Results for Thermalright V2 for HD5750

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bozar

Results for Thermalright V2 for HD5750

Post by bozar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 pm

I did a lot of research before i decided on buying this cooler instead of HR-03 Rev.A for my HD5750. It's much cheaper here and that was probably the most important factor.

It works well and have lots of clearance to PCI-brackets but a word of warning, buy a high quality fan will lots of airflow, the performance depends heavily on fan-speed and high airflow. My 1100 RPM 92 mm Silenx (the only semi-quiet fan in store) is not enough @ about 8V (lowest starting voltage). Temperatures rises to low 70's in idle @ 8V but stays cool @ 12V at 50 degrees. Got three Nexus 120 mm RS fans @ 7V for case cooling as well.

The idea of placing the GPU so far to the edge was an incredible stupid thing to do, almost made me buy an GTS250 instead just to be able to use a Accelero S1 Rev.2. Certainly hope they'll never repeat the same mistake.

kater

Post by kater » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:05 am

Whoa, dude...

5750 + HR 03 (4 HP's) + 92 mm fan and you score 70 deg @ idle? (yeah I now realized I misread the type...)

Are you sure the mounting is done right?

Don't get me wrong, I once put wrong spacers under a cooler and its base barely made contact with the GPU. Temps were bad in idle and dangerous under load (>60 and >100 respectively).

I mean, this card (similar to mine in terms of power & efficiency) barely needs cooling. C'mon, this is not a GTX470...

And yes, I too hate GPU's that are stupidly placed ;)

EDIT
Oops, misread which Tr you actually use... Still tho, temps seem way too high :/

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:02 pm

It's actually not that big, V2 may seem almost as big as a HR03 but in reality it's much closer to my old Zalman VF900 in size and the fin spacing is really tight. That's probably why it's performance depends so heavily on airflow.

Also the SilenX fan is really weak undervolted, probably not the best choice of fan but of the 80 mm fans that actually do fit the cooler without modding are probably even worse and also pwm fans, not a wise choice for a GPU fan.

Temps are below 50 degrees in idle while the fan runs at full speed (actually pretty quiet and but yes, more audible than my previous HD3200 IGP) though so it's not that big of a deal but if any other guys decides to try their luck with a HD5750 I'd suggest a non-reference model able to fit a Accelero S1 without modifications or check out another card such as GTS250, (cheaper in sweden if you live in the right state) even if the power draw is higher.
The HR-03 Rev.A has a bit to tight fin-spacing for my taste so I guess I'll stick with this cooling, it's quiet enough and beats stock cooling by 10 degrees in idle.

*EDIT* Maybe I was a bit unclear about the temperatures, they are not entirely in idle, got about 15 programs running and Aero-glass (maybe triggering up temps?) and the temperatures seem to be rising to the low 70's but I've never actually seen em go that high.

Besides, performance is good @ 12V so I suspect that maybe the fan stalls at undervolting? Too bad good 80 mm fans with FDB are so rare here, spacing from the fan to the sink probably matters too and makes difference.

I'll return with a post after GPU-burn testing.

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:45 pm

After 30 minutes of Furmark stability test ATI tool measured 70 degrees and Furmark 77, all case fans @ 7V or less.

Sader

Re: Results for Thermalright V2 for HD5750

Post by Sader » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Hello everyone

pls can you post some pictures of VGA with Thermalright V2 installed ?
Have HD5750 with failed stock cooler and want to replace with aftermarket one, but afraid it might not fit my Lian Li V 350 Case...

Thanks