Enermax Modu87+ 500W 80Plus Gold

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:21 am

NT wrote:Everything I've heard about the new x-series is it's just a "markettecture" upgrade.
(i.e. marketing exercise)

Till now everything said about these new eight PSUs is "at least" unreliable.

However, the current PSUs are definitely very good so, even if you hasten your purchase, you'd hardly be wrong.

Regards,
Luca

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:37 am

Actually, the new fanless x-series 460W and 400W Seasonics are much more than marketing exercises. Having put an early production 460 sample through some intense torture testing over the past week, I suspect they might inject new life into this sector all by themselves.

NT

Post by NT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:52 am

Oh yeah no doubt there's innovation in the new lower wattage fan-less Seasonics.

But others have commented at badcaps & johnnyguru that it's just a 10w increment for the higher wattage models.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthr ... #post63529
Do you not agree with this assertion?

I hope the new 460 isn't dramatically better than the x-650 in any way aside from noise?
Otherwise I may have to hold onto my wallet a little longer, which I really don't want to do.

*building a HTPC/PVR

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:03 am

NT wrote:Oh yeah no doubt there's innovation in the lower wattage fan-less versions.

But others have commented at badcaps and johnnyguru that it's just a 10w
increment for the higher wattage models.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthr ... #post63529
Do you not agree with this assertion?
yes I do.
I hope the new 460 isn't dramatically better than the x-650 in any way aside from noise?
Otherwise I may have to hold onto my wallet a little longer, which I really don't want to do.
*building a HTPC/PVR
No it's not. With the x650, it might as well be fanless in a typical (or even high power) HTPC because you'll be hard-pressed to push power draw enough to get the fan to start.

NT

Post by NT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:08 am

So you're just saying in that sector against similar wattage units they'll be breakthrough...
But against the x-650, aside from perhaps a little more silence at higher loads, there's no improvement?

Sorry just checking :lol:

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:25 am

NT wrote:So you're just saying in that sector against similar wattage units they'll be breakthrough...
But against the x-650, aside from perhaps a little more silence at higher loads, there's no improvement?

Sorry just checking :lol:
yup

NT

Post by NT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 am

MikeC wrote:The Seasonic has a number of pluses -- casing is sturdier, with thicker metal; all of its cables are detachable; slightly higher efficiency; the patented separation of the lower voltage lines to the back panel PCB. Technologically, it's a more advanced product, even though in actual use, the differences are probably not significant... except maybe during installation (no output cables to wrangle till you're ready), and maybe in longevity, which we won't know about till there's a large enough user base of both products over a couple of years or longer.
Hmm just came across the Anand review, they seem to think the modu87+ 700w is slightly better :?:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3655/seas ... ies-750w/8

On Pg 3 of the comments there's an interesting comment by C'DaleRider
Perhaps there is some truth to what he's saying?

Their review seems to conflict with JG's findings too...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... 5&reid=179

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:40 am

NT wrote:they seem to think the modu87+ 700w is slightly better

There's no such a thing as a free lunch.

Opportunity cost is the cost related to the next-best choice available to someone who has picked between several mutually exclusive choices. It is a key concept in economics and in real life too.

So, don't foolish yourself: there isn't any "real very best one" out there, just several pars in quietness for any given amount of DC power (even if other requirements might also matter).

Regards,
Luca

NT

Post by NT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:51 am

NT wrote:
MikeC wrote:The Seasonic has a number of pluses -- casing is sturdier, with thicker metal; all of its cables are detachable; slightly higher efficiency; the patented separation of the lower voltage lines to the back panel PCB. Technologically, it's a more advanced product, even though in actual use, the differences are probably not significant... except maybe during installation (no output cables to wrangle till you're ready), and maybe in longevity, which we won't know about till there's a large enough user base of both products over a couple of years or longer.
Hmm just came across the Anand review, they seem to think the modu87+ 700w is slightly better :?:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3655/seas ... ies-750w/8

On Pg 3 of the comments there's an interesting comment by C'DaleRider
Perhaps there is some truth to what he's saying?

Their review seems to conflict with JG's findings too...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... 5&reid=179
If you had reviewed the modu87+ 600 or 700 would it have had better results than the X-650?
Guess that's too much of a hypothetical.... :(

NT

Post by NT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Lawrence/Mike minute or two to spare?
Ever so grateful if you can.

All the best.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:40 am

NT wrote:Lawrence/Mike minute or two to spare?
Ever so grateful if you can.

All the best.
u already have my assessment -- no comment on models I have not tested, but this: technology is the same in the series.

NT

Post by NT » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Righto thanks! ...it :)

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Is it just me or does the review now show the Seasonic X-400's review...?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:23 pm

AznJason wrote:Is it just me or does the review now show the Seasonic X-400's review...?
Oops! Thanks for that -- fixed!