F@H on a dual boot

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wussboy

F@H on a dual boot

Post by wussboy » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:04 pm

Greets. I put a dual boot on my computer, and everything worked fine with F@H folding the same WU in both boots. But, when I de-activated the NIC in one of the boots, F@H suddenly stopped working. Oddly, Dtemp also stopped working. Both work fine in the boot with the NIC.

WinXP Pro
AMD 800

Any ideas? I finally got my computer quiet enough to fold all night, but I don't have access to the internet all the time anymore. It is killing me that all this folding time is going to waste. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
wussboy

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:32 pm

Damn. No one has any ideas on this? I'll seriously cry thinking about all those wasted cycles.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:38 pm

That is wierd. What are you dual booting into? WinXP Pro for both? That'd be... different.

Do you have the dual boot set up to specifically disable the NIC in one of them?

I'm corn-fused here.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:40 pm

Oh, idea...

I'd recommend asking this over at the Folding Forums. http://forum.folding-community.org (iirc)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Both OS are WinXP, and they are essentially the same, the only exception being one has the NIC card deactivated. Also, the F@H folder is installed in the OS that has internet access. I can click on all it's folders from the non-NIC OS no problem, except the WUTemp folder. I can't seem to access that one. Could that be the problem? Is that an F@H folder? I assume the administrator could change the access to it?

Thanks for your help Zyzzyx. I REALLY want to start folding 24/7.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:47 pm

I still don't see why you need to have a dual boot setup. If the NIC doesn't have a cable to it, ya won't have access. I don't understand the need to disable it with a second boot. There's been many times I've fired my systems up not connected to my router, all works just fine.