Fixing shuriken HSF to Dell Inspiron 530s - push pin v bolts

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pondlife

Fixing shuriken HSF to Dell Inspiron 530s - push pin v bolts

Post by Pondlife » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:05 am

I've got a Dell Inspiron 530s that I use occasionally, and I'm trying to reduce the noise from the CPU fan. The system has a slim-line case with a Core2 duo CPU with LGA 775 socket.

I've purchased a shuriken rev B HSF, which is low enough to fit inside the slim case, but I've found the shuriken uses push pins to mount on LGA 775, whereas the Dell has bolts that go through the motherboard into a metal plate on the back.

I think I have two options: remove the back plate and use the push pins, or replace the push pins on the shuriken brackets with bolts. I'm tending towards the latter solution because I don't think it will be easy to get the plate off the back of the motherboard, and bolts look like a more robust solution than push pins.

I've seen bolt-through kits which include the back plate and four bolts, and I'm wondering if that would work. My questions are: are the bolt sizes standard, so will a third-party bolt-through kit fit the threads on my Dell motherboard; and are there any other pitfalls with replacing push pins with bolts?

Pondlife

Post by Pondlife » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:23 am

Update: I ended up fixing the shiriken HSF to the motherboard using standard M3 bolts and washers. I removed the push-pins from the heatsink mounting brackets, fixed the brackets to the heatsink and bolted it onto the motherboard.

So far it's working fine, and the system is much quieter. But now the CPU fan noise is gone, I can hear the noise from the graphics card - an ATI Radeon HD 2400. So that's the next thing I'll be looking at.