Reserator1 V2 Compatibility

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Oaven

Reserator1 V2 Compatibility

Post by Oaven » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:45 am

So I was looking at the passively cooled Reserator1 V2 fanless watercooling system thingy-ma-jizzles and when comparing two of them against a quad-rad + dual-loop setup, it comes out to roughly the same.

The V2s can dissapate only a certain amount of heat each, which is why I thought two might be the smarter way to go. I plan on using some very low speed Sharkoon fans in the system as well so hopefully things shouldn't get too toasty.

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ Stock Speeds
Radeon 5870
4x Samsung Spinpoint F2 750GB
MCubed T-Balancer bigNG Fan Controller
1000W Corsair HX Series
Antec P193
6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 @ 2000Mhz

My question(s)...

Could the two V2s handle, and would they fit an Apogee XT WB & a full-cover 5870 block? Perhaps the EK-FC5870 as it is available here in the UK?

Links:
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product ... ts_id=1477
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =WC-052-SW

Will I need any special fittings or will I simply be able to plug the tubes that come with the V2 into these waterblocks, etc?

I've been talking about getting a WC system for a while but I honestly have no idea where I'd start. I've built my own computers before, but never a full custom WC loop... let alone one with two radiator/reservoir/reserator-ma-bobs.

Any advice is welcome.

Budget isn't my highest concern.

It's be nice to have it as quiet as reasonably possible, yet pretty well cooled, though.

Taka, all!

Oaven

Post by Oaven » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 am

Update: I guess I could always use the Corsair H50 CPU Cooler for the CPU, but I'm concerned about where/how I'd mount it (preferably without whole-drilling, etc) and whether that fan gets noisy at all.

My PC is often on for long periods of time... occasionally used for semi-intensive gaming (think COD:MW2), but mostly for mundane business-running tasks and multi-monitor net browsing. Nothing killer.

-D

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:16 pm

To be honest, you could almost get away with

ONE

v2 reserator. Yes, this is the case.

You really have to look at the necessary temperatures for the cpu and gpu. The gpu can basically take any temp, so that's out of the picture. The cpu should be below 55C on extended load.

The reserator1 can do this. the v2, etc etc all of them have the same cooling. Zalman made a new and very nifty looking universal cpu block. I really like the specs on it. I use block just prior to that block. I sometimes overclock my e8400 to 3.8ghz and my 3870 to like 12% above stock on ram and gpu. This makes the tower warm but the temps are never hot. It could easily handly my new 5770 and a DO stepping 920. A 5870 is within limits of a single zalman reserator. The recommended wattages are WAY undervalued.

Why? Because the engineering team in california told me so. They said that the Xtreme and the reserator II radiator are both not as effective at cooling as the original and its visually updated v2 tower. (the quick connects rock though! I wish I had them)

Also, I remember seeing a crossfired x1900 and single cpu setup testing the Reserator on 3dgameman's website years ago. It handled them fine.

So, 2 towers could cool a whole lot. I would figure like 450 watts conservatively. That means that it could cool two 5970's and a i7 920 if you could figure out how to effectively engineer 2 reserator towers together.

Remember water vs air rule:
1.Water always is warmer running than air
2.Water can absorb MUCH more heat than an air system
3.Total heat capacity = pure water = best
4.No one cools their ferrari engine on... air.
5.People on forums dont realize that 40 degrees C on gpu and cpu is way way way below needed specs, so it doesnt matter. Emotions about "feeling safe" are pointless in the face of tested science. Even 50 C is fine and dandy for several hours gaming hard.
6.The more water and the less additive, the less you have to worry about how good a WC system is. Reserator takes about a gallon of steam distilled water, thats huge amount of heat capacity
7. The most important one about WC, the higher the temperature of the Res tower, the more heat it will output as the temperature differenctial to the room becomes huge. So, it gets more efficient the higher the heat. Can air say that? no, it just heats up the case and causes the psu to ramp up and the mobo to catch on fire.

thats about that. This after years of playing with a res tower.

Oaven

Post by Oaven » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:33 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:To be honest, you could almost get away with

ONE

v2 reserator. Yes, this is the case.

You really have to look at the necessary temperatures for the cpu and gpu. The gpu can basically take any temp, so that's out of the picture. The cpu should be below 55C on extended load.

