p183, i5-750, hd5770, ssd - extra cooling needed?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anakha

p183, i5-750, hd5770, ssd - extra cooling needed?

Post by anakha » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:13 am

After a lot of reading and pondering, I've put together the following wishlist for my new gaming pc.

Case: Antec P-183
PSU: Antec CP-850
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E LX
CPU: Intel i5-750
RAM: Kingston ValueRam 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB
Storage: Crucial C300 64GB SSD (for OS and most-used software) & Samsung EcoGreen F3 2TB

I have several questions about this setup.

1) I chose the Antec CP-850 PSU because it was specifically designed for use with the Antec P-183. However, I assume that the Nexus Value 430 would be more than enough for this system, since it's not all that power-hungry. Is the CP-850 worth the extra cost in this configuration?

2) Do I need any extra fans and/or CPU-cooling to keep the system cool (and quiet) enough? Or is the good airflow in the P-183 sufficient by itself?

3) Is the Vapor-X GPU worth the extra cost, or is it better to buy a regular 5770 with a 3rd-party cooler?

4) Am I missing anything else, or would you change something else about this configuration? All comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance for helping me with your knowledge!

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:24 pm

only a two-year warranty on that nexus power supply?? yuk

http://www.nexustek.nl/datasheets/VALUE ... tsheet.pdf

you should be able to get plenty of airflow with the stock p183 fans, even at the lowest setting, the noise is what concerns most spcr readers.

what programs are you going to run?

anakha

Post by anakha » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Thank you for your reply. The Nexus Value 430 is recommended here on SPCR, that's why I chose that one as an alternative. Of course I'm open to other suggestions. :)

Software: Win7, MS Office, SPSS 17 (with datasets up to 70,000 cases), Firefox, Photoshop (not too often) and video encoding (also not too often)

Games: Civilization V, Starcraft II, Diablo III and similar

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:38 pm

the nexus appears to be an spcr editors choice, but i didn't see any mention of a warranty in the review? perhaps i missed it, or maybe it's just not a factor in the selection process... whether or not you trust your components to a power supply that the manufacturer won't stand behind is something that only you can answer.

since you didn't mention a quieter cpu cooler fan, case fans that were less noisy, etc., it sounds like you would be o.k. with a power supply that made a bit more noise... the cp-850 rocks, but some would call it overkill for your purposes... here in the states, it offers better bang for the buck than just about any other power supply, albeit at the expense of slightly less efficiency in the lowest power useage range.

you can always replace the cpu cooler and/or the case fans later, if they make too much noise for you.

without knowing the pricing value for components in your country, it's hard to say what is best.

anakha

Post by anakha » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:49 am

Thank you once again for your reply.

It's difficult for me to know whether or not the stock fans and coolers are quiet enough, since I have no reference and this will be the first time I try to build a quiet pc. I was hoping someone here would be able to give me some useful information on that, but I suppose 'quiet' is a rather subjective term, and as such it's difficult to decide what is quiet enough for someone.

But as you say, such things can relatively easily be added in later, if I decide that the stock fans are too noisy still.