Your opinion on US gun laws under Obama.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Fayd wrote: i said your POV is completely negated because you arent a US citizen.
One world, same tourist dollar.

Plus I love to hear what the others think of US policy.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 pm

xan_user wrote:
judge56988 wrote:Perhaps it is the nature of society in America that causes the high violent crime rate. Maybe that is where peoples attention should be focused.
QFT!

Zargon wrote:
the only one that is racist is the witchdoctor one. comparing him to hitler, while wrong and offensive, simply isnt racist.
How many black people, you don't already know, did you actually ask?

Who said everyone was a vigilante?- even tho they are the ones buying more of these 'guns' along with the racists.
My point, that you keep missing, is our forefathers wouldn't call citizens with hunting for human weapons on their hips in public places a well regulated militia.

We deregulated the markets, and in the long run things got worse than ever.
If we dont regulate guns better, we will get nothing but the continued escalation of violence.
out of idle curiousity, how many black people do you talk to in mendocino?

rofl.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:54 am

The picture with President Obama's face stuck onto the body of a shaman also includes the hammer & sickle, so were they implying that African leaders are communists? If you don't think that this image was meant to denigrate African culture and black people in general and the current president in particular, then you need to look up the definition of "white privilege". I think you are blinded by your own point of view.

And what part(s) of my last post is BS?

BOT: do you know where almost all the guns used in the Juarez drug war are being purchased?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162- ... 03543.html
http://www.alternet.org/drugs/132120/me ... e_country/
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =124653688
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121836013

What does it say when Mexico has stricter gun laws than the USA, and what does it say about putting all sorts of weapons in the hands of everybody?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:48 am

WASHINGTON — Two guns used in high-profile shootings this year at the Pentagon and a Las Vegas courthouse both came from the same unlikely place: the police and court system of Memphis, Tenn. Law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that both guns were once seized in criminal cases in Memphis. The officials described how the weapons made their separate ways from an evidence vault to gun dealers and to the shooters.
Time to send the Memphis police to face terrorism charges!
Any government that supports, protects or harbours terrorists is complicit in the murder of the innocent and equally guilty of terrorist crimes.

Fayd wrote:

rofl.
every single one!

my darker roots are in Oakland...Try waving an Obama is a nazi/witchdoctor/white-face sign while walking around OakTown and you can report back on how it went.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:19 pm

xan_user wrote:
WASHINGTON — Two guns used in high-profile shootings this year at the Pentagon and a Las Vegas courthouse both came from the same unlikely place: the police and court system of Memphis, Tenn. Law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that both guns were once seized in criminal cases in Memphis. The officials described how the weapons made their separate ways from an evidence vault to gun dealers and to the shooters.
Any government that supports, protects or harbours terrorists is complicit in the murder of the innocent and equally guilty of terrorist crimes.

Fayd wrote:

rofl.
every single one!

my darker roots are in Oakland...Try waving an Obama is a nazi/witchdoctor/white-face sign while walking around OakTown and you can report back on how it went.
i dont think there's a black person in Sonoma. looking on a census data website, your city is 90% white. the other significant ethnicities are hispanic, and strangely, american indian.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sonoma-California.html

you're so deluded that you think everyone's objection to obama and his political policies is because he's black, rather than he's a bad president with horrible ideas.

thus, you're not allowed to disagree with him, because "that's racist!".

do you truly believe the shit you spew?

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:The picture with President Obama's face stuck onto the body of a shaman also includes the hammer & sickle, so were they implying that African leaders are communists? If you don't think that this image was meant to denigrate African culture and black people in general and the current president in particular, then you need to look up the definition of "white privilege". I think you are blinded by your own point of view.
it is a two pronged sign. it's comparing obama's healthcare to mysticism. IE, bullshit. the text is comparing it to communism. so what? how is that attempting to "denigrate african culture"?
And what part(s) of my last post is BS?
do you really need for me to spell it out?