The reserator1 can do this. the v2, etc etc all of them have the same cooling. Zalman made a new and very nifty looking universal cpu block. I really like the specs on it. I use block just prior to that block. I sometimes overclock my e8400 to 3.8ghz and my 3870 to like 12% above stock on ram and gpu. This makes the tower warm but the temps are never hot. It could easily handly my new 5770 and a DO stepping 920. A 5870 is within limits of a single zalman reserator. The recommended wattages are WAY undervalued.

Why? Because the engineering team in california told me so. They said that the Xtreme and the reserator II radiator are both not as effective at cooling as the original and its visually updated v2 tower. (the quick connects rock though! I wish I had them)

Also, I remember seeing a crossfired x1900 and single cpu setup testing the Reserator on 3dgameman's website years ago. It handled them fine.

So, 2 towers could cool a whole lot. I would figure like 450 watts conservatively. That means that it could cool two 5970's and a i7 920 if you could figure out how to effectively engineer 2 reserator towers together.

Remember water vs air rule:
1.Water always is warmer running than air
2.Water can absorb MUCH more heat than an air system
3.Total heat capacity = pure water = best
4.No one cools their ferrari engine on... air.
5.People on forums dont realize that 40 degrees C on gpu and cpu is way way way below needed specs, so it doesnt matter. Emotions about "feeling safe" are pointless in the face of tested science. Even 50 C is fine and dandy for several hours gaming hard.
6.The more water and the less additive, the less you have to worry about how good a WC system is. Reserator takes about a gallon of steam distilled water, thats huge amount of heat capacity
7. The most important one about WC, the higher the temperature of the Res tower, the more heat it will output as the temperature differenctial to the room becomes huge. So, it gets more efficient the higher the heat. Can air say that? no, it just heats up the case and causes the psu to ramp up and the mobo to catch on fire.

thats about that. This after years of playing with a res tower.
Thing is, the GPU can't take an unlimited amount of heat. Anything above 70C (with my current stock fan) causes it do brown-line of death. Like a BSOD. But stripey-vertical badness. And more doom, than death.

Unless I bump the fans up to 90% it suicides, and at 90% I have to wear headphones whilst playing games.

In short, I need air cooling - and I'd prefer not to risk just one Reserator.

My question... would a full waterblock fit with the tubes that the Reserator ships with? I know there are all sorts of diameters and fittings and such and I'm kinda concerned. Cheers!

-D

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:10 pm

It is impossible for the water to reach anything near 60 C ever.

This is not Air, this is WC. You will notice very little info on the net about WC setups. reason is that it is a permanent solution that needs not further conversation. It cools several times better than air, and air is adequate for a cooling solution. Once you get one setup, youll see how comps were just meant for it. You probably wont even post on here much ever aside from hardrive and psu recommendations.

I dont think it could possibly hit more than 55C on load no matter what you did. I have a LOT of experience and real info on the Res1. From coolant formulas to what it can cool realistically and with longevity.

I have a good example of cooling ability as we speak. I have my 3870 disconnected and just my e8400 on the loop. I am testing my xfx 5770 to see if it works for 2 weeks before I bother ripping off the cooler and putting a block on it. My res1 tower on load never gets WARM. It stays at room temperature, I dont even know it is doing anything. It needs like 150 watts to start warming up. That is the 5870 just about, right? If you go 2 towers, youll be super happy and could cool a lot of junk with that. If I was you, I would look into doing the northbridge and cpu in one loop. The northbridge gets kinda hot on 775 and up. There wont be much air movement anymore in the case and it gets a bit hot in a disturbing sort of way. I am not putting it in the loop as I have an Enzotech huge copper block on it that is adequate. I'm too lazy to attach a 3rd item in the loop.

I have not seen a WC setup that cannot attach with larger hoses. There are a few fruity looking setups with thin clear hoses. Those are few and far between. The Res1 has 2-3 hose types it can ship with depending on the year it was made. All of them are different diameters and all fit all parts. I like to use the largest diameter possible and call it a day.

Take this for an example:

my old 3870 ran at mid 70's on load with standard shroud and a cold blown out case that was effecient. With the Res1 and block it was running on load at like 43C. It dropped 30 Degrees Celsius!! That is how crappy stock air is.

philje123

Post by philje123 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:54 am

I have two reserators in my set up at the moment.

