Quietest optical drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zergling
Friend of SPCR

Quietest optical drive?

Post by Zergling » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:10 pm

I know you can always slow it down or avoid using cds, but I still want the quietest, so what do you think? Any mod? I heard LG and Toshiba DVD-ROM are very quiet, all I have are lite-ons and they are loud.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:13 am

I've had the oppourtunity to use a bunch of different DVDrom drives over the last year so here's how I'd rank them:

1)(Quietest)Toshiba SM1612

2)Benq 1648X

3)LG 16x
1000)Lite-on

Unfourtunately the Toshiba has been replaced with the "1712" which has only 1/4th the cache of the 1612, and I don't think the Benq is still available either. You can still find Toshiba 1612's if you look around on Pricewatch. I just got one a few weeks ago.

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Post by chiahaochang » Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:47 am

I have a Toshiba SD-R1202 DVD/CD-RW combo drive and it's pretty quiet.

I also have an LG DRD-8160B 16x DVD-ROM and I think it's noisey as hell. :x Noisey enough that with CD-Throttle set to the slowest speeds, it's still noisey enough that I just ordered another DVD-ROM drive to replace it. An AOpen DVD-1648, hopefully it's quieter.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:05 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: 1000)Lite-on

I have a lite-on DVD that's completely inaudible during DVD playback. During regular use it isn't quiet, but I generally don't care if it is during that sort of use. All I know is that I can't hear it above anything in my case (the only fans in the entire case are in a seasonic 300W power supply, and a Seagate Barracuda IV drive) during DVD playback.

Exceptionally quiet, and the quietness was also noted on a StorageReview.com article on the DVD drive (which was why I got it).

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:44 am

Beyonder wrote:

I have a lite-on DVD that's completely inaudible during DVD playback. During regular use it isn't quiet, but I generally don't care if it is during that sort of use. All I know is that I can't hear it above anything in my case (the only fans in the entire case are in a seasonic 300W power supply, and a Seagate Barracuda IV drive) during DVD playback.

Exceptionally quiet, and the quietness was also noted on a StorageReview.com article on the DVD drive (which was why I got it).
DVD playback is at 1x. I bet ANY DVDrom drive will be virtually silent at 1x.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:30 am

I agree with your point, my LG DVD-ROM plays DVD quiet too. But stick in a CD and the thing spins upto 40x which makes quite a bit of noise. I personally don't find optical drives a noise obstacle since I rarely use it, I use CD emulator software where possible. :D

Syphon869

Post by Syphon869 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:59 pm

Beyonder wrote:

I have a lite-on DVD that's completely inaudible during DVD playback. During regular use it isn't quiet, but I generally don't care if it is during that sort of use.
Same drive, same thoughts.

tridion

Post by tridion » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:30 am

I had an LG combo drive which was very quiet.

My other combo was a Pioneer and sounded like a jet engine. However, I currently have a Pioneer A104 DVD writer and this is fairly quiet.

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Post by chiahaochang » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:52 am

chiahaochang wrote:Noisey enough that with CD-Throttle set to the slowest speeds, it's still noisey enough that I just ordered another DVD-ROM drive to replace it. An AOpen DVD-1648, hopefully it's quieter.
Well, I received and installed my Aopen DVD-1648/LKY. It is MUCH quieter than the LG DRD-8160B. When playing back DVDs, I can't hear it over the sound of the case/CPU/PSU fans. It's decent, the Toshiba I have is still quieter, though a little slower (12x DVD read vs 16x).

slippy

Post by slippy » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:52 pm

just don't get the pioneer 16x slot dvd
loud as heck without any covering in front

glad to hear the lg dvd/cdrw drive is quiet since i've been eyeing one of those

anyone have any experience with the samsung combo drive?

Zergling
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zergling » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:59 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: 1)(Quietest)Toshiba SM1612
Unfourtunately the Toshiba has been replaced with the "1712" which has only 1/4th the cache of the 1612, and I don't think the Benq is still available either. You can still find Toshiba 1612's if you look around on Pricewatch. I just got one a few weeks ago.
Thanks for the input, I searched pricewatch and it seems a lot of vendors are confused about the cache size, according to Toshiba, 1612 has 512kb and 1712 has 192kb, does the cache size even matter? Speed is not an issue here:) Anyway I will get a Toshiba.

mudboy

Post by mudboy » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:30 am

slippy wrote:just don't get the pioneer 16x slot dvd
loud as heck without any covering in front

glad to hear the lg dvd/cdrw drive is quiet since i've been eyeing one of those

anyone have any experience with the samsung combo drive?
You are absolutely correct. My Pioneer slot-load DVD sounds like a jet getting ready for takeoff. My Plextor 16/10/40 isn't that quiet, either, but it's a lot better than the Pioneer, and it rips DA at twice the speed.

