I have landed on these forums in my search for a compact and silent desktop PC to replace my Lenovo T61 laptop at home. But since I have become lazy with the years and I do not wish to assemble it myself, I have ended up considering the new Dell Optiplex 980. I am writing to request feedback from the experts in the room on the technical specs listed by Dell: is this machine silent or is it not?
Here are the specs for the Optiplex 980 SFF I am interested in (page 50):
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/pr ... -guide.pdf
Note that the EcoKit configuration listed by Dell is supposed to reduce noise levels. This is an interesting new customization option offered by Dell. This is what they have to say about it:
"The DellTM OptiPlexTM 980 offers unique configurations that can improve energy efficiency and reduce overall acoustical levels while at the same time increasing the amount of recycled content used in the system. Comparison testing shows that an OptiPlex 980 with the EcoKit option produces 50% less noise than an industry competing comparable system.
What enables the Dell EcoKit?
* High-performance efficient heat sink, enabling thermals to be optimized
* Fan assemblies molded out of BFR/CFR/PVC-Free plastics and contains 69% Post Consumed Recycled Content
* Custom BIOS to optimize fan curve
* Unique hardware configuration options to help reduce acoustical noise
* Dual Core Processors
* 90% Efficient Power Supply (active PFC, wide-ranging)
* 2.5" form factor energy efficient mobile hard drives
* IntelÂ® CoreTM 2 Duo processors (dual-core)
* Integrated graphics
* 4GB or less of system memory"
I am considering one of these configurations, if I am able to forego the quad-core temptation. Also, quad-core configurations require purchasing a discrete graphics card from Dell, but they do not list if these cards are passively cooled or not (although the Radeon 3550 and 4550 options probably are).
By the way, my Lenovo T61 has a rated sound emission of 36db, and I am perfectly happy with it in my room.
Thoughts, feedback, impressions most welcome!