laptop with good screens?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

plympton

laptop with good screens?

Post by plympton » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Figure folks from here are picky enough to possibly know -

Any 13-14" laptops out there with a decent wide viewing angle screen?

Not necessarily IPS, but more than, well... junk.. garbage.. 5 degree viewing angle stuff they're putting in consumer gear these days.

Anyone know what an Envy 13 has?

-Dan

diver

Post by diver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:46 am

The best screen on a widely distributed notebook would be the 15" Macbook Pro, and somewhat lower quality, but still better than most would be the 13" Macbook Pro.

The 13" HP envy is better than average, too.

albernbowen

Post by albernbowen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 pm

I will also go for the Macbook Pro. It pefectly meets the requirements as mentioned in the first post. As the viewing angles of the Macbook Pro screen. Horizontal viewing angles are very impressive, while vertical angles are as expected from a notebook screen.

plympton

Post by plympton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

I upgraded my Thinkpad X32 to an IPS screen from a tablet, and it's incredible, can't go back to a junk laptop screen again. The closest alternative is getting an X200 non-LED screen and upgrading to an IPS screen from a Gateway tablet.

I'm hoping that with the iPad and iMac 22" & 27" making a big deal about it being an IPS screen, that there's some attention paid to that sector. Just picked up a 24" IPS screen for my desktop and am a happy camper.

I ended up getting an off-lease T60 14" for my wife - screen is crap, but she's not nearly as picky about these things as I am...

-Dan

pcunite

Post by pcunite » Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 am

It is hard to get IPS screens for a laptop, IBM made some and they were listed as Flexview displays. No current notebook manufacture is making good displays to my knowledge anymore. Hopefully this will change as more people become aware of the situation.

toronado455

CPVA

Post by toronado455 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Does Samsung put a CPVA panel in any laptops? (I believe CPVA may be proprietary to Samsung.) It is almost as good as IPS, but cheaper to make. Seems like a no-brainer.

croddie

Post by croddie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:39 am

The Dell Studio XPS 16 offers a wide gamut RGB LED display. Qualitative reviews from tech sites say it's good but it is a TN panel apparently.

plympton

Post by plympton » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 am

I think there's hope - the iPad uses IPS, and the new iPhone is supposedly going to use IPS. Also, the latest KNO tablet is said to use a dual-screen 14.1" (!!) IPS panel. The word is getting out that:
a. Your current laptop screen sucks
b. It doesn't HAVE to suck

My hunch is that SOMEONE is going to see this as an opportunity to sell a few million new laptops as the market get saturated with Smartbooks, Smartphones, netbooks, notebooks, and desktop replacements - not many markets left beyond "replacebooks"

-Dan

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:59 am

plympton wrote:I think there's hope - the iPad uses IPS, and the new iPhone is supposedly going to use IPS. Also, the latest KNO tablet is said to use a dual-screen 14.1" (!!) IPS panel. The word is getting out that:
a. Your current laptop screen sucks
b. It doesn't HAVE to suck

My hunch is that SOMEONE is going to see this as an opportunity to sell a few million new laptops as the market get saturated with Smartbooks, Smartphones, netbooks, notebooks, and desktop replacements - not many markets left beyond "replacebooks"

-Dan
Couldn't agree more.

"replacebooks" - even these exist... eReaders like Kindle and such. :)
The nicest one I've seen yet is the Plastic Logic Que (not yet released).

Some new technologies such as from Pixel Qi, and Liquavista that crossover the line between e-ink and regular LCD will reportedly be showing up in both slates and netbooks. Might give you the best of both worlds in terms of being able to use it both backlit and non-backlit or outdoors.

http://www.liquavista.com/products/liquavistacolor.aspx
http://www.liliputing.com/2010/06/pixel ... rated.html

These sorts of improvements can't happen soon enough in my opinion.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:14 pm

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:03 pm

yes, I'm also very angry at the number of low-quality display panels recently.

Especially low-resolution panels, it's really hard to get a HQ low resolution panel for easy reading :cry:

More importantly, laptops dont avertise the type of panel used. I've returned 3 laptops in the last 3 years due to display and/or cpu whine problems

digitoast

Post by digitoast » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 am

pcunite wrote:No current notebook manufacture is making good displays to my knowledge anymore.
VAIO Zs are praised for their superior panels, and HP Elitebook tablet PCs have amazing viewing angles. Step into the high end Elitebooks and you can customize with the 30-bit DreamColor Panel. Should the $500 upgrade seem a bit much, just remember that their 24" desktop DreamColor retails $2,899 ;) These screens were supposedly developed with-for DreamWorks.

You get what you pay for, and one of the easiest places for manufacturers to bring costs down is in the screens.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 am

I currently have a new 15" MacBook Pro, and the IPS (anti-glare) screen is great. My previous laptop was a Sony Z, and that one was excellent, as well. An advantage of the latter is that you have the option of 1600x900 or 1920x1080 on a 13" laptop... either one is much higher than similar laptops with that screen size.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:21 pm

croddie wrote:The Dell Studio XPS 16 offers a wide gamut RGB LED display. Qualitative reviews from tech sites say it's good but it is a TN panel apparently.
It does look gorgeous; by comparison most other laptop screens look almost black and white. :)

KeepOnBumping

Re: laptop with good screens?

Post by KeepOnBumping » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:12 pm

nah... good screens are OLED screens. Any idea of when are they coming at reasonable prices?
Who is to blame that they are not already here at mass production? Samsung patents?
:(

Walthour

Post by Walthour » Fri May 06, 2011 7:40 pm

KeepOnBumping wrote:nah... good screens are OLED screens. Any idea of when are they coming at reasonable prices?
Who is to blame that they are not already here at mass production? Samsung patents?
:(

that one was excellent, as well. An advantage of the latter is that you have the option of 1600x900 or 1920x1080 on a 13" laptop... either one is much higher than similar laptops with that screen size.

TravisT

Post by TravisT » Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 am

Is the new Macbook Pro IPS screen the same technology as the Apple LED Cinema Display? I do like the new Retina Displays for the iPhone 4. Apparently they are going to be putting them in the next iPads in 2012. Hopefully they'll also put them in the Macbook Pros next year too. I've heard rumors that they are redesigning the cases too. While I'm sure there will be some good deals on the older version Macbook Pro, I'm thinking the next generation will be too tempting and I'll have to get one.