On V1 and one V2 with just one pump in the V2.

I have a Q6600 and an 8800GTX being cooled by it and it does bloody well.

My CPU sits at 35c idle and gets up to 45-50c load.

The GPU sits at 45c idle and and gets to around 55-60c under load.

I only overclock the GPU slightly while playing games btw.

I have just two fans in my case (including the PSU fan) and it rund incredibly quiet.

I would suggest getting shut of the quick release connections on the V2 straight away though! They are VERY restrictive epspecially with the pump being fairly weak anyway.

Just think ahead when choosing your WB's though as mixing different metals in the loop can have adverse affects. Unless you are going to run the two reserators in two seperate loops for the CPU and GPU.

I use the WB that came with the V2 and it's very good actually (ZM-WB5).

I wouldn't recomend the Zalman coolant though... it gunks up a lot in my set up and I will be changing it for something else after the new year!

Here she is... just in the process of upgrading the mobo so no internal shots yet.

Image[/img]

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:42 am

yes, this is the best way to run things for simplicity sake. I like it :)

Oaven

Post by Oaven » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:56 am

Excellent - Two Reserators it is. And yeah... I'd be planning to keep the CPU in a separate loop to the GPU... and as for northbridge cooling, on the P6T6 WS, the southbridge and the northbridge are one and the same - and the standard heatsink is legendary.

However, to cool 'em with water, I'd need to buy a unique WB from... if memory serves... Koolance (and directly from them may I add). Not totally sure I CBA doing that.

I really don't want to screw up water cooling. Anyone know of a step-by-step DETAILED guide, that covers the whole connections/tubing shizzam? I'm so afraid it'll all look great and sealed, I'll turn it on, and it'll soak my PC. xD

-D

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Reserator is anodized aluminum. Try and stick with anodized aluminum.

Use Poland Spring steam distilled water.

use a half bottle or a bit less of Water Wetter from Redline. This stuff blocks all algae and whatever from growing, it truly lubricates the pump for many years of silence, it also allows for the highest water concentration possible. The more pure water you run the much better the cooling capacity is.

Run the system for a several hours with pieces of paper everwhere to see if something drips. Chances are like 0% as the fittings are designed for high pressure and only are doing dinky pressure. Just cut the pipes straight and clean, fit them over the nozzles fully, clamp stuff in the middle of the nozzle not at the very ends, really, its just about fool proof.

there is no step by step guide. You dont need to bleed air as its not a perfectly sealed system. Just make sure the water is room temperature not cold. You will cause condensation on the motherboard!!!

All of the other WC setups need guides, zalman does not at all. It is easier than installing an air sytem, part wise. Cutting tubing is really annoying, I use a brand new straight razor blade and a cutting board to make clean cuts by chopping not slicing, pushing down directly. The blocks are easy to do, same as air cooling but no tiny parts, just one big hunk.

I recommend arctic silver ceramique.

philje123

Post by philje123 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:48 pm

If the current cooling solution on the motherboard is good then I would leave it be. Suppose you want to keep as much heat out of the water system as possible.

I've been thinking about getting a second pump and separating it into two loops. One for CPU and one for the GPU.

It would increase the cooling capacity as there would be greater water pressure in the two systems and also stop the very hot GPU from warming up the CPU and vise versa.

Phil

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:14 pm

the water will never go over ~43 C ever. This is fine for any cpu or gpu on load. I am talking a smoking steaming crappy p4 3.4 ghz type of system. Nothing modern has to worry about this. Water is water and doesnt talk to air.

You can put your hand in 43 C water without burning it. An electronic can take twice the beating of skin! Body temperature is 37 C

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Body temp is about 37 °C, skin temp is about 28 °C.
In a shower, anything over 37 °C, perhaps 38 °C, you'll be screaming your lungs out. You may not get burns but this is too hot for the human body.
Fingers might be another story, not sure.

philje123

Post by philje123 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:48 am

Update on my watercooling system.

Since installing a new motherboard my CPU temps have dropped a fair bit. It used to idle rock solid at 35c and now idles at 28c. The only thing I can think is that the WB wasn't seated on the CPU properly before.

The GPU temps have stayed exactly the same.

I'm not going to bother with splitting the system into a dual loop but I may add some water blocks to the motherboard and cool that with it.