"dont tax me bro" is a takeoff of "dont taze me bro"... if you cant recognize that, i don't get you. there's nothing about his sign that's saying he doesnt want to be taxed by a black president BECAUSE he's a BLACK president. i think you should look up the definition of racism.

as an aside, there's nothing wrong with being angry about the taxes being levied by THIS administration. especially since the spending of this administration is on a level completely unheard of from previous administrations.
BOT: do you know where almost all the guns used in the Juarez drug war are being purchased?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162- ... 03543.html
http://www.alternet.org/drugs/132120/me ... e_country/
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =124653688
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121836013

What does it say when Mexico has stricter gun laws than the USA, and what does it say about putting all sorts of weapons in the hands of everybody?
i keep seeing those links, and yet, the guns mexican cartels are using CAN'T be bought over the counter in the united states. if you'd think about it for 2 seconds, maybe you'd realize that.

i can't go to the store and buy full auto variants of m-16's, ak-47's, and whatnot. hell, in california i can't even get a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. and semi-auto guns made in the style of m-16's and ak-47's are also banned. a very vague law was instituted to ban those across the board.

even in areas with more lax gun controls, we still can't get full-auto variants. so where are the cartels getting their firepower? same place any other well funded group gets theirs. black market, generally manufactured either chinese or some other make.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Feder ... px?id=4592

i generally dont like linking nra pages in a discussion like this (like whoever it was who linked the HCI youtube post.. fucking retarded.) because it's a clearly biased source. but that site does have their official responses in congressional hearings, and it's worth a read if you're so interested about mexico.

personally, i say fuck em. they're too screwed up to get their own country in order. corruption is RAMPANT inside their country. no amount of help from us can fix that. especially considering how much corruption and backroom dealing obama is flooding into our own government.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Fayd wrote:
xan_user wrote:

Fayd wrote:

rofl.
every single one!

i dont think there's a black person in Sonoma. looking on a census data website, your city is 90% white. the other significant ethnicities are hispanic, and strangely, american indian.

you're so deluded that you think everyone's objection to obama and his political policies is because he's black, rather than he's a bad president with horrible ideas.

You can ask the latino and native (strange how?)community around here about those posters too, and get the basically the same answers as you would in oakland, you just might have to pick up your teeth off the side walk after you ask in the eastbay.

In 1970 my oldest friend moved out here from the bronx, they are a mixed race couple. They attended several churches and each one suggested "they might feel more comfortable" at the next one. when you see a demographic skewed to the white, you can usually blame the church fro most of it. Sonoma is a small upper class town in the county i live on the border of. but since you just looked it up you might not realize, its just full of BnB and wineries supported by illegal migrant workforce, the census does not even count. basically its like looking at Beverley Hills demographic and then saying the whole LA basin is that makeup too.

when exactly was i tooting obamas horn? the dudes killed tons of afgans to get the opium trade back up and running so they can make US money again.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:34 pm

xan_user wrote:
Fayd wrote:
xan_user wrote: Time to send the Memphis police to face terrorism charges! every single one!

You can ask the latino and native (strange how?)community around here about those posters too, and get the basically the same answers as you would in oakland, you just might have to pick up your teeth off the side walk after you ask in the eastbay.

In 1970 my oldest friend moved out here from the bronx, they are a mixed race couple. They attended several churches and each one suggested "they might feel more comfortable" at the next one. when you see a demographic skewed to the white, you can usually blame the church fro most of it. Sonoma is a small upper class town in the county i live on the border of. but since you just looked it up you might not realize, its just full of BnB and wineries supported by illegal migrant workforce, the census does not even count. basically its like looking at Beverley Hills demographic and then saying the whole LA basin is that makeup too.

when exactly was i tooting obamas horn? the dudes killed tons of afgans to get the opium trade back up and running so they can make US money again.
you continue to state that it is racist, and you have yet to describe HOW it is racist.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Fayd wrote: you have yet to describe HOW it is racist.
Why exactly do you think I wanted you to ask some brothahs & sistahs in person?

