Antec Fusion - replace display or swap for NSK 2480 bezel?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

potsy

Antec Fusion - replace display or swap for NSK 2480 bezel?

Post by potsy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm using an Antec Fusion case. Last time I updated my system I didn't bother installing the drivers for the display on the front because I didn't find it useful. Now I'm thinking I'd like to use that space to install a multi card reader. But it looks like in order to use the 5.25 bay a screen in front of the display would need to be removed. Has anybody tried to do this and anyone have any tips?

Alternatively, I could track down a front bezel for an NSK2480 and swap them. It looks like they'd fit. Then I wouldn't have a volume knob (which, strangely, I do sometimes use) or a firewire port at the front, but I can live with that. Anyone interested in a straight swap?

Cheers
Potsy

Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:43 pm

I don't think it would be too hard to pop out the acrylic. It looks like it just has some epoxy on the edges (at least on the Fusion Max which is what I have). The screen itself is simply screwed onto the front panel with 4-5 screws. You would need to remove the wires from the board which connect the knob and possibly some other front panel devices, but that shouldn't be too bad once you remove the board with the display on it (I believe they all use pin connectors, so no different then disconnecting most wires in a PC).

potsy

Post by potsy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Yeah, I had a look and came to the same conclusion. The hole in the bezel, in which the screen sits, is quite a bit smaller than the acrylic screen because there's a ledge for the screen to sit on, so I've found a 3.5" reader that will fit in ok. It'll look a bit odd, but I don't mind much. I'll have to get/make a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter.

Or I could get the dremel out and cut away rest of the hole in the bezel so it's more like a standard 5.5" opening. But I'm not sure I've got the time & energy.

Anyway, I'll get round to one of those options, just not for a little while yet!

Thanks heaps,
Potsy