HI everyone

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

misenlai

HI everyone

Post by misenlai » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 pm

HI everyone, i'm new here and new to the quiet... world... cuz i've been looking into htpc. if you have chance please also look at the thread i'm about to put on for anything advice... i'm building a new HTPC. :)

nice to meet everyone

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

haddenharley

Post by haddenharley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Hello Friends.
welcome to new world of silentpcreview enjoy yourself.
share here your problem with other member as well as if you know the solution of
other then try to help him and be a active member.
thanks.

pete6032

Post by pete6032 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:20 am

Hey,

I'm new too. Been lurking for a while and decided to register when my PSU died. Good luck with your HTPC. I'm trying to quiet mine down. :wink:

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:00 pm

welcome to SPCR!!

my HTPC consists of an older AMD690G based motherboard and 2ghz X2 running at ~1volt (65nm), I just recently upgraded the video to an AMD 5450 video card. The computer also consists of an Audigy2.

Its local storage is also only a 2.5" 80gb 5400rpm seagate. This is all powered by a 90watt Pico PSU. And is cooled by a single 120mm fan @ 700rpm.

The computers performance is reasonable for what it is, and I would have preferred to use a slightly stronger video card, but i had concerns of the Pico having issues.

Its performance issues are in the area of applying any form of post processing while using Vector Adaptive De-interlacing (which is rare). And when I am not able to use the cards hardware decoding, the CPU has not got the performance to decode 1080 content that has been downloaded.

WMC performs fine, Surfing the web is fantastic and most other tasks work well. HD Flash playback is a bit of a nail-biter until Adobe releases a stable DXVA enabled player. But its a great budget machine that sucks back only ~40 watts idle and probably 50-60 at any reasonable load.

I would like to see if my motherboard could take an athlonIIx2 or x4 without increasing power consumption to wildly. I do use the machine to rip the occasional bluray rental, and its pretty much an overnight job.

Hope this gives some ideas for ya

d

williamb

Post by williamb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm new too. Have been around for a while, so not new to the idea of silent computing, but just registered an account. Looking forward to participating.