Help. What happened to my WU?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Help. What happened to my WU?

Post by haysdb » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:43 pm

I got two instances of F@H running by accident, and now I am working on a different WU than I was before. I had two days of processing invested in the old WU. Is it completey lost?

David

Edit: I am 99% sure I am hosed. The 'work' folder contains no remnants of the old wu as far as I can tell.

What happened was, my son rebooted the PC (it had frozen up) and signed into his account. F@H wasn't running (because it wasn't in his Startup folder) so I started it up. Later I switched to my account and, because I have F@H in my Startup folder, a second instance of it started. This alone might not have been catastrophic, I don't know. The icon had dissappeared from my task bar, so the only way I knew to stop one was via the Task Manager. I decided to shut both of them down and restart just the one in my account. That's when I realized I was probably screwed. :cry:

The only "good" news is the new WU is only 100 frames. Maybe this will complete before I do something else stupid.

QUESTION: How can I make sure F@H starts when the PC is rebooted? It has 3 accounts. I suppose one could log in automatically, but I would want it to be my account and my account is password protected. Would running it as a service accomplish this?
Last edited by haysdb on Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Semm

Post by Semm » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:57 am

What operating system? If it's winxp, I'll tell you in a few hours when I have this winxp system up and running (or someone else will beat me to it). If it's 2000, go to "c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\startup" and put a link to F@H in it. Running as a service could work, too. Don't forget to use -forceasm, -advmethods, and the 3.25 beta client...

Semm

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:10 am

Semm wrote:What operating system? If it's winxp, I'll tell you in a few hours when I have this winxp system up and running (or someone else will beat me to it). If it's 2000, go to "c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\startup" and put a link to F@H in it. Running as a service could work, too. Don't forget to use -forceasm, -advmethods, and the 3.25 beta client...

Semm
WinXP Home.

I notice I have some F@H files in the 'Norton Protected Recycle Bin'. Wonder if I could stop F@H, move the files to a subdirectory, recover the files from the recycle bin, and continue where I left off? It's worth a try.

All Users Startup folder. Of course. Sheesh.

I saw a post on the F@H forums about -forceasm and -advmethods. They aren't necessarily a good thing for everyone, according to the post, which was by a moderator. I will see if I can find it later.

Thanks again.

David

Semm

Post by Semm » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:03 pm

Okay, I'm not totally confident about winxp, because I didn't get a chance to test it out fully with the switch users without logging one out thing (since the external modem wasn't here to download WUs), but it's at least running by default with both users now, even with the non-logout user switching going on. Here's how I did it:

-Run regedit.
-Go to hkey_local_machine/software/ microsoft/windows/currentversion/run
-Put in a new...um...forgotten already. Whichever gives reg_sz as the type.
-Call it whatever you want (I used FAH)
-For the value, put in <dos path><fah executable name> using the tilde version. For example c:\progra~1\foldin~1\fah.exe
-Reboot
-Don't blame me if your computer starts smoking :)

I'm gone for the next month, so I hope this works. In any case, happy folding!

Semm

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:21 am

I am not having much luck. I finally finished a WU yesterday afternoon, almost 24 hours ago, but my statistics still say I have completed 0 units. :(

David

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:30 pm

The stats often say "0" until you complete your second WU. At least I think that's what I've seen at the extremeoverclocking stats. I think they may want two datapoints so they can create all of their trend data.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:36 pm

Code: Select all

[22:08:59] Completed 495000 out of 500000 steps  (99)
[22:27:35] Size of work/wudata_03.goe not what saved.
[22:27:35] 
[22:27:35] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
[22:27:39] CoreStatus = 75 (117)
[22:27:39] Error opening or reading from a file.
[22:27:39] Deleting current work unit & continuing...
:cry:
David