Suggest a fan replacement for OCZ SXS 600W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dtc

Suggest a fan replacement for OCZ SXS 600W

Post by dtc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:23 pm

I bought an OCZ StealthXStream 600W recently. It's quite noisy even the system is idle. I plan to replace the stock fan with a low noise 3rd party fan. I got two choices at the moment as follows:

[1] Enermax Magma - 120mm, 1500RPM, 18dBA, 69CFM, 1.4mmH2O
[2] Akasa Apache - 120mm, 1300RPM, 16dBA, 57CFM, 2.64mmH2O

Are the fans above really considered as low noise fan?
Do you think the fans above are suitable for the OCZ 600W?

If the specs given above are correct, then the PSU will be quite quiet even if the fan is operated at its rated speed. I will bring the fan lead out of the PSU and connect it to one of the 4-pin connector of the PSU and let them spin at full speed all the time. What do you reckon?

Or, do you've better suggest, e.g. better fan to replace the stock fan of the OCZ 600W?

Thanks.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 am

Scythe S-Flex or Gentle Typhoon. For PSU's you need a ball bearing (because they normally are mounted horizontally).

dtc

Post by dtc » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 am

BlackWhizz wrote:Scythe S-Flex or Gentle Typhoon. For PSU's you need a ball bearing (because they normally are mounted horizontally).
Hi... I found out the stock fan of the OCZ StealthXStream 600W is:

Manufacturer: Yate Loon
Model: D12BH-12
Dimensions: 120x120x25
Speed: 2300RPM
CFM: 89.0
Noise: 41dB

I'm wonder if Scythe GentleTyphoon (1450RPM) will do the job or not because it delivers only 45~50CFM at 1450RPM. Kindly advise.

Thanks.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:57 am

The speed of fans in PS's are controlled by the PS. They only run at their maximum speed if the PS loaded close to its maximum rated power. I would be inclined to get the 1850 RPM version of the Gentle Typhoon unless you were very sure that you would run it near its rated capacity, or at elevated ambient temperatures.

dtc

Post by dtc » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:13 am

b_rubenstein wrote:The speed of fans in PS's are controlled by the PS. They only run at their maximum speed if the PS loaded close to its maximum rated power. I would be inclined to get the 1850 RPM version of the Gentle Typhoon unless you were very sure that you would run it near its rated capacity, or at elevated ambient temperatures.
I'm not a gamer and my system specifications:
[1] Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (overclocked at 3.6GHz)
[2] Graphic card: 8600GT 256MB
[3] Titan Fenrir V2 + GentleTyphoon
[4] Two 120mm case fans (current rating of each fan 12V/0.16A)
[5] Two Western Digital HDDs (500GB and 640GB)
[6] One LG DVD-R/RW

If I replace the PSU's stock fan with GentleTyphoon, I will run the GentleTyphoon at its 1450rpm.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 am

dtc wrote:
If I replace the PSU's stock fan with GentleTyphoon, I will run the GentleTyphoon at its 1450rpm.
I assume then that you will be powering the fan directly from +12v, rather than the fan header in the PS.

This will not result in a very quiet PS. All 12cm fans begin to make audible noise as they approach 1000 RPM. That is the reason for PS makers to use a variable speed control for the fan speed. A fixed fan speed will result in much more noise than necessary a low loads, or over heating under a heavy load.

dtc

Post by dtc » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:18 pm

b_rubenstein wrote:I assume then that you will be powering the fan directly from +12v, rather than the fan header in the PS.

This will not result in a very quiet PS. All 12cm fans begin to make audible noise as they approach 1000 RPM. That is the reason for PS makers to use a variable speed control for the fan speed. A fixed fan speed will result in much more noise than necessary a low loads, or over heating under a heavy load.
Thanks b_rubenstein. Your guess is correct that I will power the fan directly from +12V. I agree with you that 12cm fans begin to make audible noise as they approach 1000RPM. I did some acoustic noise test and you may find out more here. Although it makes audible noise at 1450RPM (30dBA @ 0.3 meter), the noise it makes is much lower than the OCZ StealthXStream 600W especially when the OCZ PSU spins at higher speed even my system is idle. In fact I'm quite satisfied with noise level the GentleTyphoon produces at 12V and the only worry is I'm not sure, due to its limited CFM, whether it will do the job properly or not. Kindly advise. Thanks.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:48 am

dtc wrote:... the only worry is I'm not sure, due to its limited CFM, whether it will do the job properly or not.
That's what makes this a Ouija Board question. Without doing a bunch of experiments the only valid answer is maybe. That's why I suggest getting the GT 1850 RPM fan, cut the power connector off the old fan and attach it to the new fan and let the PS regulate the fan speed. Another perfectly good alternative is if there is an unused BIOS controlled fan header on the MB, attach the new fan to that.