Folding during idle?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Folding during idle?

Post by xan_user » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:29 am

Folding makes my HTPC lag while its being used.
Is there a simple way to have the GPU and or CPU folding client run only when the pc is not being used?

I know I can throttle F@H back , but it would fold way more if it ran at 100% the 90% of the time the PC sits idle.

Thanks-

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:39 am

Hi,
Is it set to run at the lowest possible priority ?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:53 am

yes, it is on lowest priority.

and even with the core set down to ~85% the response is a bit to sluggish.

do you all just run boxes only for folding? or are you folding while you use your pc's for work and play?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:03 am

I fold on my main PC (SMP + GPU), while playing (even demanding games), browsing the web, working... it never lags.

Maybe more experienced people will have ideas.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks-

id like to also put it on my kids computers, but they complain of sluggishness. seems to me more folks would fold if it was more user friendly to setup...

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:31 am

Thats one of the strenghts with boinc i think, easy to configure. I run boinc here, but it wont fire up any processing unless the machine has been idle for 5 minutes.

tbh I got well fed up with jumping through hoops to get "the mostest" out of my computer running F@H, so I just didnt bother anymore.

cordis

using it on my htpc

Post by cordis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 pm

I fold on my htpc, it seems to work fine, I don't get any stuttering during playback (or recording, I'm assuming) of HD shows. I have it running on almost all of my machines, there doesn't seem to be any lag on any of them. I exclusively use console clients though, they seem to fall into the background and pick back up more easily, you might try that.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:39 pm

After playing with it more, the cpu clients dont really seem to cause any problems, its the gpu clients that make the computer really lag. even if its just the gpu client running and firefox, web pages are slow and mouse is laggy.

Wasn't there a screen saver before? at least then it would only run when PC is not used...FAH just needs a blank screen saver option. Why there's no simple option to tweak like bionic for F@H is just beyond me. :/

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the GPU client stops on it's own when you use the computer? The CPU client does this.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:42 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the GPU client stops on it's own when you use the computer? The CPU client does this.
yeah, I guess that's ultimately my beef with the gpu client. I thought it was the cpu that was bogging it down at first...turns out itst only the machines i try running gpu client on that have performance problems.

Id just love to have the kids gaming pc run the gpu when no one using it. sometimes it goes days with no one at it. (it sleeps when its unused, but i would love to have it be working on a cure instead)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Yes and oddly enough the delays are usually with 2D, I don't see a problem with YouTube videos, just scrolling screens.

This is a known problem. I'm told later drivers suffer from it less.

An alternative I would like to try but haven't is to run my display from say integrated video (no folding) while a video card in the same PC folds. That should accomplish the best of both. Has anyone tried this? Since only 1 GPU is folding shader counts should not be a factor. Interesting?