across a few millimetres and then down into the slot.

The PCIE card fits easily once the technique is mastered and is short enough with no additional PCIE power required.

I tried various low profile coolers until I found the solution. I don’t think the exact cooler is critical as I will explain.

The problem with the case design is that it relies on the PSU to duct air from the CPU/MCP area. This is achieved with positioning the 120mm PSU fan towards the CPU. The problem with this is that even with a low profile cooler the PSU and CPU fans are very close to each other and pulling air in the opposite directions. This obviously sets up turbulence whit negatively affects the noise level and severely affects cooling. I was getting 85c on the CPU under load.

The solution was simple. I took the 90mm fan off the CPU cooler and fixed in place a 120mm fan blowing the opposite direction away from the CPU towards the PSU. Both fans blow in the same direction, both the MCP and CPU are running 20-30c cooler. Everything is great! I was about to give up on this case, but now I think I have the perfect build for my needs.

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 am

Nivk wrote:I am thinking of building me a pc around this case, some components are still hard to get here so I have some time to think stuff over.

What I have in mind is this:

Zotac's H55-ITX WiFi
Intel Core i3 530
Scythe Big Shuriken
4GB (2x2) DD3 OCZ platinum low voltage
Intel Postville 80GB

My data will be stored on a NAS so the 80GB will probably be enough. Just wondering what graphics card would fit which still are able to play a game decent enough on 1920x1080. I was looking at the 5770 series but haven't found one that would fit (some manufactures don't even list the specifications), besides most of them use a double slot bracket.
Still wonder why they didn't use slim ODD bay and or option to remove/unscrew the ODD bay completely..
What about getting a motherboard with onboard ghraphics?

Nivk

Post by Nivk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Just noticed there is a PC-Q08 on Lian Li website now, or did I just overlook it?

ces

PC-Q08

Post by ces » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm

The PC-Q08 just went up probably in the last week or two. There still is no place to buy one.

I'm not all that impressed with it. It givers you a little more room for a CPU heatsink, but not that much. And it is a pretty big case.

I bought a Q07 and I plan to cut two 120mm fan holes in it. One on top and one in the front. I think that will be much better than the PC-Q08. Though the PC-Q08 does have USB 3 connectors which is sort of nice.

Nivk

Post by Nivk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:27 am

I probably overlooked it then, since I can't find a place to buy one here either. USB 3.0 is nice, but I don't think there are any mITX boards yet with USB 3.0 on board.
When you are done with the fans on your Q07 case, can you post some pictures?

k7th

Modded Q07

Post by k7th » Sun May 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Finally! I've been meaning to post this here for a while now, I love this case and I've made some simple, but useful mods to this case. First, photos:

imagebam . com/gallery/dcb3fcb76d1ce9246a88960cb2ce4c2e/

It's running Windows Home Server. Motherboard's an Intel DG45FC with a Pentium Dual Core E5300, 2GB of memory and the power supply's an 80+ Bronze Seasonic, 300W. Two 1TBs and two 1.5TBs make up the hard drives.

Drive cage's riveted in place, bottom drive with silver screws is the system drive. Front intake mod, simple cheap Silverstone fan filter guard thing, 20mm fan, though a 25mm would fit without any issues. Power supply hangs off the back with a couple of zip ties and serves as an exhaust.

That's about it, I think?