AC Twin Turbo Pro now supports 5850

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

FJC

AC Twin Turbo Pro now supports 5850

Post by FJC » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:48 am

I wanted a new cooler for my Sapphire Radeon 5850 card, and after some research decided on the Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro. I read that it doesn't quite support the 5850, as 11 of the fins would need to be trimmed to clear a DVI port. In fact, some internet pictures showed that the Twin Turbo Pro had a sticker on the front listing both the 5870 and 5850 as supported, but had a small white sticker pasted on top of the 5850 to remove it from the supported list.

Mine arrived last night and I was prepped to have to cut some fins - but was pleasantly surprised to see that the fins had been changed so that it now clears that DVI port. The front of the package now clearly states that the 5850 is supported.

Just wanted to let you know, in case you were considering this cooler for your card but didn't want to have to do any modifications. Keep in mind some vendors might still have old stock.

(Note - many people recommend pulling the metal backplate off the stock cooler and reinstalling it on the board, to act as a large heatsink for the memory/VRM chips. Doing that DOES require some modification to the backplate to allow clearance for the Twin Turbo Pro heat pipes. But if you plan to use the heatsinks provided with the Twin Turbo Pro instead of the stock cooler's backplate, no modifications are required at all.)

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:20 am

It will fit on some 5770s too. Gigabyte and Asus have some with the mounts extended away from the video connectors.

My TTP is on an Asus with that design, it sits about two inches from the back of the case but I'm not complaining. ^^

tds

Post by tds » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 am

where did you buy your Twin Turbo Pro that fit's the 5850?

gvblake22

Post by gvblake22 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Which model of Sapphire 5850 do you have? Please post a link.

Pictures of your setup are always nice too. :)