The answers to your question of 'how', would carry much more meaning in person, than any bytes I could ever type. -those that said it was not racist simply need to ask some of the darker people around them, how the human hunters wearing their semi-autos to baskin robins while waving signs like those makes them feel...

Ignoring veiled racism, is still racism. Let me know when the teabaggers and freedom fighters start calling for the 40 acres and a mule to be paid forward.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:52 pm

xan_user wrote:
Fayd wrote: you have yet to describe HOW it is racist.
Why exactly do you think I wanted you to ask some brothahs & sistahs in person?

The answers to your question of 'how', would carry much more meaning in person, than any bytes I could ever type. -those that said it was not racist simply need to ask some of the darker people around them, how the human hunters wearing their semi-autos to baskin robins while waving signs like those makes them feel...

Ignoring veiled racism, is still racism. Let me know when the teabaggers and freedom fighters start calling for the 40 acres and a mule to be paid forward.
you don't seem to get it.

asking a black person if something is racist, and having him respond in the affirmative, does not make that thing racist. i dont know exactly where your brain broke down on this simple logical path, but clearly it did.

as an aside: i highly doubt you have contact with black people in general. attempting to write in ebonics on a forum, and telling the other members of that forum to "ask a black person" are rather pathetic. you seem to be under the impression that i live in a white only neighborhood, or something of that sort. you also seem convinced that if i were to ask a black or mexican if those signs are racist, then they would attempt to beat me up. you seem convinced that those groups can't respond any way other than violently, and certainly can't conceive of the idea that that someone of those groups wont think they're racist either.

you seem convinced that "blacks" represent one group, with one singular political conciousness. you seem to see them as incapable of independent thought.

now... RE: Teabaggers: god i love the power of labels. instead of responding to their complaints directly, you label the group obscenely in order to marginalize their arguments.

and lastly: racism against whites is still racism as well.

so, to summarize this discussion for you, as i see it thus far:

you: see these racist signs!
me: how are they racist?
you: because they're racist!
me: how are they racist?
you: because they're racist! ask a black person!
me: how are they racist?...

so, again i ask, How are they racist? what about those signs is seeking to deny blacks, mexicans, or persons of any ethnicity other than the sign holder political, social, or human rights? what about those signs are saying that the sign-holder's skin color is better than all others, or is explicitly disparaging someone's skin color?

it's clear to me that you have absolutely no answer on this.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Racism is an attitude, held by people. If those people are white, and the opinions they are expressing are about blacks -- then you better ask a black person how they feel about it. Who else will have a valid opinion about racism about black people? If you ask other whites, and they say it isn't racism, that doesn't prove anything.

And if you say it is not racism, doesn't make it so. You may have the same "blind spots" that the people holding the signs do.

All three people are wearing the same blue tee shirt, so they are probably in agreement with each other, right? All three signs have different aspects of their racism, I think it is safe to say. Taken in total, the three signs held by these three people, all wearing the same shirts, are all different aspects of the same attitude.

And all of what these folks are talking about is a put down of President Obama being black (whatever that means). Nobody ever made fun of President Bush being white, did they?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Fayd wrote: .

just like the douches that fly the confederate flag and "say im not a racist."
-it's clear to me that you don't seem to get it.
and until your willing to talk and listen to those effected by racism, you never will.

I suppose being born in Africa allows me to see things in a light you, and others cannot ever see...My suggestion to you is to take a trip to the motherland as soon as possible in hopes of possibly allowing your POV to expand beyond "planet table".

