Silent recycled pc

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colm

Silent recycled pc

Post by colm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:16 pm

I picked up this compaq sr1010nx with the dreaded 845 with bad bios.(can anyone admit that is in the millions of pcs out there yet?) Low hours, I looked it over, saw it was cheap metal, but was intrigued by some simple extras.
So I found a socket 478 mobo, retail box cheap, and went ahead with fixing it.

hidden away cdrom covers, that fold down when button pressed

the white piece in this one, is what I had to make.

I put in my spare prescott at 2800 mhz, 1mb l2 cache. I also put in the smart power 300 psu, and have that reporitng fan speed to the cpu fan plugin. the cpu cooler fan is reversed, and the rear case fan is all throttling. No screaming fans via intels fan controller built in.
The memory is 2gb twinned, coled, dual channeled , dynamic paging mode.
Very fast on the net browsing with xp sp3. the online vid streaming etc, very sharp. I liked the 865 chips with onboard graphic. simply nice.
The case was tortured by the bad compaq combo that was in it. I simply cleaned out the ionization (eww nasty!) , heatshrunk the wring ends to fit any motherboard, and used oe lights. I left the floppy installed, and not used.
Another save.

Shobai

Post by Shobai » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm

love your work! that really looks like a good case =) it'd take the long GPUs, ATX PSUs...hmm =)

p.s. what size fan is that one the back?

batim

Post by batim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 am

Hi my first post this site is fantastic ! colm just a few questions about your recycled pc just to make clear what did if you dont mind :D
I also put in the smart power 300 psu, and have that reporitng fan speed to the cpu fan plugin. the cpu cooler fan is reversed, and the rear case fan is all throttling.No screaming fans via intels fan controller built in
Iam not too familiar with your terminology what do mean by cpu fan reversed, or No screaming fans via intels...Iam doing the same with a friends pc prescott 3 ghz but the stock cpu fan is really frighting. Nice work there man.
Last edited by batim on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trav1s

Re: Silent recycled pc

Post by Trav1s » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:46 am

colm wrote: I liked the 865 chips with onboard graphic. simply nice.
The case was tortured by the bad compaq combo that was in it. I simply cleaned out the ionization (eww nasty!) , heatshrunk the wring ends to fit any motherboard, and used oe lights. I left the floppy installed, and not used.
Another save.
Nice recycling!

I just did something similar with an AMD64 based Compaq. Swapped in an extra Gigabyte 865-based 775 mobo, P4 3ghz and 2 gigs of ram for a friend. The Compaq case is really nice and the 200 watt PS will be enough for a mobo/HD/CD burner and makes a great machine