Anyone have any experience with the Plextor CD-RW/DVD combo drive?

Pete

shunx

Post by shunx » Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:20 am

if there's a big difference between different drives, how about a Recommended list for optic drives too?

TMiB

Post by TMiB » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:44 am

For DVD playback, you can get a utility from Pioneer to slow down their drives - either slot or tray - which (so I'm told) makes them inaudible. I've seen them widely recommended as one of the quietest.

Only problem is that I can't find a black Pioneer drive anywhere (for shipping to Europe), so any other suggestions would be great. I agree with shunx that a recommended list would be good.

aaronspink

Post by aaronspink » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:26 pm

TMiB wrote:For DVD playback, you can get a utility from Pioneer to slow down their drives - either slot or tray - which (so I'm told) makes them inaudible. I've seen them widely recommended as one of the quietest.
Any idea of where to get this utility? I looked at Pioneer's site but couldn't find it.

aaron

Destron

Post by Destron » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:50 pm

There is a similar discussion going on at arstechnica.

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopi ... 4020983445

You might have to cut and paste that monster link. If it doesn't work, got to:

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/

then to a/v club forum and the topic "What PC DVD drive to buy?"

TMiB

Post by TMiB » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:47 am

Pioneer slow-down utility is on this page, in the "Utility" section:

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multimedia ... _files.htm

TheEagleCD

Post by TheEagleCD » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:04 am

I'm using the Toshiba 1612 and I'd say that it is rather quiet compared to other optical drives I've used.
My LiteOn Burner can't be classified as quiet (it's disturbing while playing games), but using the tool "CD-Bremse" to slow it down really helps a lot. A LiteOn 52xCD-Drive which is in my sister computer, is horribly loud as long as I don't slow it down.
Regards,
TheEagleCD

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:22 pm

I' currently considering to get a Toshiba SDM 1712 to replace my loud Pioneer DVD A04S Slot-In, though I'll really miss the slot loading feature of this drive, that is already the best feature of this drive - during DVD playback it's pretty annoying.
The speed of my current A04S is alright - no need to change anything, but i'd like to have a black drive like the SDM1712 AND a quieter drive as well - especially during dvd playback, but for games (copy protected ones - i don't like to crack my games) as well.
Someone said any drive would be quiet during simple DVD playback - this is DEFINITELY not the case, since NOT every drive seems to be operating in 1x mode (as would suffice) during DVD playback - I hope the Toshiba 1712 IS - don't know this for sure, so any furhter input on this drive would be nice. Thank you.

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:08 am

Samsung SD-616

This is another drive I consider buying. But i really would like to know if anyone here has some experience with Samsung SD-616 or Toshiba SDM 1712.

Which one is quieter, faster, loads up an inserted CD quicker and plays DVDs in 'silent mode'??

Any advice?

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Post by chiahaochang » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:45 am

DarkLord wrote:Samsung SD-616
Any advice?
Well, according to Toshiba's specs for the SD-M1712 http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/techdocs ... spec.shtml
it reads at 2x-4.8x when playing back DVD-Video. I have the SD-R1202 which specs the same for DVD-Video, and I find that to be inaudible above the noise sources from my PC.

I also think the quality of the spindle/motors in the DVD-ROM drive will make a major difference. I have an LG 16x DVD-ROM drive and when I use CD-Throttle to playback DVDs at the slowest rate I can set (IIRC, 4x) it's still noisier than my Aopen DVD-1648LKY at the same speeds. In fact, I think the LG at 4x is noisier than the Aopen at 16x.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:57 pm

A quiet CDRW to add to the list. Just picked this one up recently.

LG Model GCE-8481B - 48x24x48x

It is mechanically very well damped. All the sounds of things like the door open/close, or misc clickings have a smooth, damped and muted quality. Very different from the clanging and grinding and clunking of the expensive Yamaha CRW-F1E (44x) which was advertised as being quiet.