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 am

wow you guys are deluded.

neilblanchard, there's nothing about those signs or those shirts that suggests that those persons hold a negative view of black people in general.

you keep suggesting that i can't understand racism because i'm white. what a ridiculously stupid idea to hold, as though "being racist" is the exclusive domain of whites.

you've continually insinuated that anyone who protests this president is racist, on no other grounds that because this president is black, anyone who protests his actions is and must be racist, rather than simply hating him as a president.

and you've yet to explain HOW those signs are racist.

here's a hint: google "define racism" as a starting point.
Last edited by Fayd on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:30 am

xan_user wrote:
Fayd wrote: .

just like the douches that fly the confederate flag and "say im not a racist."
the civil war was fought over states rights, not exclusively slavery.

multiple slaveholding states stayed with the north and were allowed to keep their slaves past the emancipation proclamation, until the ratification of the 13th amendment.

given that the civil war WAS fought over states rights, and a difference of opinion on how powerful the federal government should be, i dont think it's fair to conclude that the confederate flag is exclusively a racist symbol.

grow some thicker skin. seriously, you bitch too much.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:41 am

Oh Fayd, you're right -- its all in my head. I know nothing about human nature, and you are the expert on all things. Oh, and thanks for straightening me out on the whole Civil War thing, too.

:roll:

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:04 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Racism is an attitude, held by people. If those people are white, and the opinions they are expressing are about blacks -- then you better ask a black person how they feel about it. Who else will have a valid opinion about racism about black people? If you ask other whites, and they say it isn't racism, that doesn't prove anything.
[...]
And all of what these folks are talking about is a put down of President Obama being black (whatever that means). Nobody ever made fun of President Bush being white, did they?
+1

IMO, the issue about guns (sorry to be getting back on topic :) ) is an issue with the American Constitution in general. People take it word for word, forgetting about the context it was written in.
Also, doesn't the Constitution promote the separation between State and Chrurch ? Yet the religion of any presidential candidate is always brought up during a presidential campaign... Not very constitutional huh ? (and quite often by those same conservatives that support the "right to bear arms" because "it's in the Contitution")

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:15 am

frenchie wrote:

IMO, the issue about guns (sorry to be getting back on topic :) ) is an issue with the American Constitution in general. People take it word for word, forgetting about the context it was written in.
There's a certain book that people do that with all over the world...in fact its the misinterpretation of that book that's ruined many cultures, not 'just US'. Racist gun nuts love to quote that book...even tho the main characters in it are black.

Staying on topic,when can I get my constitutionally permitted ICBM installed on my nuclear sub?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 am

A thought occurs to me: now that corporations have been deemed to "be persons", can they also own as many guns as they can afford? If so, picture this: corporations effectively raising private armies...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 pm

I don't see how carrying a gun is a freedom.

Living in a place where I don't need a gun, that's freedom.

Added - Perhaps this is more of a reason to pack a gun lately than ever before. It's not the criminal element, it's the old saying, "No greater freedom than when you have nothing to lose." AKA "When you got nothing you got nothing to lose."

What am I talking about? Check out the effect by the masters of Wall St on the global economy.
Last edited by aristide1 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:A thought occurs to me: now that corporations have been deemed to "be persons", can they also own as many guns as they can afford? If so, picture this: corporations effectively raising private armies...
They alreadys have 2 armies:

1. Lawyers
2. Lobbyists

No need for any more.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:22 pm

aristide1 wrote:
They alreadys have 2 armies:

1. Lawyers
2. Lobbyists

No need for any more.
The trick is, how can we encourage them annihilate each other without taking us with them?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:34 pm

xan_user wrote:The trick is, how can we encourage them annihilate each other without taking us with them?
I have a C note that says neither one of them is carrying a gun. No need. Their weapons are far more devastating.

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:55 am

xan_user wrote:
frenchie wrote:

There's a certain book that people do that with all over the world...in fact its the misinterpretation of that book that's ruined many cultures, not 'just US'. Racist gun nuts love to quote that book...even tho the main characters in it are black.

