Intel D510M0 Motherboard: Atom 2.0

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MoJo

Post by MoJo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 am

namaku0, I have set it up and tested it. Unfortunately there is no way to make the on-board video the primary one in the BIOS. Once booted to Windows it can be done, but the BIOS will always show on a PCI graphics card if one is attached.

namaku0

Post by namaku0 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:55 am

Thank you very much MoJo. As long as I can use both GPUs for dual-display
then this is a good news for me.

chanman

Post by chanman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Looking at what NCIX is selling right now...

D510 mobo: $82.95
1 x 2 GB Kingston DDR2 RAM: $55.99
Antec ISK300-65: $73.54
OCZ Onyx 32 GB SSD: $94.99
Subtotal: $307.47

7% PST: $21.52
5% GST: $15.37

Total: $344.36 for a silent Atom.

Too bad I already built a 330/MI-100 last year, or I would be tempted.

Okay, I lie. I'm still tempted. :D

onlinespending

Post by onlinespending » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 am

HFat wrote:
Jay_S wrote:I didn't realise the Intel Atoms don't have any frequency scaling - the D510 is fixed at 1.66GHz.
With 2.6.33, cpufreq seemed to be able lower speeds but I don't know if that did anything. The cores don't use much power anyway.
Yeah I was a bit miffed by the fact that an Atom processor, based on the mobile line of CPUs, does not offer frequency and voltage scaling. Wish there was a way around this, because the power numbers I was getting from a Zotac D510 board with just a single HDD and picoPSU was around 39W. You know this thing could get even lower if given the chance.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 am

onlinespending wrote:because the power numbers I was getting from a Zotac D510 board with just a single HDD and picoPSU was around 39W.
What? List the specs of the build in more detail. My D510MO based system idles at 15W.

onlinespending

Post by onlinespending » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Jay_S wrote:
onlinespending wrote:because the power numbers I was getting from a Zotac D510 board with just a single HDD and picoPSU was around 39W.
What? List the specs of the build in more detail. My D510MO based system idles at 15W.
Lucky you! I'm jealous. Well, I measured the AC power of the board with virtually everything disconnected from it (no hard-drive, no optical drive, nothing). Just one stick of DDR2 memory. Well, even that consumes 25W. So it appears your board is just much more efficient. I am using the Zotac NM10-B-E which is actually a DTX board (they also have a mini-ITX version). It is virtually the same with the exception of containing an additional PCI-e slot and having an on-board RAID controller. Certainly that may account for a couple more Watts, but certainly not the 10+ Watts my board is consuming over the Intel board. I would love to get the Intel board, but I really need a PCIe slot.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 am

onlinespending wrote:I am using the Zotac NM10-B-E
This board?
http://www.zotac.com/httpdocs/brochures ... ifi_v1.pdf
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=c ... 26&lang=en

Zotac's listed specs:
  • Chipset: Intel NM10 Express
  • CPU: Intel Atom D510 1.66 GHz
  • Expansion Slots
    • 1 x PCI Express x16 (single lane)
    • 1 x PCI Express x1
    • 1 x Mini PCI Express (occupied by WiFi 802.11n/g/b module)
  • Audio
    • Analog 5.1-channel High-Definition Audio
    • Digital Optical & Coaxial S/PDIF outputs
  • Ports
    • HDMI
    • 2 x SATA 3.0Gb/s
    • 4 x SATA 3.0Gb/s w/RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5
    • 1 x eSATA 3.0Gb/s
    • 10 x USB 2.0
Per Intel's NM10 datasheet (PDF), the NM10:
  • Supports only 2 sata ports
  • Supports 8 USB ports
  • Doesn't appear to support digital audio outputs (can't tell)
  • Has only 4 PCIe lanes (Zotac works around this with it's 1x in 16x slot)
  • Offers no RAID
Per Intel's docs for the D500 series Atom CPUs, I don't see HDMI support anywhere either.

