Replacement pumps for Reserator 1 Plus

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mikademus

Replacement pumps for Reserator 1 Plus

Post by Mikademus » Sun May 30, 2010 7:07 am

I have a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus, which has worked extremely well over the years. However, the pump has gotten noisy and now produces a sound with a of a quality somewhere between churning and bubbling. Even though the cooling is still good, the sound is distracting and I am thinking of replacing the pump.

However, I have no knowledge about water pumps. I want a good, reliable and quiet pump that works with the Reserator 1 Plus. Can someone here tell me about what options that exists today?

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 30, 2010 7:56 am

MCP 350/355 are really relieable pumps.

Mikademus

Post by Mikademus » Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks for the fast reply! :)

We're talking about these pumps, and they will fit into the Reserator 1 tower, right?

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp350.asp
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp355.asp

They're listed as 24--26 and 30--32 dBA, respectively; anyone who knows how loud they're in relation to the pump shipped with the Reserator? Also, they have an temperature envelope topping at 60C, which seems like a temperature possible to achieve, is it dangerous to exceed this?

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 30, 2010 10:04 am

Mikademus wrote:Thanks for the fast reply! :)

We're talking about these pumps, and they will fit into the Reserator 1 tower, right?

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp350.asp
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp355.asp

They're listed as 24--26 and 30--32 dBA, respectively; anyone who knows how loud they're in relation to the pump shipped with the Reserator? Also, they have an temperature envelope topping at 60C, which seems like a temperature possible to achieve, is it dangerous to exceed this?
Yep i was meaning those pumps.

Installed a watercooling system for a friend last wenesday with a 355 pump (i dont watercool but he needed help with mounting the blocks and filling).

Those pumps are inaudible at a lower rpm/voltage (7v is enough to let the pump silently run ).

Also, 60 degrees for a short while (a few hours) isnt a problem. Constantly 60 degrees is a problem.

These pumps are proven in many many watercooling systems (along with the D5 which is a bit overkill in your situation). So i wouldnt worry.

Mikademus

Post by Mikademus » Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Great! Thanks a bunch for the fast and good answers! :)

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun May 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Are you sure you can replace the Reserator pump with just any pump? It's built into the "colossus", right?

ascl

Post by ascl » Sun May 30, 2010 1:41 pm

I'll second either the MCP350 or MCP655 vario. The 655 is physically larger so may cause some problems with placement, but allows changing the speed without requiring a beefy fan controller.

Whichever one you get I'd suggest an after market top, both for performance and noise reasons.

Mikademus

Post by Mikademus » Sun May 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Strid, it is inside the cooling tower, but is detachable. Zelman even provides schematics for replacing the pump.

Ascl, I'm sorry to be a newb, but I'm not certain what an "after market top" is? Is it the screw-on lid for the tower?

ascl

Post by ascl » Sun May 30, 2010 2:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN0LDjHZ4NQ

This video (not me, no relation, just random vid I googled) shows replacing the top of a MCP655 (D5) pump. Its literally a replacement for the top part of the pump.

In the case of the MCP350/355 it adds a bunch of performance (http://martin.skinneelabs.com/DDC32PumpTopTesting.html), due to what is considered a design flaw in the stock top.

The MCP655 doesn't benefit so much in performance from a replacement top, but it does seem to reduce the noise nicely (I am very happy with the top on my MCP655!). D5 top comparison is here: http://skinneelabs.com/d5-tops.html

I have no idea if either of these pumps will fit inside the reservator... but dimensions are available on the swiftech site, and I am sure the pumps can be fitted inside the case as well if need be.

EDIT: No need to apologise, these forums are for asking questions!

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 30, 2010 11:37 pm

I would say, get the MCP350 or 355. A D5 is pretty much overkill because the tubing of the reserator is too small for the flow the D5 can generate.

MCP350 will probably need somekind of top because the inlet of the original pump is on the side. You'lll need a inlet on the top (judging from google images of the original pump).

Mikademus

Post by Mikademus » Mon May 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for the advice. I had a suspicion the 655 might be overkill since both the 350 and 355 are rated at higher pressure and flow than the original one shipped with the Reserator, and that one managed to hold my rig at a constant 40C.

Also, very good advice about the inlet positions, tied well in with ascl's about performance gains from other tops!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 pm

the eheim 300 that goes in the machine lasts often for more than 4-5 years.

People nag me on here for it, but using pure steam distilled water from a supermarket and like 3-4% water Wetter from redline keeps a pumps SMOOTH and well lubricated for a super long time.

I havent thought about replacing my pump and I have a reserator 1 v1 running 24/7 on a gaming system. 5770 and a e8400 currently.

Mikademus

Post by Mikademus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:22 am

Hmm, that's interesting! Do you know if it is possible to clean or otherwise fix a pump to get rid of the noise rather than replacing it?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:33 am

I havent been on in a while....

It is not possible as far as I know to fix a pump. I believe the only reasons a pump normally stops working is on account of part wear and tear. Eheim 300 are cheap cheap. Water pumps utilize the surrounding water to act as lubrication, it is an open system in many ways.