Scythe Grand Kama Cross CPU Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Scythe Grand Kama Cross CPU Cooler

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun May 23, 2010 1:05 pm

bozar

Post by bozar » Tue May 25, 2010 1:01 am

Excellent review as always. Nice to see that top-down coolers are being improved besides Tower-shaped coolers.

Maybe a suitable substitute for my Zalman 7000-Cu when I upgrade my reserve rig.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:04 am

Our Nexus 120 mm reference fan is apparently too small to be as effective as the stock 140mm fan, allowing the CPU to get 4°C hotter at 12V/16 dBA than the stock fan at 9V/17 dBA.
This is the kind of thing I had in mind when I first saw the Ninja Mini with a 80mm stock fan instead of a 92mm fan.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Wed May 26, 2010 12:34 pm

so, given that the hypothesis is that top down coolers cool the motherboard/ VRM components more effectively, why no temperature readings of those components? Although to make it a robust comparison with tower coolers this would have to be done in a case with a rear fan at constant speed, given that this also contributes to cooling those components.

There's enough anecdotal evidence out there that top down coolers don't cool the MB any better and in some cases actually heat it up (afterall, it's not cool air that's being blown onto them). Given that and the fact that top down coolers are almost always inferior in cooling the CPU than tower coolers, I think this would be a good "hypothesis" to test properly.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:20 pm

I thought the heatsink test procedure on SPCR was open bench?

If so there isn't a normal airflow and every case+casefans combination changes those temps.

yep
It has also been argued that the platform should be enclosed to simulate in-system conditions. If so, other considerations have to be made. What type of enclosure? One with the power supply at the bottom or top? Where should the fan placements and ventilation points be located and what size? Should we add a system fan, and if so, which one, and set at what speed? Going this route may lead to realistic results, but for only one case layout. Also, any extra variables we introduce would benefit some heatsinks while being a detriment to others. For a fair test of heatsink efficiency, we need to eliminate as many performance-affecting variables as possible. For isolating the heatsink, our original, open system setup seems optimal.

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed May 26, 2010 4:57 pm

thanks for the review.

if this cooler fits in a gd05, i want one!

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Wed May 26, 2010 5:27 pm

danimal wrote:if this cooler fits in a gd05, i want one!
Unfortunately, it seems a bit too tall for that.