nexus and zalman

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

MGP

nexus and zalman

Post by MGP » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:27 pm

I've see around this forum and on the website that there seems to be a consensus that the nexus 300W power supply is the best quiet ps solution. I am thinking about actually getting one of these to replace a zalman 300 apf as the zalman runs VERY warm; however, i also noticed that MikeC said in his nexus review that the PS used the same 80mm fan as found in the zalman. if so, why is the nexus a better power supply? shouldnt they be neck to neck? Thanks in advance!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:34 pm

It is the quietest, but BEST is not a word I would use. Too many other variables to be able to use that word. Like if your system runs really hot, perhaps it is not best. Or if your system requires more power. Or it only requires 100W, etc...

I want to put the PSUs from earlier reviews back on the test bench with the PSU load tester to clarify power delivery, fan noise ramp up issues, etc. Lack of time is always a factor... :roll:

Are you talking about the ZM300A-APF? If so, yes, the fan appears to be the same in the Nexus. The difference is that in the Nexus, the start (and default) fan voltage is 4.3~4.5V while in the Zalman it is 5.5V. That 1V makes a big difference in noise, the Nexus being several dBA quieter (very easily heard) in normal use. Aside from this aspect, they are very similar indeed, even using the same casing (except for the fan grill).

The heat issue is more difficult to resolve. I have not verified this, but I am fairly sure my Zalman PSU sample is a bit less efficient than the Nexus. Maybe 3-4% less. That will lead to a bit more heat, but the truth is that most of these quiet PSUs do run hotter than "normal" PSUs. There is a lot less air moving through it, so the temperature does get higher. I don't think the Nexus will be much different. The change you are considering is probably not wise.
Last edited by MikeC on Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:26 am

Like Mr. WantMyPCToBeDellSilent, I have been confused as to why the Nexus is so much better than the Zalman.

I've had my Zalman ZM300A-APF for about 6 months now and love it! I must admit after a long play of online 3D gaming, I can tell the Zalman is struggling to keep itself cool. It does start emitting noise. The noise is bearable nonetheless.

I'd have to say I think the Zalman is the best investment I've made for silencing my main computer. Although, seeing a slightly better review for the Nexus... for my next computer, I'll probably get a Nexus. I think the extra $15 (I think that's the difference in cost) for the Nexus may be worth it if it is overall a few db quieter.

The Zalman should please most but the extreme silent demanders. :)
Last edited by Dru on Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tidan_md

Zalman

Post by tidan_md » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:50 am

My personal experience with the Zalman 300A is fantastic. I can't say anything about the Nexus, though. The system I am running has one side-intake Panaflo fan and the only exhaust I am running is the Zalman 300A.

This seems to be working out very well, and I highly reccomend this cooling system. If you go with the Nexus (which, as I understand is default-volted lower than the Zalman) then the reduced airflow might make your case hotter. This, in turn, would require an additional exhaust fan, and then you're probably about where you started in terms of noise levels.

Back to the Zalman - in virtually all applications, I was not able to hear the fan get louder. It seems to run consistently at the lowest fan speed setting, and the only noise I can make out is due to the airflow itself (only audible at very close range). All-in-all I think it's worth the money. Think of it as an insurance policy on all your expensive gear, and you'll be glad you got it.