I'm currently looking to upgrade my htpc/fileserver combo.
A new motherboard has the following requirements:
- SATA must support port multiplication. Unfortunately this excludes any motherboard with an ICH7 chipset, such as the Gigabyte G31M-E2SL (a real pity, i really like this board). Also, the more sata ports, the better.
- low power
- S/PDIF or optical output
- onboard gpu which support hardware HD playback is definitly a bonus, but not a requirement. I still have a passive Radeon 4670 which i could use for that (fairly decent idle power consumption). Still, it would save on power consumption.
- Gigabit LAN (something like realtek, no ahteros)
- AMD or Intel doesn't matter
- undervolting support
I've already found:
- Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2. Fairly popular on it on this forum it seems.
Low power, but requires purchasing a separate cable for S/PDIF. Unofficially supports port multipliers. Unfortunately, recent revesions only have 4 sata ports instead of 6. I will need my Radeon 4670 for this one to play HD.
- Gigabyte GA-M85M-US2H. Geforce 8200 chipset with six sata ports, but i can't find wheter or not it supports port multipliers. It does support AHCI, so maybe
. Onboard gpu may be able to do HD playback? Unknown power consumption of the board?
Any thoughts are much appreciated!