L.N.A/U.L.N.A cable: where can i buy some ?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

themaster1

L.N.A/U.L.N.A cable: where can i buy some ?

Post by themaster1 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm

I got two of them currently which were provided with the cpu heatsink (Noctua) but i miss at least two so i searched on google in order to find a shop but i can't find anything!

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Thu May 20, 2010 5:46 pm

They're really just a cable with an in line resistor. You could grab some here, or look on ebay.

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks Kaydat. I like how you describe it as if it has no purpose / useless. The resistor makes a big difference between a noisy fan and a noiseless one in my experience.

Take a fan of say 1500-2000 rpm (i tested one recently) real noisy.You first put a lna cable down the line and then a fan controller this way you can reach the 600 rpm mark which is synonymous of noiseless. Word to the wise

Of course you could buy a new fan with a max rpm of about 900rpm ..but that's not the same price...

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Fri May 21, 2010 1:19 am

No, not saying they're useless. As a matter of fact, I'm using four of them in my computer right now. It's just that they're very simple, and the acronyms are just fancy names Noctua gave to a cable with a resistor. Depending on your fans and motherboard, you can achieve the same thing with SpeedFan, and control your fans via software. Or you could do a voltmod to 5 or 7 volts. Plenty of options. And the link I gave you, DX, has five for $2.17, shipped worldwide. Not sure what resistor value they use there though.
But hey, with all these options at your fingertips, what more could you want? =]

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am

Here is some feedback to my Ultra Low Noise cable quest:

I received them today, (ordered 7-10 days ago on dealextreme.com) 2 sets of 5 cables ( total :10 cables) in other words i have plenty of them in reserve for the future. Price: 4.34 USD (free shipping) sent to france indeed where i reside. Conclusion: it's a bargain ! Go ahead guys buy some if needed that's the first step to quiet down your Fans.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:26 pm

I usually prefer using the 5V molex mod. Much cheaper than getting those cables + resistors (mostly because 3-pin to molex adapters are usually bundled with the fans already). Plus with the 3-pin cable + resistor, you are basically limited in number of fans depending on how many motherboard fan headers you have.

If you plan on getting 3 pin cable + resistor and a 3-pin to molex adapter, might as well do the molex 5v mod!

Luke M

Post by Luke M » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Zenphic wrote:I usually prefer using the 5V molex mod.
Isn't it a problem that 5V is below the minimum start voltage for most fans? Not that it won't usually work, but it's out of spec and may not be 100% reliable.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:11 pm

Using a resistor wastes energy and gives of heat. Not much of course but using resistors to slow down a fan is not optimal. I usually try to avoid it. As previous posters have pointed out, there are other ways.

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Heat? Lol, what 1 microwatt? (or + 0.1 °C should i say) Give me a break

What i can say though is i can hear the difference between a full spining fan & a fan spining at half its speed...food for thought.

Not to mention the 5V trick is not reliable as pointed out.The last thing i want is a fan not spining in a hot summer sunny day that one can feel in southern fr.

lna cable + rheobus = that's what i like
Last edited by themaster1 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:45 pm

themaster1 wrote:Heat? Lol, what 1 microwatt? (or + 0.1 °C should i say) Give me a break
Look, I know it's an insignificant amount. That's not my point. It's an ugly hack, simple as that.
It's a solution, it works, it works just fine. But it lacks finesse and style dammit! :twisted: :wink:

You use four of these in your system? There are most probably a way to set up the cooling in your system so that you wouldn't had to buy the resistors. Now if you already have your system set up the way you like it it's not really worth the hassle of redo the whole thing. I'm just saying that imho there are usually better solutions than these resistors.