The water in mine gets warm up no where near hot even after hours of load on the CPU/GPU and the towers themselves get warm to the touch but absolutely no where near hot! I doubt the water is even getting up to 30c. Will try and measure it someone.

philje123

Second Update

Post by philje123 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:59 am

Right here's another update.

Just to give you an idea of the cooling capacity of two of these towers:

I now have the NB and SB of my EVGA 780i SLI motherboard cooled along with the Q6600 and 8800GTX and all with one standard pump (Eheim 300).

The temps are as follows:

Idle (sat on idle for 2+ hours):

CPU- 36c
GPU- 47c
NB- 35c
SB- 39c (was 70c before at idle! Ouch!)

I havn't had chance to do some full load readings yet but expect good results judging by a 30 min test running Prime 95 and Furmark.

Like I say I am just using the standard (pretty weak) Eheim 300 pump that came with the reserator 1 V2 and the pressure is pretty pathetic to be honest but I plant to upgrade this to the 600 version which should improve thing greatly.

I have modded the towers so that a pipe takes the water to the top of the tower as it comes in rather than just flowing straight to the pump.

I have also removed the fan that I had in the case and so there is just the fan in the PSU, the HDD (in a scythe quiet drive) and the pump in the res making noise (all VERY quiet).

These things really do have a lot of capacity to cool. I am even considering getting a third or even fourth (If I can come across another bargain again) and 2 more 8800GTX's and running a tripple SLI setup!

I would obviously also need to upgrade the PSU to something 1000+ watt I think!

Phil

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 am

are you using zalman's 8800 gt blocks?

I wish they would make more for the 5800 and 5700 series.

I would even go up to a 5850 if they made one for that and not my 5770. alas, they seem to have puttered out in the area of vga blocks.

Yeah, the towers cool a whole lot. MORE than many actively cooled wc systems that cost much more, leak more, have resevoirs within the case, etc.

philje123

Post by philje123 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:17 am

Hi.

Yes I am using a Zalman ZM-GWB 8800 GTX/Ultra water block.

It is very impressive to look at I think and it pretty huge as it covers the whole card to cool the memory etc.

It certainly does a damn good job at cooling the thing.

Shame they don't do them for more cards as they are a good cooler and it was a pretty reasonable price too.

Just got the PC running good and now my memory appears to have packed up! Good job for OCZ's Lifetime Warranty!

Phil

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:34 am

philje123 wrote:I'm not going to bother with splitting the system into a dual loop ...
Smart choice! Since you rarely put full load on the entire system at once, but rather one or two components at a time only, keeping it in one loop means that you'll always have maximum cooling where it's most needed!

Cheers
Olle

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Just a tip: eheim 600 vs 300 almost had no difference in a big test. it was an old test and I am unsure of the source. the res unit is 5+ years old now. Flow helps for systems without a lot of water % and quantity.

Mihnea1231

Post by Mihnea1231 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:20 am

My priority is NOT low temperature and performance for overcloking, but LOW NOISE.

Do you think Reserator can handle good enough the cooling of these components without any overclooking, just to keep working ?

-Intel core duo 3.0 ghz
-Norht bridge
-ATI Radeon HD3850 (don't have it yet i am planning to buy it since Zalman sell a -VGA block compatible for it)
-2 case noctua 120 fans on popsite side od the case, at 600 rpm (do you think i can turn them off ???????, or turn just one of them od ????)
-low heat power suppply with fan automatically triggered only when heat rise

Thanx

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Sorry to double post, but I think my question may have been better asked here:

"I am considering a WC loop for my Phenom 965 and 4870.

I know the reserator will not cope with both in the same loop, and I don't want to buy 2.

However, would the reserator pump be able to handle a 2nd internal radiator with 2 slow speed fans (using 2 of my S-Flex Es so not adding any noise to the current setup)?

I could then have the loop something like this:

Reserator -> CPU block -> Radiator -> GPU/RAM -> Reserator

I know I could just buy a custom loop, but I like the idea of the reserator, and if my above idea works I can get the basic kit now and add the GPU side of things later.

So would a reserator cool a stock (undervolted to 1.375v) Phenom 965 C2, and then would the pump handle a second radiator like a swiftech MCR220?

I can find the following info so far:
Integrated Water Pump : 5 W, Qmax 300 l/h
Maximum Lift : 0.5 m

But don't know what the means!"