Reading data at 48x, it gets pretty noisy, but again, quieter than most others I've heard, considering the speed. Write noise is not bad-- but I have not tried it at 48X -- I still have reams of 16x rates blanks, so there is no point risking coasters. I'd get a 16x write if I could get one anyway. What do I care if a full CD takes 5 minutes or 2 minutes to burn!! :roll:

It was really cheap. An OEM version for $75 Cdn -- that's like US$45.

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:56 am

MikeC wrote:A quiet CDRW to add to the list. Just picked this one up recently.
It is mechanically very well damped. All the sounds of things like the door open/close, or misc clickings have a smooth, damped and muted quality. Very different from the clanging and grinding and clunking of the expensive Yamaha CRW-F1E (44x) which was advertised as being quiet.
Oh no! I intended to buy just this one (Yamaha F1)... :-/ Would it be better to go with a Plextor 48x? These two are the only options I found to be available in black, which is a must if i get a new CD-RW..... :-/ (same with the DVD, thats why I consider the Samsung SD616 & the Toshiba SDM1712).

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:16 am

DarkLord wrote:Would it be better to go with a Plextor 48x?
I just bought a 48x24x48 Plextor from NewEgg. I've made it this far without having a CD burner, so its gonna be nice. Another day or two and I'll have it installed and I can let ya know firsthand what the noise is like from it.

Zyzzyx
- pondering gettin LONG cables and putting all the computers in the closet

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:44 pm

darklord, im sure some uk companies sell black drives
i think there pretty comon
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?subcat=32
there u go ;)
ive sprayed my dvd/cdr drive, its pretty loud tho :( :(
i think i read in a old manual that if the drive was noisy one of the ball bearings had fallen out or sumin :/
any decent dvd/cd slow down software?
also i think cds arent all that well balenced, which makes the drive vibrate, u dont need tobe far out for it to have a effect at 32x etc
i have a door on my case, i pull that shut while im watchin a dvd, its quiet effective (50%) noise reduction, due to it being lined wid soundproofin :D
damn just want a quiet drive
shame kenwood stop makin the true x or whatever

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:21 am

DarkLord wrote:
MikeC wrote:A quiet CDRW to add to the list. Just picked this one up recently.
Oh no! I intended to buy just this one (Yamaha F1)... :-/ Would it be better to go with a Plextor 48x? These two are the only options I found to be available in black, which is a must if i get a new CD-RW..... :-/ (same with the DVD, thats why I consider the Samsung SD616 & the Toshiba SDM1712).
I've had the Yamaha F1, the 40x Plextor and 48x Plextor and the Plextors are way quieter than the Yamaha. The Yamaha reminds me of a Lite-on, it sounds like someone threw a bucket of bolts inside of it. I definitely go with the Plextor if I was you.

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:03 am

Well I'm not in the UK and kustompcs.co.uk has this nice and friendly 'message' for me:
Do NOT order unless you are a resident of UK Mainland. - We do NOT ship to other countries. - Any foreign orders placed will be cancelled and subject to a 5% administration charge.
Is this unfriendly or what? 5% administration charge... IF i would be in the UK I wouldn't order from them just because of this ... well... BS.

But anyways: A nice black bezel for my Pioneer DVD would be nice - are those available elsewhere? ... Maybe in Germany, Belgium, NL or somethin'?

So after the above posting I'll be sure NOT to go with the Yamaha F1, though I found its apperance pretty appealing... compared to the Plextor... which is still 'ok'. If I find somthing else 8cheaper) like an LG, which are supposed to be good & quiet (right?), here in germany I'll propably go with that... after i've asked about the noise of these particular units here :)

So ATM this leaves me with:
- Plextor 48x (black) as a decent but expensive cd-writer thats rather quiet than loud
and
- either Samsung 616 or Toshiba SDM1712 as a 'quiet' DVD - don't know too much yet :-/

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:19 am

darklord ill look at some other places
i would buy em for u and sell to u but, dunno much about international money transfers (never had a nigieren contact me :roll: ) or insured/ganrateed delivery.
i think there are some tho

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:24 am

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:28 am

LN4195 Toshiba *Black* x16 Speed DVD ROM, (x48 CD) 30.00 35.25
dont give a model number :( but that what u after?