Staying on topic,when can I get my constitutionally permitted ICBM installed on my nuclear sub?
the fact that you tihnk that someone saying something is racist makes it racist, makes your opinion on those matters useless dude

I can say you are hating on me becuase you are racist against whites, but that doesnt make it true now does it.

every opposition to obama is not racist

and that cbs news story posted was a bogus POS.

they showed a room of bolt action 22LR rifles and talked about all the high powered assault rifles coming in from the US

:roll:

but Im a gunnut so you already stated that I am racist

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:45 am

How have we made an assumptions about you, based on your skin color? Until you said so, I have no idea what your heritage is.

BTW, there is no such thing as race, per se -- just what skin color and other traits you got from your parents. There are no actual genetic differences.

Of course all criticism of President Obama are not racist -- I have criticisms of him based on what he has done, or not done. But, the two pictures we have been discussing are blatantly racist, period. And frankly, the things the sign holders are accusing him of are erroneous and delusional. Nazism is a very different thing from communism, and each are virtually opposite from so-called progressivism. I know some Jewish folks who were all wound up about how Obama was going to completely change all the policies toward Israel -- and they were completely unfounded, too.

Has President Obama changed any gun laws? Or, is the topic of this thread just paranoia?

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:37 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:How have we made an assumptions about you, based on your skin color? Until you said so, I have no idea what your heritage is.

BTW, there is no such thing as race, per se -- just what skin color and other traits you got from your parents. There are no actual genetic differences.

Of course all criticism of President Obama are not racist -- I have criticisms of him based on what he has done, or not done. But, the two pictures we have been discussing are blatantly racist, period. And frankly, the things the sign holders are accusing him of are erroneous and delusional. Nazism is a very different thing from communism, and each are virtually opposite from so-called progressivism. I know some Jewish folks who were all wound up about how Obama was going to completely change all the policies toward Israel -- and they were completely unfounded, too.

Has President Obama changed any gun laws? Or, is the topic of this thread just paranoia?
no, communism bears similarities to 'progressiveism', in that progressiveism is essentially socialism. I dont like the comparison to Nazism, but the comparison to communism is valid based on that premise.

and you've yet to describe how THOSE signs are racist.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 am

http://www.truthout.org/racism-homophob ... -bill57855
Demonstrators outside the U.S. Capitol, angry over the proposed health care bill, shouted "nigger" Saturday at U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia congressman and civil rights icon who was nearly beaten to death during an Alabama march in the 1960s.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:36 am

Well it looks like those hate filled idiots that that this discussion has turned into will continue to be disapointed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8579322.stm

I understand that there have been a lot of compromises, and it is far from perfect, but it is a step in the right direction for millions of Americans living in near-third world conditions in the richest country on the planet.

Socialism has made its first mark on the US for a very long time, whether you agree wth this bill or not, you cannot deny that this is fairer for all Americans.

Andy

flapane

Post by flapane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:36 am

Here we are, the House of Rep. has just said "YES" to health care.
http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2010/03 ... a-2813766/

Will the senate be as communist-socialist-nazi as Obama and the house of representaitves according to Palin supporters? :lol:

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 am

flapane wrote:Here we are, the House of Rep. has just said "YES" to health care.
"This is what change looks like."

did I call any posters here a racist?
I also think I was fairly clear that I am a gun enthusiast, with a long family history of professional firearms specialists, and safety advocates...but that doesn't change that the racially threatened, sign carrying, teabaggers fighting to carry weapons of human destruction do so because they hate we have a black man in office.

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 am

xan_user wrote: but that doesn't change that the racially threatened, sign carrying, teabaggers fighting to carry weapons of human destruction do so because they hate we have a black man in office.
some of them are yes.

Neil:

someone saying something is racist doesnt make it so. It has to convey a negative connotaion BASED ON THEIR race/ethnicity.

just because someone says something bad about obama or his policy doesnt make it racist, no matter how many uneducated morons claim that it is