Many of those features are not supported by the NM10 chipset or the CPU/GPU, so there has to be some additional circuitry on the Zotac board. Zotact makes no mention of it. Basically I don't understand how your Zotac works!

onlinespending

Post by onlinespending » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:46 am

Jay_S wrote:
onlinespending wrote:I am using the Zotac NM10-B-E
This board?
http://www.zotac.com/httpdocs/brochures ... ifi_v1.pdf
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=c ... 26&lang=en

Many of those features are not supported by the NM10 chipset or the CPU/GPU, so there has to be some additional circuitry on the Zotac board. Zotact makes no mention of it. Basically I don't understand how your Zotac works!
Yup, that's the one. Certainly they do have some additional circuitry, perhaps accounting for the disparity. I may return it and opt for the Intel board as long as I can find a standard PCI graphics card with HDMI out.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 am

onlinespending wrote:I may return it and opt for the Intel board as long as I can find a standard PCI graphics card with HDMI out.
Would DVI (electrically equivalent) work in your situation? DVI/HDMI cables are cheap (Monoprice.com).

SPARKLE SFPC84GS512U2LP GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814187042 ($45 - yikes!!)

But, it's the "good" 8400GS (G98 core; accelerated decoding for all video codecs):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p= ... post283662

HFat

Post by HFat » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:25 am

HFat wrote:the flashy Asus D510 board is ... more expensive. Maybe I should buy one and see how passive cooling works with that heatsink.
Well, its price has dropped around here. Here's how the AT5NM10-I compares to the D510MO then:
-bigger, mean-looking heatsink which covers the NM10 chip as well as the CPU
-higher reported CPU temperatures
-much lower reported MB temperatures
-doesn't work too well when positionned horizontally
The problem with interpreting the reported temperatures is that I doubt the sensors are located in equivalent positions and the meaning of the readings is somewhat elusive (to me anyway). In spite of the low MB temperatures reported by the Asus, a lot of components were hot enough to hurt. In horizontal operation (with an open case so that I could touch the electronics), the heasink itself got suspicously hot under load in spite of moderate temperatures being reported (60 C for the CPU).
It's an improvement over the stock D510MO in some respects but I'm not crazy about the thermals of the Asus (with a sample size of 1, mind you). I don't mind it too much that the CPU reports >70C when the D510MO's readings only reach 50C in the same situation. These CPUs are supposed to get hot. But, while the reported MB temperatures are good (in contrast to the D510MO's) my fingers tell me something somewhat different.
If you believe that the hot NM10 chip deserves a heatsink and you don't want to fit one yourself, the Asus board might be a good choice. Just make sure it's going to be positioned vertically.
The above applies to fanless operation obviously.

gruntly69

Re: Intel D510M0 Motherboard: Atom 2.0

Post by gruntly69 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi all,

First post, I have 1 of these puppies & do want to get a better vid card for the pci-e slot to support HDMI out & also to make video encoding faster!

What is the best recommend for price video card is it the 8400(512 memory)?

What is the maximum speed & size of ram I can put in it, A.T.M. it has the kingston 800(2g) & does it make for better performance to have matched ram using the 2 slots?

Will I overheat the sucker by ramping it up too much?

Thanks Grant

HFat

Post by HFat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:53 pm

If you're not in a hurry, wait for the updated boards or at least a review of the new Atom CPUs which have just been officially released. They've got a better GPU and the boards will have digital video output if I'm not mistaken.
Alternatively, get Zotac's fanless Zacate board (assuming the included GPU would be sufficent for your needs and decent drivers for your OS exist).

It's a cheap but convenient board one can always find an alternative use for (backup NAS and so on). I wouldn't invest too much in it. Unless no onboard GPU is enough, get another board.

gruntly69

Post by gruntly69 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:03 pm

O.k. I'm patient & can wait!

Do you have any links to look at what's been released & possibly available soon?

Speeds & spec's?

Thanks Grant

gruntly69

Post by gruntly69 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:16 pm

I noticed someone tried posting a reply but got withdrawn?

Is this the new release in question;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4884/inte ... processors

If so looks good & nice prices too, hopefully they get the directX issues sorted out!

Thanks Grant

HFat

Post by HFat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Here's the first board I've seen specs for (not available yet): http://www.norco-group.com/product/Mini ... -6930.html
Announcements and the availability of decent fanless D2700 boards at a decent price are very different things unfortunately. Time will tell.
But according to the specs above, a decent digital video resolution seems to be supported, something Intel has not offered with Atoms until now.
I don't know if the new GPU will address your other problem with the D510MO however.